Post-Game Talk: Don't call it a comeback: Pens-5, Sens-3

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We are where we are because we became more Swedish.

I actually think there is something to this. Hagelin and Horny are not only good players but they're also not the type to respond to dirty play. They just keep their heads down and keep going. Swedes in general seem pretty good about that. When Detroit was loaded with Swedes most of their guys never responded to that after the whistles crap. They just kept playing.

I miss James Neal's 40 goals but I am so glad that the Pens these days just play between the whistles. We don't get off our game any more.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Point out the points crosby got off of kunitz this year that wouldnt have happened with any other forward on the ice, and the Points kunitz got that were solely on his own talent and maybe we can get a real picture here, because the best i can tell, about 5 of Kunitz's goals were total misses redirected by defensemen or goalies or bounces off the boards off someone else into the net... so he is basically a 12 goal scorer playing with sidney crosby... he has 145 shots on goal, but took like 300 shots... he cant even hit the freaken net anymore...

There is no shame when you arent as top 6 guy anymore I dont know why we dont play someone who fits a fast game with crosby... Hornqvist plays the kunitz role of 3 years ago with fine results... we need a Dupuis type up there with him... and Kunitz is a poor fit at this point

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kunitz could probably get by on a checking line... but watch Sid between Sheary and Bennet and him between Kunitz and Hornqvist and see the total difference in how teams play them... Kunitz is the only one constantly uncovered in that group... and its not because of veteran savvy and him finding holes... its like scuderi... teams simply have decided he is the least threat to actually do anything on the ice and they need to double sid, so someone has to be uncovered...

If he's going to be lazy he won't be okay on a checking line. When they're healthy, hahahahahaha, he should probably be behind 12 forwards because he can't be bothered most of the time.

He had a great scoring chance tonight and whiffed on it. Even the announcer had a second of disbelief.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bonino had three primary assists tonight. Just saying.

Bonino has found his role here, and it's just getting the puck to difference makers. When he gets it, he's immediately trying to push the thing up the boards to Kessel or Hagelin, and he follows. When they are circling around, he gets out of their way and keeps his stick down. He's also shown enough savvy to know where that puck is going to go when they take shots. Bonino has been phenomenal.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I actually think there is something to this. Hagelin and Horny are not only good players but they're also not the type to respond to dirty play. They just keep their heads down and keep going. Swedes in general seem pretty good about that. When Detroit was loaded with Swedes most of their guys never responded to that after the whistles crap. They just kept playing.

I miss James Neal's 40 goals but I am so glad that the Pens these days just play between the whistles. We don't get off our game any more.

There absolutely is something to it. I've made a joke every single draft thread for nearly 10 years that I want to see more Swedes drafted by us. I was incredibly excited when we drafted Sundqvist, and he's probably one of the guys I've followed the most since his draft year. If you asked me what country that I believe produces the most well rounded hockey players - my answer will, and has always been Sweden. I make broad statements like that, but all Swedes play the same - they can be skilled, or they can push pucks into the net with their faces. It really doesn't matter much to them.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I honestly don't know how horny keeps his head. Nobody gets cheap shotted more than him and he never loses his cool.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bonino has found his role here, and it's just getting the puck to difference makers. When he gets it, he's immediately trying to push the thing up the boards to Kessel or Hagelin, and he follows. When they are circling around, he gets out of their way and keeps their stick down. He's also shown enough savvy to know where that puck is going to go when they take shots. Bonino has been phenomenal.

In a very short period of time he's gone from a player most wanted moved in the off-season because he was pretty much the antithesis of our new identity, to a guy most are happy to have around for another year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wanted Kessel getting looks with Bonino early in the season. If this organization is going to keep Kunitz around in some false sense of loyalty and catering to Sid, then I keep Bonino for Phil next season.

Bonino's very good without the puck and moving it quickly when he does have it. Sorta like what Sid had in Kunitz and Dupuis a few years ago. I think that's what Phil needs in a center more than anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wanted Kessel getting looks with Bonino early in the season. If this organization is going to keep Kunitz around in some false sense of loyalty and catering to Sid, then I keep Bonino for Phil next season.

Bonino's very good without the puck and moving it quickly when he does have it. Sorta like what Sid had in Kunitz and Dupuis a few years ago. I think that's what Phil needs in a center more than anything.

I really don't see how those 2 are related.

If the Pens insist on having Kessel on the 3rd line next year, they need to split up Hagelin and Kessel and give Malkin Hagelin. The Pens running with Trade-Malkin-Hornqvist, Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong/Bennett and Rust-Bonino-Kessel would make the most sense if Kessel-Bonino had to stay a thing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fehr needs to find his game now. He's really struggling.

Fehr looks like he's weak. I'd actually shut him down for the season and using him as a taxi squad guy if his play continues to look like this.

He needs an offseason and a training camp.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Fehr needs to find his game now. He's really struggling.

That penalty he took was incredibly selfish and stupid. Goes to show what a job Sully's done in how everyone keeps their cool that I was shocked to see a Penguin do something so stupid at such a critical time.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Fehr looks like he's weak. I'd actually shut him down for the season and using him as a taxi squad guy if his play continues to look like this.

He needs an offseason and a training camp.

I think when the season is over we will find out he was playing with something he shouldn't have been. I don't even hold it against him like some players. I think he's seriously injured and is out of shape. All understandable with the year he's had. I think we will see a much better player next year. Don't mistake this as he shouldn't be benched, he should.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think when the season is over we will find out he was playing with something he shouldn't have been. I don't even hold it against him like some players. I think he's seriously injured and is out of shape. All understandable with the year he's had. I think we will see a much better player next year. Don't mistake this as he shouldn't be benched, he should.

I really do believe he should be the first one scratched when we're healthy. Bennett should be 2.

Bennett hasn't looked terrible, but again, he hasn't looked great.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Reddit dug up Sheary's fiance's twitter and apparently he's okay. If they found the right twitter.

If the medical staff told him that then I have some bad news...

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
"Don't worry ma'am, your future husband will be able to walk again one day."
"But he had an eye injury..."
"No need to thank us!"

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
"Don't worry ma'am, your future husband will be able to walk again one day."
"But he had an eye injury..."
"No need to thank us!"

:laugh:

"We're happy to inform you that his eye will be perfectly fine."
"There's something sticking out of it..."
"PERFECTLY FINE! He can play in the next game. Another job well done."

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Tune into the 2nd.

See its 2-0 sens.
Sens make it 3-0 a bit upset.
Have it in background see us score 3 unanswered.

See us pull from lead.
See Sid get empty netter.

+ 5 on 3 killing that was huge
+ getting an empty netter
+ comebacks
+ scoring goals

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I really don't see how those 2 are related.

If the Pens insist on having Kessel on the 3rd line next year, they need to split up Hagelin and Kessel and give Malkin Hagelin. The Pens running with Trade-Malkin-Hornqvist, Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong/Bennett and Rust-Bonino-Kessel would make the most sense if Kessel-Bonino had to stay a thing.
If anything, they're inversely related. If we're going to do the Hags-Bones-Kessel 3rd line, we could badly use the cap savings from Kuny's contract, since even a Scott Wilson is a better choice at this point. Maybe with a bit of extra room, we can find a winger that will work well with Geno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad