Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
There’s a stink hanging around Roy. Until that goes away, he won’t be hired. Additionally, I’m not sure what you see in this guy that others (myself included) don’t.
Dude quotes TVA all the time, that should explain it. Lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have wondered about that as well. They might be giving him some experience and time though. Alfie said that he had no definitive job description (not sure how long ago that was), but that gives me the impression they want to give him experience in a wide variety of areas.
It sounds to me that Alfredsson does not want to be an Assistant or Head Coach nor a GM or Assistant GM at this time. He seems to want a position where he can be on the ice working on player development. I suspect he does not want to travel with the team for the away games, does not want to travel to be a scout, and prefers to be at home with his family.

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A couple of thoughts on your comment.

I think MA and SS are very discrete and want to avoid the circus of a media show when speculating. So if they are interviewing they are doing a terrific job at keeping it quiet.
More likely...

...they have a name(s) of people they like, those people are unavailable and they are willing to write off the year until they can get the person at the top of their list. He won't compromise on GM is my guess.

Just wondering, do you really think the Owner is involved in the interviews …. If there have been some that is ?

Pretty sure he is getting updates on the process, from Staios, the guy he hired to run hockey operations, and nothing more.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think he was gone no matter what. For PR purposes they lumped it in with the loss of the 1st rounder news. No need to have two bad news days. Andlauer strongly hinted that the loss of the 1st rounder wasn't the full reason for the firing as well.
Yes.

Dorion was an awful GM and a bad personality: insecure, sarcastic and vindictive.

They just had no replacement for him so he stuck around until his incompetence was so epic that he had to be immediately removed.
Is that because you think they would have waited until the season finished before replacing Dorion, or because you think they thought (or you thought) that Dorion was a good GM?
Yes. Based on current timelines, it's becoming more clear they weren't planning to make moves in-season. Getting penalized a 1st round pick forced their hand but based on how slow things are moving with DJ it doesn't seem like they had the intention to oust either of them. At the end of the season? Barring a terrific regular season and/or deep playoff run, the writing was on the wall.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It sounds to me that Alfredsson does not want to be an Assistant or Head Coach nor a GM or Assistant GM at this time. He seems to want a position where he can be on the ice working on player development. I suspect he does not want to travel with the team for the away games, does not want to travel to be a scout, and prefers to be at home with his family.
That's an interesting thought.

Yes. Based on current timelines, it's becoming more clear they weren't planning to make moves in-season. Getting penalized a 1st round pick forced their hand but based on how slow things are moving with DJ it doesn't seem like they had the intention to oust either of them. At the end of the season? Barring a terrific regular season and/or deep playoff run, the writing was on the wall.
OK. I wasn't sure, hence, I asked.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Just wondering, do you really think the Owner is involved in the interviews …. If there have been some that is ?

Pretty sure he is getting updates on the process, from Staios, the guy he hired to run hockey operations, and nothing more.
I agree with the chain of responsibility you have outlined. That is, MA hired Staios to hire the correct people. So, "no", I doubt MA is in the interviews.

I did say "they" in my post but I meant the team a a whole. If the Senators are interviewing, etc. ( I assume "the Senators" is a "they" :) )
I expect that MA and SS are of like mind and MA trusts SS with these decisions.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1701522799366.jpeg

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What’s weird is the team is happy to be bad and profitable - maybe Andlauer is happy to run the team like the Habs did - just enough to give the fans hope but really it’s about the bag and not winning

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

But Andlauer fired Dorion and not Staois so the chain of command process you describe doesn’t exist - Andlauer has opionikns and his hands on. He made the decision on Dorion and informed Staois joy the other way around

Reactions: jhutter

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
But Andlauer fired Dorion and not Staois so the chain of command process you describe doesn’t exist - Andlauer has opionikns and his hands on. He made the decision on Dorion and informed Staois joy the other way around
You make a good observation.
I'm someone who thinks (hopes) there is a decision-making hierarchy and that Andlaur is hands-off.
I'm guessing that MA made the Dorion decision because Andlaur knew more about the information exchanged during the sale process, had talked directly to Bettman, etc. and was in a better position to make the decision and announcement. I'm also guessing that Andlaur wanted to personally make a public statement to the NHL on what he thought of the penalty for the Dadanov screw-up.

If Andlaur announces the new GM I'll concede that the team has a meddling owner and I'll wonder if he hired Staois to be an advisor.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we really need to question the success of the rebuild and the ability of Dorion to evaluate his own team wrt constructing a team that can win in today's NHL and to determine their readiness to compete. How long did we need a quality RD? The top heavy types of forwards that are not suited for 3rd line defense 1st kind of roles. We see the star potential of a few of the high picks acquired through the draft and the complete tear down. We also see a team that is still not ready to compete while we spend high first round picks on a particular type of player, and to bring in players to help win now when the team around them is years away from being close to being able to compete in the playoffs.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I do, and at this point I'm not afraid to voice my opinion that I'm worried with the level of involvement by Andlauer.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What’s weird is the team is happy to be bad and profitable - maybe Andlauer is happy to run the team like the Habs did - just enough to give the fans hope but really it’s about the bag and not winning
We’ve maxed out payroll and we don’t sell out games and the people of Ottawa are infamously cheap. There’s not much of a bag here

Reactions: Dionysus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We’ve maxed out payroll and we don’t sell out games and the people of Ottawa are infamously cheap. There’s not much of a bag here

Paying a coach, paying a real GM. I’m just saying winning might be priority #2 or #3 after selling beer and jerseys.

We don’t want a hot head owner, but everyone in hockey knows DJ a is done except the Ottawa front office. So to be seen if they are about winning or about whatever this is

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Paying a coach, paying a real GM. I’m just saying winning might be priority #2 or #3 after selling beer and jerseys.

We don’t want a hot head owner, but everyone in hockey knows DJ a is done except the Ottawa front office. So to be seen if they are about winning or about whatever this is
He’s as done as done can be without being done. Even to the front office. They’ve fired him in their head already.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think we really need to question the success of the rebuild and the ability of Dorion to evaluate his own team wrt constructing a team that can win in today's NHL and to determine their readiness to compete. How long did we need a quality RD? The top heavy types of forwards that are not suited for 3rd line defense 1st kind of roles. We see the star potential of a few of the high picks acquired through the draft and the complete tear down. We also see a team that is still not ready to compete while we spend high first round picks on a particular type of player, and to bring in players to help win now when the team around them is years away from being close to being able to compete in the playoffs.
Assessing the rebuild is easy and tough.

It's easy in that we can look at objective numbers that tell us that up to this point, our rebuild has not been successful. The goal of a rebuild should be to acquire enough assets while not competing to build a core that can compete. We see that every Stanley Cup winner the expansion era has had a 52+ GF% rating at all strengths, so this is probably a good benchmark to objectively measure competitiveness. The average Stanley Cup winner in the RTSS era has had about 27-28 WAR, so that is probably a good benchmark. WAR out-predicts standing points in terms of predicting playoff winners. The team with the higher WAR wins about 60% of the time in the playoffs (per series). We are not close to these numbers. For example, last year we had 15.5 WAR. If we need 28 WAR to compete, and Connor McDavid is worth 5 WAR, we can kinda say we are two Connor McDavid's and some change away from competing. How are we going to aggregate two Connor McDavid's? We are at the cap. We have seemingly have no high level prospects. We have no extra picks. We are not a destination for free agents. We are in ownership transition. We can say our guys will get better, but by WAR metrics, they are in their primes.

The hard part is answering why we are not good enough, and the more important question is what can be done about it?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s as done as done can be without being done. Even to the front office. They’ve fired him in their head already.

2 weeks ago Andlauers giving speeches about accountability and his coach can’t even coach a team to defend the slot after 6 years and $80 million payroll with 2 former NHL coaches on the bench with him- not sure what’s wrong but the coaching sucks

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

well of course he did.

The rookie POHO was not going to fire the GM for something unrelated to anything that happened not really related to day to day hockey operations before he became POHO… it was a penalty imposed on the Franchise by the NHL, and Andlauer is the majority owner, and Governor…. So yes, he Was the one to let PD go, in this case.

Did the owner of the Leafs fire Kyle Dubas, or was it the POHO?

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I do, and at this point I'm not afraid to voice my opinion that I'm worried with the level of involvement by Andlauer.

So why did Andlauer hire Staios?
Why didn’t Andlauer just name himself POHO, just like the previous owner did?

Andlauer is NOT interviewing potential new head coaches…. You can bet on that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
well of course he did.

The rookie POHO was not going to fire the GM for something unrelated to anything that happened not really related to day to day hockey operations before he became POHO… it was a penalty imposed on the Franchise by the NHL, and Andlauer is the majority owner, and Governor…. So yes, he Was the one to let PD go, in this case.

Did the owner of the Leafs fire Kyle Dubas, or was it the POHO?

But if accountability and standards of professionalism are the standard Staois should be able to do that as POHO and make a judgement call. When GMs get fired it’s not normally the owner that heads the press conference - so to my point of this was the case 3 weeks ago the organization might not be run as militaristically as you claim.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
But if accountability and standards of professionalism are the standard Staois should be able to do that as POHO and make a judgement call. When GMs get fired it’s not normally the owner that heads the press conference - so to my point of this was the case 3 weeks ago the organization might not be run as militaristically as you claim.
I think we can both agree that, as was claimed by the poster I quoted, that Andlauer is not actively interviewing potential head coach candidates ….. as that would be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad