Management Don Sweeney

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
this will be a transition year : with hope of team finishing 8th place and squeeking into
playofffs. Then they will say they can't do any worse then last season.They will hope to
be the Florida Panthers of last season and get red hot at the right time of year.
However, after loosing Bergeron, Krejci, Orlov, Bertuzzi, Hall, Clifton, Hathaway, Nosek,
Foligno,
( all who contributed good play and were assets all last season ) thus the record breaking
regular season. They will have there hands full trying to get 95-100 points this season with
that offense which will struggle to score goals.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I was also speaking of the departed Cliffton and the awful Zboril, who plays really ,really, really small.
Clifton is nowhere in the ballpark of a small puck loving defender. And Zboril even less so.

They couldn't have afforded all of the picks and most of those guys certainly wouldn't have waited up to 7 yrs to make the money and be in the top 6.
It would have been funny to see this fanbase absolutely hate Barzal or Kyle Connor. Like with the heat of a thousand suns.

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't agree, because hating Zach f***ing Senyshyn brought me zero f***ing joy.
I understand. Completely. But this fanbase underestimates how much they’d hate arguably the worst defensive forward in hockey (Connor) or a soft floater who makes Johnny Gaudreau look gritty (Barzal). Kind of like imaging this board watching Arthur Kaliyev play lol.

Not arguing that either wouldnt have been better picks whatsoever.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Delete their three picks and insert those three. How do they sign everyone?
Weird argument when I hear, "how could we sign them all?" Rather have to trade someone because we have too many good players than not have enough good players to begin with.

We end up with any of those guys it changes all the moves. No need to get Lindholm if we had Chabot. We also likely don't sign Forbort AND Reilly to dual 3M cap hit contracts. Likely wouldn't have needed to get Hall if we had Connor. We draft Barzal, doubt we sign Zacha or Coyle to the deal they have (if we even acquire either of them).

And we build around that. I mean it's all hypothetical anyways, but it's a better "problem" to have too many good players and need to move someone than not enough and need to pay in either cap or assets for them.

We can go back to any draft and say the same, but a lot of whiffs there, some of which were called at the time.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They couldn't have afforded all of the picks and most of those guys certainly wouldn't have waited up to 7 yrs to make the money and be in the top 6.
What do you mean they couldn't have afforded all of the picks?

The 3 guys they picked, and any other 3 guys they could've picked would have made the same amount for the first 3 years.

There are a ton of moves they could make after that (or not make).

It's a really bad argument to say that blowing 3 picks in a draft is good because it saves on the cap.

Clifton is nowhere in the ballpark of a small puck loving defender. And Zboril even less so.

It would have been funny to see this fanbase absolutely hate Barzal or Kyle Connor. Like with the heat of a thousand suns.
It would be better if everyone cheered every single move and draft pick and excused every mistake.

Chris Pelosi was a great pick too, I'm sure.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
What do you think the lineup would have looked like with those players in? I don't have an arguement here, I'm just curious.
Well it's hard to say where anyone would end up but I don't think you'd argue that Zboril and Senyshyn were better right?

So you've got a top 2 lines maybe of Marchand-Bergeron-Barzal and Connor-Krejci-Pasternak.

Chabot would probably have developed better under our system but who knows. Left D. Probably means we never make the Lindholm deal.

Biggest part of that though is we'd have a bunch of guys in their prime right now rather than a roster that is a little thin at the top end aside from Pasta.

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Delete their three picks and insert those three. How do they sign everyone?
Same beautiful problem any top team has in this era. After bridge deals are ending you either trade surplus talent away (or aging veteran contracts) and you balance and stagger your contracts between younger and older. Worst case you give some older under achiever away like we did with Smith.

I can't see in ANY way how drafting too much talent is a problem. If it is, you simply trade somebody out for more picks and keep the train rolling.

It's definitely not a huge concern if you win a few cups with them is it?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Same beautiful problem any top team has in this era. After bridge deals are ending you either trade surplus talent away (or aging veteran contracts) and you balance and stagger your contracts between younger and older. Worst case you give some older under achiever away like we did with Smith.

I can't see in ANY way how drafting too much talent is a problem. If it is, you simply trade somebody out for more picks and keep the train rolling.

It's definitely not a huge concern if you win a few cups with them is it?
That’s fair. They would be assets. To say like some here that they lost Stanley Cups because of that is a stretch. My biggest peeve was Backes, and the guy from Anaheim. That doosh from Philly was a dumpster too.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Well it's hard to say where anyone would end up but I don't think you'd argue that Zboril and Senyshyn were better right?

So you've got a top 2 lines maybe of Marchand-Bergeron-Barzal and Connor-Krejci-Pasternak.

Chabot would probably have developed better under our system but who knows. Left D. Probably means we never make the Lindholm deal.

Biggest part of that though is we'd have a bunch of guys in their prime right now rather than a roster that is a little thin at the top end aside from Pasta.

Obviously not - that was a missed opportunity. In a normal draft, getting 4 NHL players players in one draft is pretty good. But 2015 was different. I won't ever regret taking a talent like DeBrusk but they had the chance to hit a couple more homeruns and they struck out.

There's also the chance that we don't get McAvoy in '16 with Barzal/Connor in the lineup. The Butterfly Effect and all. I think the Bruins will be ok moving forward; I'm not as down about the future of the team as some others but the concerns are understandable: who's going to be the #1 center moving forward? What's the depth going to look like when Marchand retires and DeBrusk/Pasta are the only two established top 6 wingers? I get it - I just feel that for every missed What If, there's the inverse: What if Pasta doesn't fall? What if Swayman was drafted in the 1st round? What if we don't steal Lindholm? It's never perfect but I think as long as they fall on the plus side more than the negative of the What If roster game, they'll be fine.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
That’s fair. They would be assets. To say like some here that they lost Stanley Cups because of that is a stretch. My biggest peeve was Backes, and the guy from Anaheim. That doosh from Philly was a dumpster too.
Exactly, assets are assets. Young assets are the best assets. When you have too many good ones you wrap a few together and swap them for one great one.

Backes was a perfect example of how bad the constant go with veterans and forget about rookies strategy can be. I fear we've picked up another doosh from Philly this year, but at least this time he's bargain basement price so can't really go wrong.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Obviously not - that was a missed opportunity. In a normal draft, getting 4 NHL players players in one draft is pretty good. But 2015 was different. I won't ever regret taking a talent like DeBrusk but they had the chance to hit a couple more homeruns and they struck out.

There's also the chance that we don't get McAvoy in '16 with Barzal/Connor in the lineup. The Butterfly Effect and all. I think the Bruins will be ok moving forward; I'm not as down about the future of the team as some others but the concerns are understandable: who's going to be the #1 center moving forward? What's the depth going to look like when Marchand retires and DeBrusk/Pasta are the only two established top 6 wingers? I get it - I just feel that for every missed What If, there's the inverse: What if Pasta doesn't fall? What if Swayman was drafted in the 1st round? What if we don't steal Lindholm? It's never perfect but I think as long as they fall on the plus side more than the negative of the What If roster game, they'll be fine.
I'm fairly optimistic but I think we might have to accept a pretty big dip down before we get back up. This season is a big question mark for me and thus it makes it interesting. I think both McAvoy and Marchand will be better a year removed from their surgeries and although he's no #1 NHL center, I do think Coyle will seize the moment and be a better player than he's been. There is some potential on this roster.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Exactly, assets are assets. Young assets are the best assets. When you have too many good ones you wrap a few together and swap them for one great one.

Backes was a perfect example of how bad the constant go with veterans and forget about rookies strategy can be. I fear we've picked up another doosh from Philly this year, but at least this time he's bargain basement price so can't really go wrong.
Backes is a bit of revisionist history. He had scored 20 goals in his previous 5 full seasons and six out of 7. They didn’t sign some chump. It didn’t work out at all and it was a horrible contract to give out but he was a very highly regarded player when we signed him.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I understand. Completely. But this fanbase underestimates how much they’d hate arguably the worst defensive forward in hockey (Connor) or a soft floater who makes Johnny Gaudreau look gritty (Barzal). Kind of like imaging this board watching Arthur Kaliyev play lol.

Not arguing that either wouldnt have been better picks whatsoever.

Bruins would have won a cup if they draft Connor and barzal and have them on cheap entry level contracts.

And say what you want about kaliyev, but whatever he’s been able to do and whatever his shortcomings, it’s infinitely better than anything beecher has done.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Bruins would have won a cup if they draft Connor and barzal and have them on cheap entry level contracts.

And say what you want about kaliyev, but whatever he’s been able to do and whatever his shortcomings, it’s infinitely better than anything beecher has done.
I don’t think Connor and Barzal win them a Cup and im not sure why anyone would think that those two are the missing pieces to the Bruins losing in game 7 in 2019 or choking in 2023. My source is watching them play.

Both would have been infinitely better picks than ZS but to put a Cup on them is fantasyland

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I don’t think Connor and Barzal win them a Cup and im not sure why anyone would think that those two are the missing pieces to the Bruins losing in game 7 in 2019 or choking in 2023. My source is watching them play.

Both would have been infinitely better picks than ZS but to put a Cup on them is fantasyland
200.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad