Donald Brashear working at a Tim Horton's

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/former-...nd-pierre-sevigny-run-a-tim-hortons-1.4640456

Tony Marinaro of Montreal TSN690 radio just blasted certain media for their articles on this story for making him look somewhat "pitiful".

Thoughts?
Well, on the one hand there is a general resentment, coupled with schadenfreude, on seeing someone who got to live the dream somehow waste away what the rest of us could only dream about. There's outrage ("He had it all AND THEN WASTED IT!").

On the other hand, a man that age working at Tim Hortons just reeks of so many issues that we don't even know about. I have to think there could be mental health issues (including addictions), but I don't know for sure. Regardless, it is indeed "job shaming" (I mean, at least he's putting in an honest day's work), but ultimately, it is just plain sad.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The plight of enforcers post playing career makes me genuinely sad. I love hockey it’s in my blood but that part after game is over is tough to see.

So many broken old warriors with mental and physical health trauma from repeated head blows over their careers that makes this situation not all that uncommon.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well, on the one hand there is a general resentment, coupled with schadenfreude, on seeing someone who got to live the dream somehow waste away what the rest of us could only dream about. There's outrage ("He had it all AND THEN WASTED IT!").

On the other hand, a man that age working at Tim Hortons just reeks of so many issues that we don't even know about. I have to think there could be mental health issues (including addictions), but I don't know for sure. Regardless, it is indeed "job shaming" (I mean, at least he's putting in an honest day's work), but ultimately, it is just plain sad.
Wow, sometimes you read a post that sums up your thoughts better than you ever could. Well said.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
According to Le Journal de Quebec, the former tough guy had been hired to lend a hand to the franchisee and former Hab partly because of a local labour shortage.
"We have just started, he is here to help me," Sevigny told the French newspaper. “We’re going one day at a time, we’ll see how it goes.”
Photos show a smiling Brashear standing in plain clothes behind the drive-thru window at the Bouvier Street location.

Brashear's just being a good guy, and drawing business for Sevigny.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
What's the big deal guys? Crosby and MacKinnon do this too, times are tough.

Edit: **** beaten to the punch.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Did people not read the article? He's working there to help a friend during a labor shortage. And even if he worked there, why is that an issue? He could have a comfortable amount of money saved up already, but is bored and just wants to have an easy job.
That's a little fishy... I have a hard time believing that a so-called labour shortage is leading to a former NHLer to help out in such a way. If so, it doesn't make sense for the rest of the article to reference his financial troubles, or print comments on social media that assume that Brashear needs the job...

"
News of Brashear's stint at Tim Hortons quickly spread on social media after several media outlets published a story by French-language wire news service La Presse Canadienne, after being first reported by Le Journal, with many readers blasting the story as "job shaming".
"Loved Brashear when he was on the caps... not everyone can play the game forever and there’s no shame in finding viable work after his careers over. This is a nonstory," reads a comment.
"Donald Brashear working at a Tim’s Horton is not “sad” or “pathetic.” He’s actually working to take care of himself and nothing is wrong with that. What it is, though, is a cautionary tale of when you make millions of dollars you need to be wise with it and protect your future," reads another."

...nope, this story is written very confusingly if Brashear was merely helping out a friend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad