Post-Game Talk: Don't lose your Hedman! Short handed Pens Malkin life hard for themselves, lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If you hadn't noticed, a good portion of those who direct the conversation here regurgitated the same bs only lost to the rangers because of injuries narrative that the team convinced themselves of all last summer. It won't stop now. But hey, they weren't swept, throw a party.

Yeah, missing some of the best players on the world at their respective positions is something every team just shrugs off.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We need Murray tomorrow. I dont give a crap how they do it to get a roster spot. Trade plotnikov for a pick, litr Lovejoy or waive Zatkoff heck, even send down some forward who doesnt need to clearing waivers like sheary, rust, wilson or sundqvist and let plotnikov play a game. If MAF cant go tomorrow we need another goalie than Zatkoff.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you hadn't noticed, a good portion of those who direct the conversation here regurgitated the same bs only lost to the rangers because of injuries narrative that the team convinced themselves of all last summer. It won't stop now. But hey, they weren't swept, throw a party.

The Pens have challenged for like 5/6 Injury Cups and you know what, they won one.... They did it. Believe!1!11

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Lol @ "crease clearers"

I forgot we're still in the 80`s

Keep living in your own utopian reality dude. Say hi to Mario while you're there, and discuss why the rest of the league isn't playing by your 'rules'

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
What history exactly? The freak head injury or the freak jaw injury?

Crosby has been pretty healthy for two straight seasons now. If he keeps going like this, it'll be his third. Remember that he played through his last significant injury (his wrist), probably in part because of the false narrative that he's injury prone and often takes "his month or two off".

Crosby isn't injury prone. Letang is injury prone. Malkin is injury prone. Crosby has had three major injuries that he couldn't physically play through, all as a result of separate freak incidents. But don't let facts get in the way of your cool guy jaded narrative.

Is there really a difference in playing through an injury and not producing or just not playing at all?

And I guess you convinced me that 1 of the big 3 isn't as bad as the other 2. There's that I guess. My point still stands after 7 years... It's not a new thing. It's the same story after every single season. Injuries. But nothing changes in the roster. What's the cliche definition of insanity again?

And cool guy jaded narrtative? Seems losses make people snarky around here.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Keep living in your own utopian reality dude. Say hi to Mario while you're there, and discuss why the rest of the league isn't playing by your 'rules'

I'm just going to suggest watching more hockey. It'll open your eyes.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Pity if the Pens miss out on a playoff spot by a couple points. It would be because they didn't spring for a decent back-up in goal more than anything else....

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm just going to suggest watching more hockey. It'll open your eyes.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. I typically base my opinions on the National Hockey League, not Olympic, college, international, or pee wee hockey

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I don't know what was with Sid today. Saw some really poor decisions with the puck that he had seemed to eradicate post coaching change. Honestly, the guy is a such a creature of habit that it wouldn't surprise me if these early games **** with his routine and it throws him off or something.

As for the rest, meh. Zatkoff blows but we already knew that. Outside of Hagelin, Kühnhackl and maybe a couple others nobody really stepped up and made much of an impact. Injuries didn't help. The refs didn't help. It happens. Not every loss is earth shattering. I'm actually glad they play again tomorrow. Gives them a chance to put this one behind them quickly.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't think you need bone crushers so much as you need large players who can skate. That's how the nhl is trending right now. It's going back to an obstruction league.

Most of the Penguins' wingers and depth are suited to a wide open, tightly called league like the nhl was from 2006-2010. It's an organizational philosophy that has survived for years despite the times changing.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Pity if the Pens miss out on a playoff spot by a couple points. It would be because they didn't spring for a decent back-up in goal more than anything else....

I think they'll make the playoffs when the dust settles. That said, it's stupid to start Zatkoff at this point. They're tossing the games at hand.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. I typically base my opinions on the National Hockey League, not Olympic, college, international, or pee wee hockey

No. You don't watch other games, or you'd understand which way the League is trending.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This team simply has too many talented players to miss the playoffs. Fleury will go on a tear for a few games again, or Sid, or Geno.

We'll make the playoffs. Barely. And we'll get demolished, and then this organization will spend the entire summer wondering what went wrong in a season where they saw this team as a real Cup threat. Then October will roll around, we'll still have glaring holes in the lineup, we'll still have problem players, and we'll be right back where we've been for a handful of years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This team simply has too many talented players to miss the playoffs. Fleury will go on a tear for a few games again, or Sid, or Geno.

We'll make the playoffs. Barely. And we'll get demolished, and then this organization will spend the entire summer wondering what went wrong in a season where they saw this team as a real Cup threat. Then October will roll around, we'll still have glaring holes in the lineup, we'll still have problem players, and we'll be right back where we've been for a handful of years.

As long as we don't make any trades during the deadline, I'm completely fine with this. We are playing prospects like Wilson, Dumo and Pouliot. We have a decent amount of picks. Restock, rebuild this year. Sign someone in the offseason to play with Malkin. I'm happy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

When we're fully healthy, I don't think it's as bad as all that.

Our biggest roster issue is less about not having the right piece, and more about outright refusing to try somebody different when things aren't working.

If one positive thing can come out of the game today, it's that MS actually tried Hags-Crosby-Hornqvist. That's no guarantee of anything moving forward, but it at least gives a faint glimmer of hope.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I don't think there's many illusions about the flaws this team has to be honest. In the past sure.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
As long as we don't make any trades during the deadline, I'm completely fine with this. We are playing prospects like Wilson, Dumo and Pouliot. We have a decent amount of picks. Restock, rebuild this year. Sign someone in the offseason to play with Malkin. I'm happy.

I'll agree with you there.

The East is starting to look like '06-'10 again, where there's 1 or 2 dominant teams and everyone else is just kinda there.

If Sprong pans out and they make one or two shrewd moves in the summer, we'll be more than fine. The window is still open for another 4 or 5 years.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I'm kind of in the same boat. I would be happy with standing pat, or simply removing problem players like Kunitz and Cole. I would be alright with relatively cheap moves (nondescript prospects or low picks for depth). I would be alright with a significant move with next season and onward in mind. I just hope they've learned that rentals, especially expensive ones, are not the answer when you're a borderline playoff team.

When we're fully healthy, I don't think it's as bad as all that.

Our biggest roster issue is less about not having the right piece, and more about outright refusing to try somebody different when things aren't working.

If one positive thing can come out of the game today, it's that MS actually tried Hags-Crosby-Hornqvist. That's no guarantee of anything moving forward, but it at least gives a faint glimmer of hope.

I think it's a bit of both. We're not giving anyone else a shot, nor do we really have a good solution on hand (with regard to Kunitz).

I don't think there's many illusions about the flaws this team has to be honest. In the past sure.

See also: Kunitz, Chris. Lovejoy, Ben.

But at least they've sat Cole. Progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad