Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin' me? Playoffs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Just wonderful. I’m so happy for these guys. What an end to the season. 7-0-1 in the last 8 games (with 1 to go). They had their own destiny in their hands and they got it done. Can they finally knock off the Canes, let’s hope so.

6 years with Lou, 5 playoff spots with 3 different coaches. Pretty solid run for the guy and team.
Yeah, this is pretty amazing. New Owners, and we make the playoffs 5 times in 6 years. Gotta love Lamoriello and especially Roy. If they can beat the Penguins in the last game, Roy will finish 20-12-5 as Islander’s coach this year.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wonder if we see some call-ups now that the team is in the playoffs -
I would like to see Hutton, Maggio, Isk, and Dufour.
Some players could use a breather here.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
As I said in the main boards, NYI can take this series if they play with pace, quickness, and aggressiveness in all three zones. Roy has them playing this way. They absolutely *cannot hang back (turtle whatever you want to call it) passively; they'll spend 75% of the time in their zone, they'll be more apt to taking penalties, and they will ultimately lose. Couple this system with stellar goaltending, and they can prevail. Interested to see a healthy Barzal this year. Dobson get your ass healthy. Keep MM out of the lineup, he will spend his shifts chasing and fail to exit the zone.

Reactions: TMI and Osakahaus

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
The first period of the first game....that one scares me. If we get by that, play a full game...we can beat them for sure.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I wonder if we see some call-ups now that the team is in the playoffs -
I would like to see Hutton, Maggio, Isk, and Dufour.
Some players could use a breather here.

Doubt it.

For the playoffs, I'd expect the roster enhancements to be filled by Gauthier and Kuhlmann up front and Bolduc on the blueline.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
ISLANDERS STAKE THEIR CLAIM TO THE THIRD METROPOLITAN DIVISION PLAYOFF SPOT
The Islanders defeated the Devils in decisive 4-1 fashion and in turn clinched the 15th berth in the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs, marking the fifth time in the past six years the club has qualified for the postseason. New York secured its seeding as third in the Metropolitan Division and set up a clash with the Hurricanes in the First Round for the second straight year.

* Patrick Roy, hired by the Islanders in January, looks to become the second individual in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup as both a goaltender and head coach – he would join Lester Patrick who was the Rangers’ head coach for 13 seasons and played in one game as a goaltender, under emergency circumstances, during the 1928 Stanley Cup Final. This is the first time New York has reached the playoffs following an in-season head coaching change.

SCP24-Clinched-MEDIA_16x9_NYI-13112746.png

* The 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs will mark the third all-time meeting between the Hurricanes and Islanders in the postseason, with Carolina holding a 2-0 record in those series following a 4-0 sweep in the 2019 Second Round and a 4-2 series victory during the 2023 First Round.
CAR-NYI-Matchup_banner-16124537.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17922

Reactions: xECK29x

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Never thought the Isles would make the playoffs after the horrendous run a couple of weeks ago. Instead they decided to prove people wrong by turning everything around and ending the season with a 8-1-1 run.

I still believe the Isles are built for the playoffs. Let’s see if that actually matters this time!

Reactions: beach

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Never thought the Isles would make the playoffs after the horrendous run a couple of weeks ago. Instead they decided to prove people wrong by turning everything around and ending the season with a 8-1-1 run.

I still believe the Isles are built for the playoffs. Let’s see if that actually matters this time!

I believe this too - or I should say that there are plenty here who think this.

But if there's one team I don't think we can beat 4 times within 12 days, it's Carolina.

So, there's that.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Team getting hot at the right time. I don't like how we matchup against CAR, but if the can pull off a series win, they might go far...........

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Congratulations to us and To Roy and that sound you just heard was " Be careful what you wish for "

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Loyal fan for years, I didn’t expect this team to be good enough to make the playoffs and I was wrong and it comes as a bitter sweet pill because I don’t see them as anything but a team to be on a decline from mediocrity.

I do like the new coach change and hopefully off-season changes that start to move away from an older team to a quicker younger version.

Anyway let’s enjoy some playoff hockey this weekend!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I wasnt going to be able to watch the Isles play the Rangers if thats how it landed, so I'm happy its the Canes....

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Team getting hot at the right time. I don't like how we matchup against CAR, but if the can pull off a series win, they might go far...........
The Canes can be beaten if you slow them down by being physical. But, the Isles need to be clean and physical, can't take penalties. The other thing is their goalies are vulnerable. Throw lots of pucks at the net.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Doubt it.

For the playoffs, I'd expect the roster enhancements to be filled by Gauthier and Kuhlmann up front and Bolduc on the blueline.
Bolduc is already on the roster and with Dobson DTD - Hutton could be called.

I can see Kuhlman being called up due to his experience with Boston.

They should call up some warm bodies and I hope we see a kid in that mix

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Canes can be beaten if you slow them down by being physical. But, the Isles need to be clean and physical, can't take penalties. The other thing is their goalies are vulnerable. Throw lots of pucks at the net.
The Canes are going to be very tough to beat. Viewing this first round thru the lens of the regular season and this is a slam dunk series win for the Canes.

The playoffs are a different beast and we have seen this team excel this time of the year. they have to stay out of the box, get some stellar goaltending, their PP has to score timely goals, and their forecheck must be relentless.

It will be a Herculean effort - proud of this team to rally like they did and now it’s time grind this one out. I want a Rangers series

Reactions: beach

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Loyal fan for years, I didn’t expect this team to be good enough to make the playoffs and I was wrong and it comes as a bitter sweet pill because I don’t see them as anything but a team to be on a decline from mediocrity.

I do like the new coach change and hopefully off-season changes that start to move away from an older team to a quicker younger version.

Anyway let’s enjoy some playoff hockey this weekend!
Is that exciting to be the Columbus Blue Jackets?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I wasnt going to be able to watch the Isles play the Rangers if thats how it landed, so I'm happy its the Canes....
It was pretty clear the Rangers wanted no part of the Isles or Bolts, they played some of the best hockey I’ve seen them play all year the last week. They knew PIT WSH DET were probably sweeps or close to it, PIT due to experience I feel is most likely to give them a series.. They have to now hope the Isles physically beat Carolina up which even in a 5-6 game series the Isles could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad