Friedman: Doug Armstrong and the Blues are actively trying to make a trade- Targeting Nick Ritchie

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
From Reddit:

"This is going to sound like sour grapes from a Boston fan but I don't give a shit.

Ritchie is one of the worst players I've seen in a Bruins sweater in a long time. He routinely made me question what it meant to be a Boston fan, he tested my patience and my ability to root for my boys on a routine basis.

I can excuse a lot, that's what sports fandom is, right? It's a place to be biased and petty and stupid in a safe little sandbox of biased petty stupidity. But suck me sideways Thick Dick Nick made it a chore. I can handle guys lacking talent but playing with heart, I can handle a lack of heart in crazy talented guys, I can handle the staggering room temperature milk mediocrity of guys like Lee Stempniak, but Thick Dick Nick is none of those things.

He plays the game like someone trying to egg you on into taking a swing at him. He skates with the urgency of an old lady shopping for canned beats, but with half the speed. His hockey IQ is on par with Brett Favre's. I'm assuming Brett Farve has never played hockey, correct me if I'm wrong. Nick constantly skates around like he's surprised he's at an NHL game and then glides back to the bench (probably from the penalty box for a stick infraction) with the dim look of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Then he sits there like a melting chocolate Santa, with his hair inexplicably sticking up through the vent in his helmet, waiting to be surprised by his next turn to get on the ice.

Consider this: He scored 15 goals last year, found some dangerous ice as a PP scorer, and Bruins fans were debating if he would be a good 4th liner or not this year, because our 4th line was that f***ing bad, and Ritchie was the only skater who could conceivably make it worse. He scored 15 goals for us and we weren't sure if he would be a good replacement for Chris f***ing Wagner, the surly hobbit of the TD garden.

Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity. He's the equivalent of a double bacon cheeseburger on your system. He is hockey diarrhea. The guy takes the stupidest retaliatory penalties you've ever seen. He is complete invisible until you need a momentum swing, goes "Got ya boss" and cross checks someone in the neck and bumbles off the ice like Abbott and/or Costello while simultaneously shrugging and bitching to the refs and the guy he blindsided.

I'm sure he's not a bad guy IRL, I don't mean for this to be a character assassination. I'm sure he has family and besides Brett they probably don't suck. This isn't about kicking a player on their way out; let the record reflect that every Boston fan has a few memories of cursing his name and that we started kicking him long before he was down. (See also the general well wishes for Kuraly upon his departure.)

Nick isn't a goon, he's a bad boyfriend. He'll score a couple of goals one week and you'll think he's turned a corner and then he'll hit on one of your friends and tell you to chill out because he's just being friendly. Don't buy the hype, be f***ing aware.

I am ecstatic that Ritchie wasn't held onto as a sunk cost, and that Toronto signed him. There you go, that's your analysis."

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Seemed like Toronto fans were quite happy to be rid of him after their fans and media hyped him up after signing him in FA.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I wouldn’t be surprised if he has decent value in the afterglow of Nichushkin’s super late breakout. A cheap cap hit helps too.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Nick Ritchie? is there another Nick Ritchie, no one's heard of that Armstrong is talking about?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I find it hard to believe this organizations struggles early on are "toughness" related

Having some blunt instrument come in and make a few big hits isnt going to get Ryan O'Reilly his 2nd point of the season.
What has happened to ROR? Is he done at 32. His play has fell off the cliff this season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Never in my life would I read someone was interested in ANY of the Ritchie brothers....the apocalypse is upon us
f*** it. 3 way trade:

To St. Louis: Nick Ritchie, Brett Ritchie
To Arizona: Torey Krug, Ivan Barbashev
To Calgary: Ryan O’Reilly, Vladimir Tarasenko

This is the only hope the Blues have for turning their season around.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
f*** it. 3 way trade:

To St. Louis: Nick Ritchie, Brett Ritchie
To Arizona: Torey Krug, Ivan Barbashev
To Calgary: Ryan O’Reilly, Vladimir Tarasenko

This is the only hope the Blues have for turning their season around.
I want Lil Richie and Lionel Richie in that deal as well.....

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Then what does he say? Genuinely curious and don’t have the time to listen right now.
It was at the very end if you want to listen, but he specifically says it's not about the specific player, but someone like Ritchie. So, I imagine he wants to do something on defense and then some sort of physical/tough forward that can bring some energy and some offense, but I doubt it's specifically Ritchie.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It was at the very end if you want to listen, but he specifically says it's not about the specific player, but someone like Ritchie. So, I imagine he wants to do something on defense and then some sort of physical/tough forward that can bring some energy and some offense, but I doubt it's specifically Ritchie.
Gotcha. That makes sense and is probably much better.

Ritchie is too much like Zach Sanford, won’t show up for half the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad