Post-Game Talk: Don't think "lose" is the right word

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I have fixed emotions about that game. I don't know if it was late at night or the feeling it would be an auto loss as the second night of a back to back with Reimer in net, but I'm willing to forgive last night. The Mason Raymond deke that was so epic he confused himself fell into the boards, the Dion Stevens hit on teammate JVR were brutal...

What I am really upset with are the San Jose Sharks. I wish we had a few more games with them to bloody them up next time because it looks like they were having way too much fun in a regular season blow out. Yeah yuck it up Joe Pavelski, we know what you get up to in a big Olympic elimination game or in the playoffs. Can't wait to see any one of the Blues, Hawks, Ducks, Kings atomic smash them again this spring.

I do appreciate guys like Clarkson, Gleason and Lupul getting into some scraps though. Gleason in particular looked like a champ.

Yeah, that bugged me too, Pavelski grinning like an idiot all night. That Wingels guy also rubbed me the wrong way, pointing to centre ice after his goal that was called back.

I was pretty much indifferent about San Jose before last night, but now I'll take some pleasure when they inevitably get bumped in the playoffs again.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Yeah, that bugged me too, Pavelski grinning like an idiot all night. That Wingels guy also rubbed me the wrong way, pointing to centre ice after his goal that was called back.

I was pretty much indifferent about San Jose before last night, but now I'll take some pleasure when they inevitably get bumped in the playoffs again.

Time to get some professional help once facial expressions and pointing to center ice can ruin ones day that badly.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have fixed emotions about that game. I don't know if it was late at night or the feeling it would be an auto loss as the second night of a back to back with Reimer in net, but I'm willing to forgive last night. The Mason Raymond deke that was so epic he confused himself fell into the boards, the Dion Stevens hit on teammate JVR were brutal...

What I am really upset with are the San Jose Sharks. I wish we had a few more games with them to bloody them up next time because it looks like they were having way too much fun in a regular season blow out. Yeah yuck it up Joe Pavelski, we know what you get up to in a big Olympic elimination game or in the playoffs. Can't wait to see any one of the Blues, Hawks, Ducks, Kings atomic smash them again this spring.

I do appreciate guys like Clarkson, Gleason and Lupul getting into some scraps though. Gleason in particular looked like a champ.

Sharks are an amazing regular season team that loses it's mojo every year in the playoffs. I'd say that we have about the same chances of making the Cup Finals as the Sharks :laugh:.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Sharks are an amazing regular season team that loses it's mojo every year in the playoffs. I'd say that we have about the same chances of making the Cup Finals as the Sharks :laugh:.

They're gonna be like the Canucks. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete melt down of that team in about two years :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They're gonna be like the Canucks. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete melt down of that team in about two years :laugh:

Canucks at least made the SCF but were ravaged by injuries. SJ is always healthy and knocked out well before June.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if they won the cup this year either. Make fun of them all you like, that is a very excellent team over there. And if they do break through this year all past failures will be forgotten.

It's not easy to win the cup. Especially not when you play in the West. SJ might have to play LA in the first round, then 2 more really tough teams just to get to the final. Compare that to the relatively easy path Boston has.

I realize it's all trendy and everything to make fun of SJ. Not me though, I have a lot of respect for that team.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if they won the cup this year either. Make fun of them all you like, that is a very excellent team over there. And if they do break through this year all past failures will be forgotten.

It's not easy to win the cup. Especially not when you play in the West. SJ might have to play LA in the first round, then 2 more really tough teams just to get to the final. Compare that to the relatively easy path Boston has.

I realize it's all trendy and everything to make fun of SJ. Not me though, I have a lot of respect for that team.

You can still make fun of something yet have respect. I make fun of Clarkson all the time but I think his work ethic is great.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Fair enough. :)

SJ was the "top dog" well before teams like Chicago, LA etc became good.

The Edmonton Oilers found a way to make the Finals and SJ couldn't. The "strong West" is just a good excuse for SJ to hide the fact that they are inept in the playoffs.

They have only themselves to blame for their failures. SJ isn't good in the playoffs.

Leafs under Sundin had about as good a run as the Sharks have had in the last decade and our team was nothing compared to the talent on SJ.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, Sharks have had 7 miserable years in the playoffs.

Kyle Doobas*

Time to get some professional help once facial expressions and pointing to center ice can ruin ones day that badly.
Haha, no kidding. Heaven forbid a guy smiles because he's having a good game. It's not like he was rolling around on the ice like a tool à la Yakupov.

Losing Marleau/Thornton/Boyle/etc. in a few years isn't going to help, but Doug Wilson ain't Mike Gillis.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Haha, no kidding. Heaven forbid a guy smiles because he's having a good game. It's not like he was rolling around on the ice like a tool à la Yakupov.

I wonder how they feel about Bernier smiling on the bench after Raymond stick handled himself out of a breakaway?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
SJ was the "top dog" well before teams like Chicago, LA etc became good.

The Edmonton Oilers found a way to make the Finals and SJ couldn't. The "strong West" is just a good excuse for SJ to hide the fact that they are inept in the playoffs.

They have only themselves to blame for their failures. SJ isn't good in the playoffs.

Leafs under Sundin had about as good a run as the Sharks have had in the last decade and our team was nothing compared to the talent on SJ.

Well, not saying you're completely wrong. SJ has underachieved for sure. I just think it's dangerous to just label them as "inept in the playoffs" and say that they aren't "good in the playoffs". These are the kind of labels that people apply, until they don't apply any more and then they forget they ever existed. I'm not saying SJ will win this year, but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if they did. Maybe that makes the minority, whatever I don't really care how anyone does other than Toronto anyhow.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010

I'd much prefer a 6-2 beatdown where the Leafs spend 75% of the game in the Sharks zone next game over a couple fights.

2 points should be the most important thing and San Jose cruised to that last night.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I totally missed Bernier's reaction to Mason's flub. I love seeing bench reactions when something funny happens on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad