Don't kill me but...

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Sens fan here, as you can probably tell by my username, but is there a theoretical trade that would work for both teams here. I love Josi and he would supplement Karlsson so well, so was wondering what's a realistic price. Please dont attack me if he isn't available. My offer is Spezza+ Wiercoch or Spezza + (any forward prospect but stone) + Boroweicki, as we can't take another defenseman without shipping one out. Cheers!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sens fan here, as you can probably tell by my username, but is there a theoretical trade that would work for both teams here. I love Josi and he would supplement Karlsson so well, so was wondering what's a realistic price. Please dont attack me if he isn't available. My offer is Spezza+ Wiercoch or Spezza + (any forward prospect but stone) + Boroweicki, as we can't take another defenseman without shipping one out. Cheers!

you cant have Josi, not for any price(or at least not any players on Ottawas roster, especially not Spezza who has a blaoted contract and is one year from UFA).

Poile built this defense purposefully. It is the cornerstone of this team, Laviolette's system depends on a strong defense, and nobody else could step in on the top pair right now without switching to their off hand... furthermore and I cannot imagine Poile trading a major piece now before he has given Laviolette a chance to work with it.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Spezza with 1 year left and a wonky back won't get you Josi.

If you want Josi, I think you'd have to put Turris on the table.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If I were Poile I wouldn't even think about moving Josi. We have our top pairing locked up until 2020 and Josi is on a great deal for us. Sorry to say I don't see a deal like this getting done.

I honestly think Spezza will bring a good return but not as much as most Sens fans think. Mostly because of his contract. Teams like the Predators that are building with youth won't really be willing to give up a young player for a rental type player. Now if he was a sign and trade deal then I could see something getting done but aside from that I don't think Nashville is in the market for him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think it's unlikely that Josi is dealt at all, but if he was, it would be for a younger top line forward than Spezza. Big Spezza fan, but I don't see the Preds dealing those types of core pieces for him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Spezza with 1 year left and a wonky back won't get you Josi.

If you want Josi, I think you'd have to put Turris on the table.

This. If you want a major part of our young core (already a top pairing D), Turris is coming back.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I agree we should not let Josi get away. As for Spezza his biggest drawback IMO is his tendency to be on the IPL. Since 2000 he has only had 4 seasons that he has not had significant time on the IR. Killer guy when he on the ice, but a team misses a player like this. The same can be said of Gaborik either would automatically the best forward on the team but the chunks the season they miss would be problem.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think Turris and Karlsson are the only players off the table.

Zibenejad, Lazar, Ryan, Spezza, Methot, Ceci and others are in play.

sorry, but Im thinking Josi is off the table here, for the reasons I outlined

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah. Josi has more value than anyone other than Karlsson on the Senators. There are not any one for one's. There are few 2 for 1s that would work.

Josi IS a number one defenseman. He HAS arrived, and he is entering his prime. The ONLY downside to Roman Josi is his concussion history. He is above average defensively, well above average offensively, eats minutes, excellent in transition, excellent on both the PK and PP. He has elevated his game in all facets of competition. He has 7 more years at a mere 4 million dollars per year.

Roman Josi is one of the better players in the NHL. On top of that, he is dollar for dollar one of the best contracts in the entire NHL. He is clearly the Predators best value of contract and talent on the roster.

If Poile trades him for Jason Spezza, he needs to be fired. Immediately. There would need to be a significant ++++ to counter the difference.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Ok, I see the general consensus is he's not for sale, which I can understand, I for one would not trade Karlsson 1 for 1 for anyone but Stamkos. Are any of your other D-men for sale? I really like Ellis? Could something around Spezza for Ellis+ be worked out

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Ok, I see the general consensus is he's not for sale, which I can understand, I for one would not trade Karlsson 1 for 1 for anyone but Stamkos. Are any of your other D-men for sale? I really like Ellis? Could something around Spezza for Ellis+ be worked out

Yes. Absolutely. You will find a wide range of opinions on Ellis around here. One thing is true, he has continued to work hard to put together his game at the NHL level.

Works incredibly hard. Sound hockey mind. Good positioning. Very very good in transition and at the point on the powerplay. Good passing / Good shot. Average speed. Below average size.

His play this year indicated that he is a number 4 defenseman. I think he can be a 3-4 guy with lots of PP time with the right team. He is only going to get scraps of PP time here.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Spezza is only useful to us if he signs an extension.

We do not need to trade a good young player for a guy who will only be here one year. As important as it is to make the playoffs next season, I dont think we are in desperation mode, and trading Ellis for one year of Spezza seems mighty short sighted to me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yes. Absolutely. You will find a wide range of opinions on Ellis around here. One thing is true, he has continued to work hard to put together his game at the NHL level.

Works incredibly hard. Sound hockey mind. Good positioning. Very very good in transition and at the point on the powerplay. Good passing / Good shot. Average speed. Below average size.

His play this year indicated that he is a number 4 defenseman. I think he can be a 3-4 guy with lots of PP time with the right team. He is only going to get scraps of PP time here.
Even as one of his biggest critics I have to agree with all of this.

I was against the Ellis pick as I don't believe small only works if it comes with extreme speed, which Ellis does not have, his speed is average at best.

Ellis though has been doing a great job of changing my mind on this. He's still not fast, he's still small but he does little things to make it work and his transition game makes him a force.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
For all those "TRADE JONES NOW!" people.......I'm sure Ottawa fans would love to have Josi and Karlsson on the same blue line. They'd probably wet themselves at the thought of Karlsson, Josi, and Weber.

Here's a thought: Keep our d-men and in 3 years we'll be that team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Unless Ryan is magically resigned that's an easy pass.

Exactly. We are not going to be a cup contender next year. We don't need to trade for anyone unless we can have them for 4 or 5 years. And we really don't need to trade Josi, ever. Jones will eventually have the skills to play top pair but he normally plays the same side as weber.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

What kind of player/pick/prospect or package would it take for Ellis? Not Ottawa specifically, just in general.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Due to his size or lack there of, I don't think that he's worth all that much on the trade market, probably a b level prospect ... .30 ppg

ok, thats just silly. Ellis is an NHL roster player… even if he is undersized, he is still young and he has proven he can play at this level… so why would he only warrant a "b level" prospect? That would seem dumb to trade him for someone who likely won't make the NHL or if they do would have minimal impact… why not just keep Ellis and see if he develops even more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad