Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin' me? Playoffs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
FlyersWingsCAPSISLESPITTS
83 points82 Points82 Points83 Points81 Points
5 - Games Remaining6 Games remaining6 Games remaining6 Games remaining6 Games remaining
@ FLA - L@ CAPS - OTLWPG - WNJD - L
@ NYR - OTL@ CAR - LDET - W@ FLA - W
@ HABS - L@ FLA - OTL@ TOR - L@ TBY - L
CHI - L@ TBY 4/1 - WBOST -OTL@ PHI 4/1 - OTW@ NYR 4/1 - W
NYI 4/1 - OTLNYR 4/5 - L@ BUF 4/2 -LCHI 4/2 - W@ NJD 4/2 - W
@ BUFF 4/5 - LBUF 4/7PIT 4/4 - L@ CBS 4/4 -W@ WAS 4/4 -W
@ CBS 4/6CAPS@ CAR 4/5 - LNSH 4/6TBY 4/6
@ HABS@ PITT 4/11OTT 4/7NYR@ TOR 4/8
@ NYR@ TOR@ DETHABSDET 4/11
NJDHABS@ BUF@ NYRBOS 4/13
CAPS@ HABSTBY@ NJDNSH 4/15
BOSTPITT@ NYI 4/17
@ PHI

Isles 83 w/ 6 left
Flyers 83 w/ 5 Left
Caps 82 w/ 6 left
Wings 82 w/ 6 left
Pens 81 w/ 6 left

Pittsburgh has the toughest stretch of games, but the Isles must at least go 4-2 the rest of the way.
91 points might be the new magic #... but if Isles can reach 92, then there you have it.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This is the battle of which teams are less inept vs which teams are really cooking with gas.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Stick a fork in the devs.
Fitzgerald wears the dunce cap. There’s an example of guy that doesn’t know how to build a team. He had gobs of cap space, used it on a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

Hey, let me fix my goaltending…so, he gets mr. Mediocre in Allen rocking a career .908. Even if that’s Pennies on the dollar, Allen is junk.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Fitzgerald wears the dunce cap. There’s an example of guy that doesn’t know how to build a team. He had gobs of cap space, used it on a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

Hey, let me fix my goaltending…so, he gets mr. Mediocre in Allen rocking a career .908. Even if that’s Pennies on the dollar, Allen is junk.
Think Hughes is to blame for not leading them to the playoffs?

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Think Hughes is to blame for not leading them to the playoffs?
Nope, their GM isn’t very good and put out a team fully knowing it had major weaknesses.

The Isles are/were inept, which has got them in the spot they are in.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I see. Thanks. Pretty interesting Hughes is paid to lead them to the playoffs.
He’s on his second contract (not an 26year old on his 3rd that was a wing and prayer one) and his GM gave the team a wonky defense and goaltending, after career season by the team the prior year.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He’s on his second contract (not an 26year old on his 3rd that was a wing and prayer one) and his GM gave the team a wonky defense and goaltending, after career season by the team the prior year.
Approx same salary correct? Rather have Hughes but your close to working that double standard brother. Bottom line Hughes didn't drag his team into the fight and carry them to the post season.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Approx same salary correct? Rather have Hughes but your close to working that double standard brother. Bottom line Hughes didn't drag his team into the fight and carry them to the post season.
We’re comparing a 22 year old and a 26 year old player with very different terms of service in the league? That’s apples and potatoes.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
At 22 #13 was winning multiple playoff series but apples to potatoes?
He hasn’t done jack crap in the winning department outside of Trotz and being unleashed. That’s the problem. The TEAM had success under Trotz. Trotz Year4, Lambert, and Roy all got the Talent with minimal results.

devilsrutgersfan

May 2, 2012

Came across this thread, and have to comment. Its easy to say that looking at hindsight. As a Devils fan I can say that Fitz definitely owns the blame for what happened this year, not because of what he did in the summer, but because of what he DID NOT do during the season.
1. It was obvious that Lindy needed to go after last year, but how do you let go of your coach after the team had a 112 point season. That being said, if Lindy was fired 1-2 months earlier the Devils probably are in a playoff spot now.
2. In regard to goaltending, both Vitek and Schmid had good seasons last year and Fitz did try to get Hellebuyk, but it was too expensive. I don't blame him for not overpaying and then having to extend Conner for $8m, but what I do blame him for is not solving the goalie issue during the season. And although the sample size has been small, Allen has been great since coming to NJ (.925% and a good GSAA). Even if Allen gave the Devils a .908 this year, they are playoff team, given that Vitek single handedly cost them 4-5 games. Lastly, this team suffered a lot of injuries: Dougie Hamilton (has been out since Nov), Nico, Jack, Timo, Seigenthaler etc. And despite all that they are still in the playoff race (I don't think they will make it obviously).
3.They also lost Severson and Graves (both of whom got overpaid and aren't good in Columbus, and Pitt, respectively). Both Nemec and Hughes had to play heavy minutes and although both will be great in the future, they obviously made mistakes as rookies.

The team has a great young core and with a few improvements will be good going forward, but this is part of the process of growing as a young team. If Fitz doesn't make the necessary improvements, then he must be let go.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’ll chime in again to advocate for a call up for Monday’s game. The no call up is indicative of the lack quality Bport- I cannot imagine any other reason.

Roy is just rotating between 13 F’s and Roy rearranging the lines is him dealing with limited options.

If no call up, then Inwoukd advocate for this -

53-14-13
18-29-21
27-44-10
17-32-15

If there is a call up, then I’d go with -
18-29-21
27-14-Isk
10-13-44
32-53-15

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A win Monday night and Red Wings loss would mean

Flyers 82 with 6 games left
isles 79 with 8 games left
Wings 80 with 7 games left

They play Chicago and Columbus on Tuesday and Thursday - 2 wins there and a Redwings win

Flyers 82 with 6
Wings 82 with 6
Isles 83 with 6

SI

Feb 16, 2013
92 points
  • Flyers 83 points - 5 Games Left - that would be 4-0-1
  • Capitals 82 points - 6 games left - that would be 5-1
  • Red Wings 82 points - 6 games left - that would be 5-1
  • Islanders 83 points - 6 games left - that would be 4-1-1
  • Penguins 81 points - 6 games left - that would be 5-0-1
  • Devils 76 points - 6 games left - that would be 6-0
Flyers Final 5
  • @ Columbus, @ HABS, @ NYR, NJD, CAPS
Islanders Final 6
  • NSH, NYR, HABS, @ NYR, @ NJD, PITT
Red Wings final 6
  • BUF, WAS, @ Pitt, @ TOR, HABS, @ HABS
Capitals final 6
  • OTT, @ DET, @ BUF, TBY, BOST, @ PHI
Pens Final 6
  • TBY, @ TOR, DET, BOS, NSH, @ NYI

Last edited:
Reactions: MarsTBOW

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Interesting that DET, WAS and PHI end their regular seasons on 4/16, and then we play PIT the next night. Of course it will only be "interesting" if we're still in it. BTW, DET ends with 2 against the Habs. Sometimes those nothing-to-play-for teams are the hardest opponents at the end of the season. We can hope that's the case, anyway.

Reactions: kk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad