Management Dorion best moves

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Well as a contrast to the other post we can discuss his BEST moves here.

- Brassard trade (JBD+Gustavsson+Tychonick+3rd rd pick from Ian cole)

- Dzingel trade (Duclair+2 2nds)

-Karlsson trade (2020 1st, Norris, Balcers, Tierney, Sogaard, 2021 2nd, 2020 3rd)

- Namestnikov vs ebert and a 2021 4th

- Condon trade vs a 5th pick

-pyatt vs Nilsson

- Smith vs Anisimov

-Curtis Lazar vs 2nd pick(Alex Formenton)

-Mike Rielly vs a 5th

-Ceci and Harpur vs C.Brown and Zaitsev

if I am missing some let me know

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Best move was probably Dzingel for Duclair and two 2nds

I think it was pretty much market value at the time, as the two 2nds were delayed until 2020 and 2021, but Duclair was a great target as a buy-low pickup.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The high 5 in the mirror is one of my faves.
RZkL35s6bz-8.png

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1) Dzingle for Duclair + 2nd + 2nd
2) Condon for a 5th
3) Pyatt and a 6th for Nilsson and Archibald
HM) Smith for Anisimov
HM2) Giving up limited assets for Stahlberg/Wingels

I'm never gonna give him his due for the Brassard or Karlsson deals and I think the other ones listed in the OP are more bad than good, imo. Still nice to see that it's not all bad with PD.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
1) Dzingle for Duclair + 2nd + 2nd
2) Condon for a 5th
3) Pyatt and a 6th for Nilsson and Archibald
HM) Smith for Anisimov
HM2) Giving up limited assets for Stahlberg/Wingels

I'm never gonna give him his due for the Brassard or Karlsson deals and I think the other ones listed in the OP are more bad than good, imo. Still nice to see that it's not all bad with PD.

the thing is if you think like that for the Karlsson trade you have to think the same way for the Duchene trade when we acquire him we just came back from being 1 goal away from the SCF and we had a decent start ... it goes both way

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
the thing is if you think like that for the Karlsson trade you have to think the same way for the Duchene trade when we acquire him we just came back from being 1 goal away from the SCF and we had a decent start ... it goes both way

I don't dislike the trades for the same reason. Don't really need to re-hash why I dislike the EK deal in a thread that's about #positivevibes :laugh:

That Dzingle/Duclair deal has the potential to look so much better if we lock him up as well. That really turned out to be such a steal for Dorion. Hopefully he can take advantage of another desperate GM this year.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I don't dislike the trades for the same reason. Don't really need to re-hash why I dislike the EK deal in a thread that's about #positivevibes :laugh:

That Dzingle/Duclair deal has the potential to look so much better if we lock him up as well. That really turned out to be such a steal for Dorion. Hopefully he can take advantage of another desperate GM this year.

Yes and if he gets 2 NHL players with the 2 2nd round pick it would be a highway robbery

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I would argue that this was one of his worst. Mostly because the org could have just walked away from Ceci for nothing and tried to acquire Brown by other means than taking on Zaitsev's contract.
I knew at some point you would come in full Negative!!! Can’t even talk about his good moves lol

Reactions: JD1

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Karlsson trade
Dzingel trade
Brassard out trade
Anisimov for Smith was good but that was too late for me to care.
I like Connor Brown as an add, but not a huge fan of Zaitsev's deal.

Also, his cap circumvention game was unprecedented. His evil overlord must have been over the moon.

Reactions: DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Too many to list, but here we go...

#1 - Karlsson trade. We walked away with a fantastic haul. This has the potential to be one of the most lopsided mega trades in NHL history, up there with the likes of Forsberg-Lindros. My god... In some ways lucky. I don't think anyone expected DeMelo to go from a unqualified RFA to a steady 4/5 presence. I also don't think we expected Norris to be this good this fast (although this is Dorion we're talking about here, so who knows). But one way it was not lucky was the 1st round pick. It was not lottery protected, it was lottery boosted. We just needed San Jose to miss the playoffs once in 2018-19 or 2019-20 in order to get a lottery pick. He absolutely stacked the deck in his favour with the conditions on that pick. It was not hard to imagine a declining team with an old core like this to miss the playoffs at least once in those two seasons, as I correctly predicted shortly after the trade.

#2 - Dzingel trade. Good lord... We walked away with a 20+ goal scorer and two 2nd round picks for a rental who was healthy scratched in the playoffs just a couple months later.

#3 - Brassard to Pittsburgh trade. We got a 1st(JBD), 2nd(Tychonik), 3rd(used in Zaitsev/Ceci trade) and Gustavsson out of this. This trade proved that Dorion is a master of the 3 way trade. It was so brilliant and clever that the NHL initially rejected this trade because they thought he was circumventing the cap. Brassard was eventually traded for a 3rd round pick a mere season later.

So many of his small trades were fantastic too:

#4 - Nilsson trade. We basically got our starter for next season for a 6th round pick and the privilege of taking Pyatt off our hands. What's not to like?

#5 - Anisimov trade. We got the cheaper player, who is on a 20+ goal pace for Smith who is worse and more expensive. Simple but effective.

#6 - Zaitsev/Brown trade. Everyone seems to forget we got Connor Brown out of this trade. He's good player who scored 20 as a rookie and is finding his touch again this season now that he's not buried on the 4th line. We also got the better of the two defensemen.

#7 - Condon. He saved our 2016-17 season.

Most importantly, the best moves Dorion has made is cutting loose players right before they decline. We dodged a massive bullet refused to give Turris a lengthy deal. We dodged another one when he unloaded Brassard when he did. Same with Phaneuf. We got Formenton for Lazar.

At this point, he's fleeced so many GMs that I worry nobody wants to trade with him anymore.

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Dzingel Trade
Dzingel is a very replaceable player, so even getting a couple 2nds for him in his walk year is fine value. The value Duclair has added is gravy, and if he remains a viable middle 6 forward this is a homerun trade.

Brassard Trade
He got max value for UFA Brassard. Two years later it looks like Gustavsson is facing an uphill battle to become an NHL goalie, but at the time it would have been unreasonable to expect better.

Chabot Extension I guess?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The best trade this GM ever makes could be the Karlsson deal which keeps on giving & not just giving, but with quality players & picks too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad