Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Too steep of a mountain to climb. Doesn't make the second half of the season less interesting. Was always going to be a development season. Progress on many fronts.

Reactions: LarmerHOF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
if the team as a whole put their best effort out there. that will be an exciting bit of hockey and we the fans can enjoy the effort.... and of course the develop of key players.

Reactions: LarmerHOF

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Anyone watching the past few weeks of games can see this team isn't among the worst. They probably won't make the playoffs, but they're more fun to watch than what was going on during the losing streak. What a waste for people rooting for the Hawks to lose every game.

Reactions: southernbeardown54

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not when it's still December.

It is when it’s December 30th and you have as many as 5 more games played than the teams you’re chasing.

You just need to many teams to go on 5-6 game losing streaks when you go on a 10-11 game win streak. It’s just not realistic.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It is when it’s December 30th and you have as many as 5 more games played than the teams you’re chasing.

You just need to many teams to go on 5-6 game losing streaks when you go on a 10-11 game win streak. It’s just not realistic.
I agree they probably won't make the playoffs, however I don't think they are going to finish bottom 5 either. They're probably going to finish in the 7-12 range. Hopefully they get lucky like the Canes did last year and jump up to 2. I'm on the Kakko>Hughes train, but I do think Hughes will be picked 1OA, so as long as they jump into top 2 I'm fine. If Stan and Kelley get the 1st pick and go Hughes, I trust them at this point. Their track record lately has been great.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I know its been mentioned before, but looking at the numbers I can't believe how many more games the hawks have played. It really hurts them to have a chance at the playoffs, not that it wasn't bleak before.

Looking at the last 10 games the hawks have a received 55% of the possible 20 points. If that trend continues they will finish the season at 81 points. Probably a top 10 pick with 76 points landing them 7th in the standings last year.

Looking at the last 8 games the hawks have a received 68% of the possible 16 points. If that trend continues they will finish the season at 92 points. Most likely not good enough for playoffs.

They are so far behind with the terrible start this year, but another top 10 pick will help and dealing at the deadline for picks or pieces for the future.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I know its been mentioned before, but looking at the numbers I can't believe how many more games the hawks have played. It really hurts them to have a chance at the playoffs, not that it wasn't bleak before.

Looking at the last 10 games the hawks have a received 55% of the possible 20 points. If that trend continues they will finish the season at 81 points. Probably a top 10 pick with 76 points landing them 7th in the standings last year.

Looking at the last 8 games the hawks have a received 68% of the possible 16 points. If that trend continues they will finish the season at 92 points. Most likely not good enough for playoffs.

They are so far behind with the terrible start this year, but another top 10 pick will help and dealing at the deadline for picks or pieces for the future.
When they trade pieces away at the TDL, they'll get worse They'll finish in the 70-79 pt range, IMO. If Gustafsson and Anisimov continue to play well, they'll probably both fetch a 1st at the TDL. With Gustafsson signed for another year at 1.2M, he could fetch a miniature haul.

IMO, Gustafsson is more valuable to another team than the Hawks.
I'd rather move him than Forsling, but wouldn't complain either way.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
When they trade pieces away at the TDL, they'll get worse They'll finish in the 70-79 pt range, IMO. If Gustafsson and Anisimov continue to play well, they'll probably both fetch a 1st at the TDL. With Gustafsson signed for another year at 1.2M, he could fetch a miniature haul.

Gus is a tough call for me and I would love to pick Bowman's brain with regards to his talent and future.

They have to start paying him right when the team projects to be competitive at 20-21 season, but if the team gets another buyout there would be plenty of money buying out.

He definitely has chemistry with Kane and that is something I wouldn't ignore. That hawks have a PP now that him and Strome are on it. Of course Boqvist would probably take over for Gus. Maybe the more I type this out I agree with you. Ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Gus should bring a lot. Hawks don't need to move him, but am anticipating they will. Certainly expect Gus' value to be greater than Forsling's.

AA a 1st? IBIWISI. Think it'll be a 2nd.

But, yeah, the team's going to be weaker after those two are dealt.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Its also a delicate balance because the team could be good next year and subtracting Anisimov and Gus when they have all the cap space they need potentially sends the wrong message to the core. I’d keep everybody and see what the team can do with Boqvist, Mitchell, Barratt, Panarin and a potential top 5 pick on the roster...and JC will have his full system established by then

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Gus should bring a lot. Hawks don't need to move him, but am anticipating they will. Certainly expect Gus' value to be greater than Forsling's.

AA a 1st? IBIWISI. Think it'll be a 2nd.

But, yeah, the team's going to be weaker after those two are dealt.
3rd line centermen who are solid defensively usually bring a 1st at the TDL.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We do not need to add even if we crawl back to a playoff spot or close by the TDL..

We do need our goaltender ding to remain elite...

Recall Ottawa in 2014/15 ...considered out of it in February, decanted by goalie injuries ..they had to call up Andrew Hammond who went 20-1-2 down the stretch (playedin 24 games..1 no decision) with a .941 save% and a 1.79 GAA.
They rode this amazing g goaltending right into the playoffs. ..

Now Hawks have 41 games remaining..We stand at 36 pts.

If Crawford does not come back and IF Delia remains elite and anything g like Hammond was ...and plays say 32 of the 41 games ..then maybe we can win 26 of these or the 52 point equivalent with a few OTLS. ..right there that is

88 points ..so Ward needs to win 4 of his 9 games or the 8 point equivalent and there is our 96 points!

A very tall order and task ..but if Delia gives us elite goaltending for around 3/4 of our remaining games we could make it ..

Goaltending is key ...

If Crawford cones back then of course Delia must be sent down and we probably sink to an 9-10 spit or worse if he cannot give topnotch puck-stopping.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
We do not need to add even if we crawl back to a playoff spot or close by the TDL..

We do need our goaltender ding to remain elite...

Recall Ottawa in 2014/15 ...considered out of it in February, decanted by goalie injuries ..they had to call up Andrew Hammond who went 20-1-2 down the stretch (playedin 24 games..1 no decision) with a .941 save% and a 1.79 GAA.
They rode this amazing g goaltending right into the playoffs. ..

Now Hawks have 41 games remaining..We stand at 36 pts.

If Crawford does not come back and IF Delia remains elite and anything g like Hammond was ...and plays say 32 of the 41 games ..then maybe we can win 26 of these or the 52 point equivalent with a few OTLS. ..right there that is

88 points ..so Ward needs to win 4 of his 9 games or the 8 point equivalent and there is our 96 points!

A very tall order and task ..but if Delia gives us elite goaltending for around 3/4 of our remaining games we could make it ..

Goaltending is key ...

If Crawford cones back then of course Delia must be sent down and we probably sink to an 9-10 spit or worse if he cannot give topnotch puck-stopping.

Pass the sauce.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I've made mention of this one time before in a GDT from weeks ago, so I'll mention it again here.

Bowman's gonna trade the 1st round pick to a team thinking they'll get a good shot at Hughes. The Hawks will receive a good top 6 forward and this other team's first. The Hawks will then string together 41 straight wins with the help of said forward and make the playoffs comfortably. They then win the cup, all the while the team we traded with just misses out on the playoffs and, lucky us, that 1st round pick we acquired ends up winning us the lottery.

We win the cup, get a good top 6 guy, as well as one of Hughes/Kakko. The ultimate best case scenario. #BelieveInOneHellOfAGoal

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I wonder if before trading Gus they should try him playing forward a few games. He is horrible defensively but great offensively. Try him on the 2nd line with Kane and see how it turns out.

No. And he's not horrible defensively. Lol. He has been average defensively all year, and has continued to get better in that regard...

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Delia needs to break a finger asap or the dreams of getting a Kakko or Hughes will be long gone very soon. He is like a wall back there, the shots that beat him have to be spot on. We have not seen this top quality goaltending on this team in decades.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Exactly. The one thing Gus can be dinged for, is his penchant for making serious dumb mistakes (usually passes). To his credit, he's cut down on these blunders quite a bit lately.

He continues to play like this, and he continues to be a huge part of a lethal power play, and you really have to start thinking about making him a part of this defense going forward. He's only 26. Is Gus worth a 4x4 contract?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as the playoffs go....here's how I see things. Hawks should have their eyes set on #3 in the central. They are absolutely capable of passing Dallas and Minnesota. Colorado is in a big slump right now, as well. Is it extremely unlikely? Yeah. But if you keep winning your division games, you give yourself a really good shot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He continues to play like this, and he continues to be a huge part of a lethal power play, and you really have to start thinking about making him a part of this defense going forward. He's only 26. Is Gus worth a 4x4 contract?

He has another year left of his deal. I am not sure it is best to keep Gus if we can get a 1st for him as we have a pipeline loaded with offensive D.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He has another year left of his deal. I am not sure it is best to keep Gus if we can get a 1st for him as we have a pipeline loaded with offensive D.

Here's the thing though. Say you can get a first for Gus. What's the normal timeline on a late 1st rounder hitting the NHL? IF they hit the NHL? Two to three years? So you move Gus with a year left at $1.2M, for a late 1st rounder, who MIGHT turn into an NHL player for you by the 21-22 season? I don't see it. IF the Hawks are going to move Gus, I would almost guarantee it will be part of a package to acquire an NHL ready, or nearly NHL ready, top six forward.

Personally, I fully believe the Hawks are planning on competing next season, so they're not moving what is currently a major piece of their power play and defense, for hopes and dreams.

Known players > unknown draft picks, especially when they are young and still fit your timeline for competing.

Reactions: succvumbedvto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad