Donald Brashear working at a Tim Horton's

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just lol :snide:

Just spent a week in Phoenix. Tons of fat people. The city is totally loaded with fast food chains everywhere. Giant metro area with everyone crawling in and out of automobiles to do anything, which is most often shopping or eating it seems. Go on Tinder in the USA for a glimpse at reality, it's crazy.

• "new projections show a continuing increase of obesity in all studied countries"
  • USA 40% obesity rate (#1 USA USA USA)
  • A country like Netherlands is @ 13.6% by comparison
source: Obesity Update - OECD

300+ million to under 20 million people. I think there's a big difference there. Americans do have a problem with fast food, but there's also a ton of fast food all over the place and easily accessible for people on the road who need breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Lunch breaks can often be and hour and a half in other countries as well.

But yeah, you can go anywhere in American and see the problem with fast food chains loaded everywhere, and people lining up for those drive-thru's.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
300+ million to under 20 million people. I think there's a big difference there. Americans do have a problem with fast food, but there's also a ton of fast food all over the place and easily accessible for people on the road who need breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Lunch breaks can often be and hour and a half in other countries as well.

But yeah, you can go anywhere in American and see the problem with fast food chains loaded everywhere, and people lining up for those drive-thru's.

What difference does the number of people make when talking percentages?

Want to curb obesity? The solution is simple. Eliminate sugar. Do that and you'll also eliminate a whole host of other ailments, diabetes being one.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What difference does the number of people make when talking percentages?

Want to curb obesity? The solution is simple. Eliminate sugar. Do that and you'll also eliminate a whole host of other ailments, diabetes being one.
I agree with eliminating sugar 100% - but that's into happening and too much money is made off fast food chains and products containing sugar. Percentages change. 1 of 3 people is an end result of the percentage. It's never 1 out of every 3 people. Sometimes it's 2 out of 3, 0 out of 3, etc. The more people you have the more likely that percentage is changing. The rate in America is terrible, no excuse there, but shouldn't really be compared to Netherlands. 5'9 125lb is considered low-end healthy weight. After 169lbs, 5'9 is considered overweight. At 200lbs, you're considered obese at that weight.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I haven't eaten fast food in over a decade, and neither has anyone else in my family or anyone I know, I see people going through the drive throughs, but for the most part, Americans have been eating much smarter and healthier in the last 15 years. I think the concept that all Americans are fat pigs who eat trash food is really old and no longer relevant, those days are over. You can think that if it makes you feel better, but it's not the reality. Organic and NON GMO foods are where it's at these days, unless you're very very poor or stupid, or just don't care about your health, which is a minority of Americans in 2019. Just look at our womens hockey team, best in the world, because they are healthy and fit, and ice hockey, especially female ice hockey, is barely relevant in the US :D

14,146 locations in US (second most in a country is 2,975). $7.67 billion in revenue in US last year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
A buddy of mine has Alzheimers disease. His dinner 95% of the time is a Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich. Egg, cheese and bacon on a bagel. Yea, he could healthier but his family is glad he wants to eat something somewhat healthy every day. Fortunately he doesn't crave really bad foods

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I agree with eliminating sugar 100% - but that's into happening and too much money is made off fast food chains and products containing sugar. Percentages change. 1 of 3 people is an end result of the percentage. It's never 1 out of every 3 people. Sometimes it's 2 out of 3, 0 out of 3, etc. The more people you have the more likely that percentage is changing. The rate in America is terrible, no excuse there, but shouldn't really be compared to Netherlands. 5'9 125lb is considered low-end healthy weight. After 169lbs, 5'9 is considered overweight. At 200lbs, you're considered obese at that weight.

Say what now?
So we can never compare anything between 2 groups unless the 2 groups are exactly the same size? Percentages don't make sense for tiny groups, but here we're talking about countries with millions of people.
  • If you want you can compare Randstad to Arizona, both 7-8 Million. One will be way fatter, guess which one?
  • You can also add up all the EU countries and compare to USA to get a number you're more comfortable with... which will still show USA having WAY MORE obese people.
  • Or strikingly Japan is @ 4.2% (130M people) and 'Murricah is 40% (330M people). More than 100 Million Americans are obese. About 5.5 Million Japanese are obese. It's a drastic difference mate.
14,146 locations in US (second most in a country is 2,975). $7.67 billion in revenue in US last year.
^
He's talking about McDonalds.
Japan is #2 in the world with ~3000 McDonalds and shrinking... and as I mentioned a very small % of obese citizens.

source: 10 Countries With the Most McDonald's Locations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad