Post-Game Talk: Don't think "lose" is the right word

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
They definitely have less scoring punch, no argument from me there. Their team D is still awesome though, they obviously know how to win (sorry for the cliche but there's truth to it in this case) and they are rounding into form nicely just in time for the playoffs. Scary scary team IMO.

If it was the Leafs, I'd rather play LA than SJ but I still consider LA a serious contender. Will be an interesting game tomorrow. One game doesn't prove anything but I don't like our chances.

oh, without a doubt, LA is a contender and a very tough team to play against.

the hairs we are splitting here are very fine.:)

I just have sj, stl (with miller) as the 2 teams in my ( not a chance, absolutely no hope of beating) in a 7 game set.

everyone else I can see ways and cracks where (if we are at the top of our game) we can take a 7 series.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I guess a positive is that is was Reimer in net. Now the team can feel like they're going to have their **** together with Bernier when they play LA.

Now we've have seen a Leafs team with the top line on fire and Bernier and net and a Leafs teams with the top line shut down and Reimer in net.

These two back to back games looked like two different teams almost mirror opposites.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Did people seriously think the result would be different?

If so, you need to drastically change your expectations of this team. There was no way they were going to compete in this game, due to all the mitigating circumstances.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Still can't get over Raymond dangling himself out and face planting in the second period :facepalm: ... A goal there could have been a turning point in the game

And after that, the PP the Leafs had with Kessel feeding a nice pass to Gards cross ice who fed a nice pass to JVR in front and tipped it wide - I knew that last night wasn't their game

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Did people seriously think the result would be different?

If so, you need to drastically change your expectations of this team. There was no way they were going to compete in this game, due to all the mitigating circumstances.

You would have had the exact same post had we lost to the Ducks. Sorry for watching our team and assuming we had a chance in a game against a better team. Time to be real fans.

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
Phaneuf only played 16 minutes last night. I have a feeling he's playing hurt.

Sharing his hurt with JVR

AnxiousGlitteringKawala.gif

Number4

Nov 28, 2006
A little while later they were mocking Kane for thinking Kessel was the best he's played with, over names such as Hossa, Seabrook, Sharp and some others. Making some pretty bad jokes about it (that Kessel might have been the best he's played with "at the Olympics. In russia. On that trip. On that particular shift" or something like that). I think it's in pretty bad taste to mock opposing players.

The quote they were talking about was Kane talking about Pavelski, not Kessel. About giving Blackhawks teammates their due more than about opposing players

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Yes, it's expected if you accept they're an overrated, mediocre team.

Two games in a row and you give up over 40 shots on goal, getting outshot by at least a 2-1 margin? :handclap: :laugh:

They are not in the same league as the contenders.

Of course, the excuses are used. The wrong goalie was used. They switched time zones. They ate the wrong breakfast. :shakehead

Where were you after Anaheim?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You would have had the exact same post had we lost to the Ducks. Sorry for watching our team and assuming we had a chance in a game against a better team. Time to be real fans.

naw, I'm not surprised we beat Ana, this team seems to hold it's own when we play teams whos offence revolves to much around only a couple of players.

I would have been utterly shocked if we had won last night, all things considered

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Be interesting to see how they bounce back in LA.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
San Jose doing their usual regular season thing. They'll blow it in the playoffs, as usual.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have fixed emotions about that game. I don't know if it was late at night or the feeling it would be an auto loss as the second night of a back to back with Reimer in net, but I'm willing to forgive last night. The Mason Raymond deke that was so epic he confused himself fell into the boards, the Dion Stevens hit on teammate JVR were brutal...

What I am really upset with are the San Jose Sharks. I wish we had a few more games with them to bloody them up next time because it looks like they were having way too much fun in a regular season blow out. Yeah yuck it up Joe Pavelski, we know what you get up to in a big Olympic elimination game or in the playoffs. Can't wait to see any one of the Blues, Hawks, Ducks, Kings atomic smash them again this spring.

I do appreciate guys like Clarkson, Gleason and Lupul getting into some scraps though. Gleason in particular looked like a champ.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I honestly believe that the leafs just matchup better against certain teams given their style of play. The sharks are obv not one of those teams, but anahiem was hence the reason we were able to capitalize on our opportunities

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
All this hoopla about the sharks being on a different level is bs... the ducks are above them in the standings, and yet we beat them the night before. guess they're not part of that same stratosphere? hockey is played on the ice, not on some stat paper.

The Sharks are a good team but they aren't that good. The different level thing is more from the leafs side. Leafs even managed to make Joe Thornton look like a world class speed skater last night.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I'm just hoping we dress 7 defensemen again. Felt a lot better about that configuration given the bodies we have and the fact that sometimes a good chunk of our defense drops the ball, and this is a good way to give more flexibility to mix it up in-game. Reduce minutes too.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Three contributions to last nights loss IMO:

1. Dion Phaneuf is really bad when he's tired and he tires easily when he plays too much in one game or in back to back games.
2. Teams with a strong 2nd line because defensively there's a huge drop off after our 1st D pairing.
3. Reimer looked terrible right from the first shot he faced.

hackamore

Jul 8, 2011
Still can't get over Raymond dangling himself out and face planting in the second period :facepalm: ... A goal there could have been a turning point in the game

And after that, the PP the Leafs had with Kessel feeding a nice pass to Gards cross ice who fed a nice pass to JVR in front and tipped it wide - I knew that last night wasn't their game

Regarding Raymond or JVR scoring , yeah...the score would have been 6-3 instead of 6-2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad