Don't Question Kane's Passion

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
just saying i'm wrong doesn't make me wrong.....prove me wrong.....give me a player example where their personality fundamentally changed to become captains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NHL_captains_and_alternate_captains
here is a list of current captains....

to be a captain you need to be a leader with your play and have the respect of your coach and teammates....Noel benched Kane in the very first game he ever played for him.

you don't become a leader, you are born with it....kane is a talented but selfish player....it is is essence.

not a leader.

What? You make a broad-brush statement which is equivalent to 'people never/can't change', and the onus is on us to 'prove you wrong?' How ridiculous is this?

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
^we are not talking about normal people...we are talking about hockey players....of course everybody is different in their 30's compared to their 20's....but your basic personalities dont change.....in fact your basic personality is pretty entrenched at a much younger age than 22.

i am not talking about liking rap music or running out on restaurant bills or shaving his head....of course all of that will stop....but most NHL captains show leadership qualities by their 4th year in the NHL.....that's all i'm saying.

its a pointless argument.....nobody knows what the future holds....

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I'll just say one name in response to Peter's comments: Keith Tkachuk.

yes, very good one actually......that's one....jeremy roenick too.

my point is that guys like those are very much in the minority....yes people can change, but for everyone just to assume that kane will magically sprout leadership qualities because he can skate fast is no more far fetched than me saying he will likely not change.....what evidence is there that he will change?...it is not the norm for that to happen.

most NHL captains display leadership qualities from day one...there are very few examples of the opposite...which is why i say it is unlikely a guy like Kane will be an NHL captain.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
^we are not talking about normal people...we are talking about hockey players....of course everybody is different in their 30's compared to their 20's....but your basic personalities dont change.....in fact your basic personality is pretty entrenched at a much younger age than 22.

i am not talking about liking rap music or running out on restaurant bills or shaving his head....of course al of that will stop....but most NHL captains show leadership qualities by their 4th year in the NHL.....that's all i'm saying.

Smartest thing you've said.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
IMG_2569_slide.jpg

IMG_2585_slide.jpg

IMG_2589_slide.jpg
IMG_2592_slide.jpg

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
How dare you show pics of Kane doing good things in our community!! He is a thug or so everyone wants us to believe lol

Surprised no one started stories about Kane asking the kids for their lunch money in exchange for an autograph lol

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
Great post. I really get annoyed with all the talk about how kane is or isn't off the ice.

He is here to play hockey, and he does a damn good job doing it. End of story.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The fact that Kane hasn't gone totally off on people so far shows to me maturity and composure beyond his years.

To think of the player he already is at his age, that he is pretty much almost an NHL vet? That is really impressive.

I guarantee that Kane will have a letter before his current contract expires. Whether or not it's a C remains to be seen.

I'm just glad that Kane is giving haters less and less ammo to fire his way. When you **** on someone for a haircut it's frankly pathetic.

JMO

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

i am not talking about liking rap music or running out on restaurant bills or shaving his head....of course all of that will stop....but most NHL captains show leadership qualities by their 4th year in the NHL.....that's all i'm saying.

Then why did you go trough so much trouble trying to tell us how Kane will be in 10 years. lol

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He also doesn't need a letter to be a leader.

His play the last two games has to have been very inspiring for the team. Played physical, scored goals, fought when called upon, he has done alot for the team, and i'm sure the
guys in the room respect that.

Great to see in a young player. He's a bit different, but that's okay. Takes many different personalities to make a team. What i've seen this year is a guy who plays hard and wants to be a winner and help this team be a winner. The off-ice stuff is being a free spirit, and hasn't hurt anyone. If anything, there's a message about tolerance in there somewhere.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Heck I'm no big Kane fan. But even still I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and believe that everyone is capable of change for the better. Something I never would have done when I was in my 20's. :sarcasm:

Puckschmuck*

Despite Kane's off ice antics, I still have respect for the MAN. Say what you want, but he is a talented hockey player. As long as he continues to perform, I want him on this team.

teucer

Jul 9, 2011
Windsor, ON
I don't hate him, but I don't like him either. Just waiting for him to mature on and off the ice. I don't question his passion but I think there is other guys on the team that have it more than him.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
If it isn't apparent now, it will become moreso this offseason when Cheveldayoff locks up Bogo for 6-7 years. TNSE by my count looks to be building for Bogo to wear the C and be the warrior type, while Kane will be another big part of the core, but more of an flashy talent guy wearing an A with Scheifele...

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Ladds here until 2016 and I bet they resign him after. All this captain talk is a little premature

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
i dont think the team questions him at all. ive met a few of the guys through friends and they all seem to like kane. guy leaves it all on the ice most nights, with the way he battles im sure his teammates have his back. plus he seems like a pretty funny dude in person

and yea he has some fun off the ice but honestly why not. of course theres a line but i honestly cant say for sure that hes ever crossed it yet. everyone knows a funny/stupid story or two down wind about some young hockey player, they just dont always end up public like kanes.

ive heard some beauty stories about some of these "leaders" that would make you really shake your head, but as most are saying that really has nothing to do with being a leader of the team.

if your willing to goto war for the team theyl do the same for you. its all about what you show and give on the ice and in the locker room. not what you do in your spare time

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
i think WAAAAAAY too much is said about kane's age....you are the same personality type at 22 and 32....your basic character doesn't change...captains are not simply the guy who scores the most goals....they are leaders....that personality grows and matures, but it doesnt appear out of nowhere.

bogosian as an example is also 22 and he has the personality that will mature into being a captain.

are there any examples of a player who had Kane's personality type after 4 years in the league and matured to become an NHL captain?

even disregarding his off ice demeanour...i don't see his on ice character as that of a captain....he's generally one dimensional and not terribly aware of his teammates on the ice....a great player for sure, but not a rounded player like a captain usually is.

It's actually refreshing to see a 21 year old kid act like a 21 year old kid and not a middle aged man.
He has plenty of time to be "mature". Let him enjoy youth.

But really, who cares if he becomes a captain? Being a captain doesn't equal passion and that was the topic of the thread.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am NOT a super huge fan of having your stars and leading scorers become your captains. it works in some situations, like with Pittsburgh and Crosby, but it could also backfire awkwardly, like with Ovie.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It's actually refreshing to see a 21 year old kid act like a 21 year old kid and not a middle aged man.
He has plenty of time to be "mature". Let him enjoy youth.

But really, who cares if he becomes a captain? Being a captain doesn't equal passion and that was the topic of the thread.

i totally agree with this. I wouldn't mind seeing kane get a letter simply because his responses aren't the usual can-o-bland crap that comes out of every other hockey player.

Kids got crazy talent, and crazy drive. Wether or not he becomes a leader at some point, that can go either way- and i think it has more to do with what management/coaching decides their leaders look like then anything (most teams elect a very similar type of player year in year out).

and the irony in making a definitive statement about a players future, and then saying "its pointless no one can tell the future" is baffling.

Savardian Spinarama

Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I am so totally in the demographic that supposedly dislikes Kane: middle aged, white, middle class (but I AM NOT a conservative), and I like him and want him to have fun and be successful. He's becoming a leader already, and he leads by how he plays. Whether he gets a letter or not remains to be seen, but right now he's helping to set the example, something I tell my kid who's playing hockey: set the tone, lead by example, do your best.

Right now, Kane is doing that = leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad