Management Dorion best moves

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Based on what we know now about how the Ottawa Senators handle contract negotiations, I wonder if they even tried to extend Duchene right after the trade, like the Isles did with Pageau, or Vegas did with Stone? Trade would have looked much better at the time if he was extended. Either way, water under the bridge now cause we all know what ended up happening.

Well, based on what we know about NHL contract regulations he wasn't eligible to sign...so there's that

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
tenor.gif

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
The Spezza trade was pretty bad no doubt but Nick Paul is making it look less bad.

I feel like Duclair - Paul - Hawryluk have the potential to be successful down the stretch. Paul was very good against the Sharks, Hawryluk brought plenty of energy, and if Duclair can find the touch again those 3 could provide some entertaining shifts.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Regarding White's contract.

Easy buyout in 2022 reduces risk.
He's Chabot's best friend.

Pay the friend, get your star player to re-sign.

They did what they had to do.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Regarding White's contract.

Easy buyout in 2022 reduces risk.
He's Chabot's best friend.

Pay the friend, get your star player to re-sign.

They did what they had to do.

I think Chabot secures his $64 million regardless of White’s contract. What else would he do ? Holdout and force a trade ?

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
his best move will be to load up on toilet paper and head to his cottage for the next 3 months.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So as of now....

Erik Karlsson
Francis Perron
2019 83rd Overall

for

2020 3rd Overall (*Pre-lottery)
2020 79th Overall Pick <-------- (1.5 years of Dylan Demelo)
2021 2nd Round Pick
Mads Sogaard
Josh Norris
Rudolfs Balcers
Chris Tierney (2 years so far 1 RFA year left)

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Honourable mention to whatever PD did to get the Try hard Sens to the 2-3 draft spots on the last game of the season. There wasn’t a point all season I thought we would end up here.

Last edited:

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
:popcorn:
So as of now....

Erik Karlsson
Francis Perron
2019 83rd Overall

for

2020 3rd Overall (*Pre-lottery)
2020 79th Overall Pick <-------- (1.5 years of Dylan Demelo)
2021 2nd Round Pick
Mads Sogaard
Josh Norris
Rudolfs Balcers
Chris Tierney (2 years so far 1 RFA year left)

:thumbu::popcorn::thumbu::popcorn::D:)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've long been of the opinion that some of Dorion's best moves were not committing to long term, high AAV deals to UFA players.

Not much to do with the country effectively shut down so i was reading the main boards. I found this poll/post interesting

The Top 50 Assets in the NHL - 2020

Stone listed as the 49th best "asset" in the NHL and Karlsson not on the list, which frankly would have been unfathomable 2 years ago

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
The trade that sent Dzingel to Columbus for Anthony Duclair + 2nd pick 2020 + 2nd pick 2021 looks very good now.

Dorion used the 2020 2nd pick to acquire Matt Murray.

So for now the trade looks like Ryan Dzingel + Johnny Gruden VS Anthony Duclair + Matt Murray + 2nd pick 2021.

we just have to wait and see who are we going to pick or aquire with that 2021 2nd pick.

This is some good assets management by Pierre!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Thank you Pierre Dorion, for not signing Kyle Turris, and meeting his unreasonable demands for a 6 year term at 6 Mill per, or thereabouts... wasn’t worth it then, and you’ve been proven right

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thank you Pierre Dorion, for not signing Kyle Turris, and meeting his unreasonable demands for a 6 year term at 6 Mill per, or thereabouts... wasn’t worth it then, and you’ve been proven right

Meh, I didn't like the contract one bit and I very much liked Turris as a player.

You can like someone and not like their contract demands. Like Duclair now.

In both these cases it seems pretty obvious.

I'll give Dorion credit though for passing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Didn't Turris want 7 years, and the team offered 5 years? And people were pissed that we didn't settle on 6 like Nashville did?

Wow, what a bullet dodged.... I wonder if our 5yr offer was legit.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Let's be honest. If Melnyk gave him the green light, he probably would have signed Turris.

Melnyk accidentally made a correct decision.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Didn't Turris want 7 years, and the team offered 5 years? And people were pissed that we didn't settle on 6 like Nashville did?

Wow, what a bullet dodged.... I wonder if our 5yr offer was legit.

Gil Gunderson said:
Let's be honest. If Melnyk gave him the green light, he probably would have signed Turris.

A lot of hypotheticals here.

A major one is that Turris would have performed in Ottawa the way he did in Nashville, where apparently forward production goes to die.

My issue with Turris wasn't his current form (at the time) but rather the fact that he was already 30 and I expected that any loss of speed, with his frame, would end his utility.

We'll find out in a new venue whether that remains the case.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Worst move was Duchene trade

best move was Condon trade
i dunno Zibanejad trade has to go down as one of the worst all time

Duchene trade actually had solid motivation/value at the time. dorion just had too much deadweight on the roster

Reactions: GCK

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not signing Turris and use him as trade asset to upgrade the Center position was the correct decision.

So basically, we "only" used a "supposedly" late first, an average prospect (late 1st from a draft that wasn't deep at all) and a 3rd to acquire Matt Duchene. The plan was obviously to fill the void at #1 C for many years to come by signing Duchene long-term.

The problem wasn't the move in itself when it happened because if it worked it would have been well worth it (late 1st + meh prospect + 3rd to upgrade Turris to Duchene). The problem is the team didn't work out as a whole (so the first became a really good piece). Sens had very good players (Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, Chabot, Hoffman, Pageau, etc) but there was also major holes in the line-up (no replacement for Methot and MacArthur, shaky goaltending and cheap/wrong coaching staff) so in hindsight it's not super surprising that it didn't work out. It could have worked but it was a big gamble because it's very hard to compete year after year in this league when most of your opposition do as much as possible financially to be competitive.

However after a successful stay with the Sens (107 pts in 118 games), Duchene got traded and returned the 19th OA pick (Thomson), Vitali Abramov (good prospect) and Jonathan Davidsson (we'll see after his injury but could still be a good support player)

Abramov is a better prospect than Shane Bowers and Davidsson was also better to have than a 3rd (could change because of injury issues), so basically the end result of this is the downgrade of the 1st round pick (4th OA to 19th OA) and NOT have been stuck with Turris new contract.

4th OA >>> 19th OA
Bowers < Abramov
3rd < Davidsson
Having Turris < Not having Turris

It's really not as dramatic as some are saying but obviously the pick downgrade is a major loss considering the rebuild. I wonder who we would have taken 4th OA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad