Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Never thought I would say this since I am a newb on this board. Maybe the Hawks do turn this season around and salvage a PO spot. For better or worse they are playing better and are now only 7 points out of WC contention. Over the past 10 games they are 6-3-1 and maybe they are embracing the new system(s). Delia may also be an advanced diamond in the rough.
Regarding the draft it was Hughes or bust but now maybe they smell a slight possibilty to turn this season around. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I dunno, I see a lot of posters now starting to think PO now. I mean it has to be an obvious goal for both SB & JC to make the playoffs. Their future depends on it methinks.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Could it happen? Yes.

Will it happen? Probably not. 7pts is still a lot and we're not just trying to beat out one team. We have to leapfrog at least 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot. Not an easy task.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Never thought I would say this since I am a newb on this board. Maybe the Hawks do turn this season around and salvage a PO spot. For better or worse they are playing better and are now only 7 points out of WC contention. Over the past 10 games they are 6-3-1 and maybe they are embracing the new system(s). Delia may also be an advanced diamond in the rough.
Regarding the draft it was Hughes or bust but now maybe they smell a slight possibilty to turn this season around. Thoughts?
I think most of our fellow posters here believe a bottom five finish for this team is probably out of the question. On the other hand, for the Hawks to make the playoffs they have to play out of their minds the rest of the way. 96 points usually gets a team in, but not always. Very occasionally less points may suffice, but that is unusual. The Hawks have to go 30 - 11 over their last 41 games to get to 96 points! How likely do you think that is? It is roughly a 0.75 winning percentage over half the season. On the other hand, Patrick Kane and associates might view the challenge as interesting enough to go for. Athletes are usually super confident so absent another lengthy losing streak they won't let down UNLESS they start getting shakey goaltending. If Delia starts having bad games, watch some of the air come out of the Hawks balloon.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Pretty much everyone else in Team Tank has 2-5 games in hand. Need to see how things settle out mid-late January before getting too excited.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Don’t look now mala whatever the f*** that means thinks we can jump 6 teams and get into a WC spot. Cool story. Hate to burst your bubble but we have non divisional games coming. Back off.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Could it happen? Yes.

Will it happen? Probably not. 7pts is still a lot and we're not just trying to beat out one team. We have to leapfrog at least 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot. Not an easy task.

It’s basically impossible unless we win 10 more in a row. I’ll do the math tomorrow for this sweet summer child.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Well last year 95 points made the playoffs. We are at 36. For us to make that mark we would have to go 32-10 over the remainder of the season. Do you see that happening? Yeah me neither.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Don’t look now mala whatever the **** that means thinks we can jump 6 teams and get into a WC spot. Cool story. Hate to burst your bubble but we have non divisional games coming. Back off.

My bad, I thought there might be a chance but half of that last 41 game schedule is brutal. If we finish .500 or better we miss the bottom 5 and WC.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
I dunno, I see a lot of posters now starting to think PO now. I mean it has to be an obvious goal for both SB & JC to make the playoffs. Their future depends on it methinks.

There are a lot of games left to be played.....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think most of our fellow posters here believe a bottom five finish for this team is probably out of the question. On the other hand, for the Hawks to make the playoffs they have to play out of their minds the rest of the way. 96 points usually gets a team in, but not always. Very occasionally less points may suffice, but that is unusual. The Hawks have to go 30 - 11 over their last 41 games to get to 96 points! How likely do you think that is? It is roughly a 0.75 winning percentage over half the season. On the other hand, Patrick Kane and associates might view the challenge as interesting enough to go for. Athletes are usually super confident so absent another lengthy losing streak they won't let down UNLESS they start getting shakey goaltending. If Delia starts having bad games, watch some of the air come out of the Hawks balloon.
however way the org/team chose to address it internally ...... it will make this season or the rest of this season exciting and fun to watch. esp watching the development of Delia .......

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
win win ... Hawks play lights out but just miss the PO's .. they then win the 2nd OA in the lottery and pick up Kukku for Kakko!
Side note .. winning the 1OA and picking Hughes is ok too! ;)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If it happens because of Delia, younger D stepping up and Cat/Strome are as good as recently I'm happy with it

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Last 5 years the Wild Card team averaged 94 points

After 41 games Hawks have 36 Pts

Hawks need 58 points in last 41 games to get to 94

29-12-0 gets you 58 points

How will that happen ? .............. reality check time

Im happy they are playing better the last 10 games and I want the kids to develop .... I dont think they make the playoffs ..... player development should be 1st priority ......... Im happy that the team looks like they are embracing JC game plan and seem on the same page

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
Yeah, those 20 games between their first ten and last ten killed them, had they won about five more games in that span it would be much more realistic, although the 2011 team actually had 97 points and had to have Minnesota upset Dallas that last game to get in.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know this is taboo, but it’s absolotely imperative the Hawks are bad enough to land a top 2 draft pick this year. They’ll likely never get this kind of chance again and it’s inarguably the better alternative to them winning games and finishing 8th-11th in the conference.

The tank needs to happen. Just this year. Next season I’ll be right back to rooting for them to win every night.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I know this is taboo, but it’s absolotely imperative the Hawks are bad enough to land a top 2 draft pick this year. They’ll likely never get this kind of chance again and it’s inarguably the better alternative to them winning games and finishing 8th-11th in the conference.

The tank needs to happen. Just this year. Next season I’ll be right back to rooting for them to win every night.

I don't know that SB & JC approve of this message. ;);)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad