Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Here's the thing though. Say you can get a first for Gus. What's the normal timeline on a late 1st rounder hitting the NHL? IF they hit the NHL? Two to three years? So you move Gus with a year left at $1.2M, for a late 1st rounder, who MIGHT turn into an NHL player for you by the 21-22 season? I don't see it. IF the Hawks are going to move Gus, I would almost guarantee it will be part of a package to acquire an NHL ready, or nearly NHL ready, top six forward.

Personally, I fully believe the Hawks are planning on competing next season, so they're not moving what is currently a major piece of their power play and defense, for hopes and dreams.

Known players > unknown draft picks, especially when they are young and still fit your timeline for competing.

Depends if they are a D or Forward to some extent. Pipeline wise we have a few forwards who are close and two D that should be able to replace Gus.

If we keep Gus we have to pay him after next season or get no return.

In regards to the PP comment, Boqvist can do everything Gus can on the PP but better.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The key word is should. I've mentioned it quite a few times before, but it is still not the norm for defense to hit the NHL at 19 or 20. Yes, it happens, but it's still pretty rare.

If one of the kids on D WOW's everyone next season in camp, makes the team, and makes Gus expendable? Sure, absolutely, move him. He's still going to be worth a haul next season, especially if he continues to play like this. He will only be 27. I don't think you move him this season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The key word is should. I've mentioned it quite a few times before, but it is still not the norm for defense to hit the NHL at 19 or 20. Yes, it happens, but it's still pretty rare.

If one of the kids on D WOW's everyone next season in camp, makes the team, and makes Gus expendable? Sure, absolutely, move him. He's still going to be worth a haul next season, especially if he continues to play like this. He will only be 27. I don't think you move him this season.

If you can get a first for him you move him.

Boqvist and Mitchell are coming and it should be next season.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think we will agree to disagree. What happens if neither of them are ready next season? Which is certainly possible. You now have another hole in the top 4, and on the PP. That's a huge risk to take, when you don't need to take it. You have him another year at $1.2M.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think we will agree to disagree. What happens if neither of them are ready next season? Which is certainly possible. You now have another hole in the top 4, and on the PP. That's a huge risk to take, when you don't need to take it. You have him another year at $1.2M.

That is fine.

I think Boqvist showcased he is much closer that most thought this preseason. I have seen Mitchell quite a bit this year and he is close as well. We need 1.

PP will not be an issue.

The risk is there for sure but you also risk Gus regressing.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I dont think moving banking on 19 or 20 year old not nhl games experienced guys is smart managment.

Doing that doesnt seem to field success. You move gus or aa if you dont want to be good next year. Trading them for picks especially is not gonna be a huge boost

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I dont think moving banking on 19 or 20 year old not nhl games experienced guys is smart managment.

Doing that doesnt seem to field success. You move gus or aa if you dont want to be good next year. Trading them for picks especially is not gonna be a huge boost

Agreed.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He continues to play like this, and he continues to be a huge part of a lethal power play, and you really have to start thinking about making him a part of this defense going forward. He's only 26. Is Gus worth a 4x4 contract?

Have to consider it. Eventually, Boqvist will supplant him on PP1, but not next season. If Gus was a run of the mill D man, this would be laughable. But he has elite offensive tools, a rare commodity. Thing is, a guy w/Gus' skills, will be extremely flip-able down the road.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I don't think this team contends next season. This has something to do with my stance.

I view next season the same as the 08-09 season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That is fine.

I think Boqvist showcased he is much closer that most thought this preseason.

He nearly made the team with Jokiharju. It isn't that farfetched at all. In fact, I'll be shocked if he isn't at least in the mix next year. I'll say this about Q, he has an eye for defensemen and their readiness much moreso than forwards. We'll see with Colliton.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hawks went to the Western Conference finals in 2009... Playoff experience is going to be huge for these kids. If you can get into the playoffs next season, and win a round....that's invaluable.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You keep Gus if you think he’s the guy we’ve seen lately. He’ll still have value at next years deadline if he’s a top four offensive monster making peanuts.

If you feel this is a mirage? Move him soon.

Reactions: OTC

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't think this is a mirage. And I don't think Colliton does, either. Not a lot of coaches will come out and say this:

“He’s always had the ability,” Colliton said. “He continues to battle the puck decisions, engagement defensively. He’s got the world at his feet if he wants as far as his ability to contribute in this league at a high level. He’s going to make … those special plays.
“But it’s raising the minimum level that he plays at. If he does that then he can be a top player on top teams.”

Gus has certainly upped his game under Colliton, as well.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
7 points but seemingly every other team have games in hand.

AND...winter classic coming up.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Thought about this a little more, and took a closer look at the standings.... and after a closer look, I actually don't think it's all that crazy of an idea.

The teams we have several games in hand over are an absolute mess like usual:

STL - 5 games in hand, 2 points up on them.
MIN - 4 games in hand, we're 4 points behind them but they just lost Dumba for the season.
EDM - 3 games in hand, and we're 3 points behind them. Edmonton is a mess, like usual, and just traded for Manning... yikes. :help:
DAL - 2 games in hand and 7 points behind. That's a pretty big gap, but Dallas is far from an elite force and their owner hasn't exactly made things easier on their stars recently.
ARZ - 2 games in hand, even in points. I don't think I need to explain how easy that gap is to close.
LA - 2 games in hand, we're 3 points up on them. They've been playing a bit better lately, but nothing to fear at all.
ANH - 1 game in hand, behind 8 points. Gibson and Miller both injured now so who knows what kind of dive in the standings they might take until at least one of them is healthy.
VAN - even in games, 6 points behind. Not a huge deficit entering January.

Now I'm not saying I expect this team to make the playoffs, but it's a bit more realistic than I initially thought.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Thought about this a little more, and took a closer look at the standings.... and after a closer look, I actually don't think it's all that crazy of an idea.

The teams we have several games in hand over are an absolute mess like usual:

STL - 5 games in hand, 2 points up on them.
MIN - 4 games in hand, we're 4 points behind them but they just lost Dumba for the season.
EDM - 3 games in hand, and we're 3 points behind them. Edmonton is a mess, like usual, and just traded for Manning... yikes. :help:
DAL - 2 games in hand and 7 points behind. That's a pretty big gap, but Dallas is far from an elite force and their owner hasn't exactly made things easier on their stars recently.
ARZ - 2 games in hand, even in points. I don't think I need to explain how easy that gap is to close.
LA - 2 games in hand, we're 3 points up on them. They've been playing a bit better lately, but nothing to fear at all.
ANH - 1 game in hand, behind 8 points. Gibson and Miller both injured now so who knows what kind of dive in the standings they might take until at least one of them is healthy.
VAN - even in games, 6 points behind. Not a huge deficit entering January.

Now I'm not saying I expect this team to make the playoffs, but it's a bit more realistic than I initially thought.

x factor is rooh...

Reactions: Rooh

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Edmonton Oilers acquire Petrovic from Panthers, Manning, Norell from Blackhawks in trades

“Defence is the hole we have and to continue to pick up points we need to defend (better),” said Oilers coach Ken Hitchcock. “That team we played last night (San Jose) was a real eye-opener. Four lines deep with size up front like crazy and in order to defend in your end, you need size. You can’t skill your way out of a team like that.
“You have to get it out.”

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Colliton for Jack Adams and Kane for Hart if this happens. Stan gets a lot of criticism but he's made some good trades this season.

Just from a powerplay % the O has improved massively under JC. They are currently 16th at 20%.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Avs look awful right now. Might just come down to Nucks and Hawks for the last WC.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Just from a powerplay % the O has improved massively under JC. They are currently 16th at 20%.

they're playing with so much more confidence on the pp...JC and company really did a great job fixing it...the number one unit is money

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
My expectations would be low if they made the playoffs. If they do, regardless of what happens in the playoffs, all of us should be very proud.

Reactions: southernbeardown54

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad