Don't Hate the Drake: Drake Batherson selected in 4th round (121)

Cbgrinder

Jun 30, 2017
I'm gonna post this here for any of you sens fans that want a little more insight in your 4th round draft choice from an eagles season ticket holder that knows Drakes grandparents and billet family in Cape Breton

first Drake has had nothing handed to him in hockey. His life revolved around the game from birth til about 11 following his dad in the later part of his minor pro career and later short stint coaching in the AUS.

He was an undersized skilled guy who got drafted late by the eagles in his second year of Q eligibility. Showed up to camp very small( about 5'8 and 155) and was a late cut getting called up to play in 10 games. Came back at the start of last season at 6'1 and 185 and made the team as a depth forward. He spent the first quarter of the season bouncing between the bottom 6 of the roster before finding his spot on the wing of the top line skating with a 50 goal guy. You could make the argument he picked up points because of playing with Gio but you can also make the argument he missed out on a lot of goals by passing the puck to help Gio hit 50.

He has an incredible eye for the game. Seems to always know where every player on both teams are at all times on the ice. Has a very hard and accurate shot when he decides to shoot. Can dominate down low in the corners and has a great set of hands.

This kid WILL play pro hockey. There is no doubt in anybody that knows him mind. It's just if it's in North America or in Europe. There is no back up plan if.hockey doesn't work out.

My biased opinion and it is biased you guys did find a hidden gem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm gonna post this here for any of you sens fans that want a little more insight in your 4th round draft choice from an eagles season ticket holder that knows Drakes grandparents and billet family in Cape Breton

first Drake has had nothing handed to him in hockey. His life revolved around the game from birth til about 11 following his dad in the later part of his minor pro career and later short stint coaching in the AUS.

He was an undersized skilled guy who got drafted late by the eagles in his second year of Q eligibility. Showed up to camp very small( about 5'8 and 155) and was a late cut getting called up to play in 10 games. Came back at the start of last season at 6'1 and 185 and made the team as a depth forward. He spent the first quarter of the season bouncing between the bottom 6 of the roster before finding his spot on the wing of the top line skating with a 50 goal guy. You could make the argument he picked up points because of playing with Gio but you can also make the argument he missed out on a lot of goals by passing the puck to help Gio hit 50.

He has an incredible eye for the game. Seems to always know where every player on both teams are at all times on the ice. Has a very hard and accurate shot when he decides to shoot. Can dominate down low in the corners and has a great set of hands.

This kid WILL play pro hockey. There is no doubt in anybody that knows him mind. It's just if it's in North America or in Europe. There is no back up plan if.hockey doesn't work out.

Thanks for the info.

Just watched him in the Dev camp scrimmage.. Looks like a good pick for the Sens.. He showed some nice hands, good vision and he hustles.

karlsgod65

Sep 13, 2016

Awesome - great to hear.
Just curious about your assessment of Gio then - 50 goal scorer good size passed up twice in draft?
Gio invited anywhere - can we reunite this combo?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

When I first read this I thought it was a fluff piece but after seeing him in action at camp during the drills & in the scrimmage this guy hustles all over the place & has a motor that just doesn't stop. He reminds me a lot of McCormick but I would imagine he might be much better offensively & is a little bigger. Really like this pick & hope he turns into a solid player for Ottawa. Good post & sorry I didn't first believe it.

Cbgrinder

Jun 30, 2017
Apparently he's been putting in the time this off season. From what I've seen of clips of him from yesterday his skating and stamina both seem to have improved since he last played in junior in April. Skating was a big knock on him.

As far as Gio goes he signed as a free agent end of last season with Anaheim. And while he scored 50 I don't see that success translating to the next level. I found he prayed on weaker teams/goalies/defensemen.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
This kid WILL play pro hockey. There is no doubt in anybody that knows him mind.

Totally agree. I was immensely impressed with his play during the scrimmage. Played his ass off and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I'm excited.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
article link

Nice Article on Drake from kings county news

data=777NU_lfcEmUFlITQY-NBOHugGszDmYsbIYG0e3DIvh64XPzlu2Ch6jBWerpN-Ylw09boBFVinCzd9zglXAW95Q_YeOO4HRMV5fQgWTDtrOe8LdNIMO5MLJKlDX86r_mZzvLRWG9PAPLXcHvKBoLij-mL6y7PfEVVHAbk81jaYtB_GN-r8JLnjndlZy1yBtw6JPcBjn5YRsla0y91caBpQ

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Apparently he's been putting in the time this off season. From what I've seen of clips of him from yesterday his skating and stamina both seem to have improved since he last played in junior in April. Skating was a big knock on him.

As far as Gio goes he signed as a free agent end of last season with Anaheim. And while he scored 50 I don't see that success translating to the next level. I found he prayed on weaker teams/goalies/defensemen.

I think that is what all the Great Ones do (feast on weaker players & the power play). I am not saying he will be a Great One as I have not seen him play.

Cbgrinder

Jun 30, 2017
Just returned home from the second day of CBSE training camp. Drake has really improved over the summer. Put on some muscle and looks like a different kid out on the ice.

Skating is a huge improvement from last season. He has a strong first few strides now and agility and stamina look to have both improved. Should have a good camp in Ottawa.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone been following this kid?

13 games - 15 goals, 24 points for Cape Breton.

Check his teammates stats and the next closest has 11 points so it doesn't seem like they're just all lighting it up. Pretty damn impressive start to the season

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Check his teammates stats and the next closest has 11 points so it doesn't seem like they're just all lighting it up. Pretty damn impressive start to the season
Quite a few posts about him in the Prospects thread.. being followed pretty closely there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There's a bunch of highlights in the stickied prospects thread.

EDIT: Great minds think alike, Sens of Anarchy.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Not sure I've ever seen growth like him in a prospect. He literally went from complete non-prospect, to 'meh' overage prospect to leading the Q in scoring within a 2 year stretch.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not sure I've ever seen growth like him in a prospect. He literally went from complete non-prospect, to 'meh' overage prospect to leading the Q in scoring within a 2 year stretch.

Very impressive.

I'm not sure how, or why, but our organization seems to get great mileage from later-round picks. It's such a luxury.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Well, we saw what Perron did in his overage Q seasons and how he has struggled to adapt to the pro game.

Of course, I'm not throwing Perron under the bus here, but not getting ahead of myself with Batherson yet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, we saw what Perron did in his overage Q seasons and how he has struggled to adapt to the pro game.

Of course, I'm not throwing Perron under the bus here, but not getting ahead of myself with Batherson yet.

Hoffman also struggled his first couple seasons in Bingo, got to give these things time. There's no harm in appreciating Batherson right now, but as you're suggesting, tempering expectations is probably a good idea either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad