Management Don Sweeney

Status
Not open for further replies.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Sweeney is going to look very smart once Lauzon, JFK, Sensyshyn, Vesey and others make it

That I know

The question how many more months is he going to be labeled dumb and Incompetent

I am not on the fire Sweeney bandwagon, even though I don't agree with all the moves he makes. I hated the Rinaldo trade when it happened and still hate it, lost a 3rd whatever, not a huge deal. The deadline stuff didn't work at getting us in the playoffs but I wouldnt mind Stemp back for cheap. Losing Koko for nothing...not that happy about.

I think we have mismanaged some assets and hope Sweeney buckles down and shows us the next phase of whatever his plan is.

I thought he did very well at the draft and excited for our future.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Even Habs fans say nothing bad about Patrice Bergeron. So you are level with fans of our longest and bitterest rival, whose hatred of the Bruins is imprinted in their DNA. Way to go out on a limb, dude.

Sorry but you are wrong, i am a players fan, i am against all krejci and rask trade , i adored chara as big leader, one of the best moment of my life is when lucic killed komisarek
I am just negative about the management of this team since 2011, a real total brutal succession of horrible trades and devisions
I have more than enought to get 3 ordinary players for a good one
This league belong to young fast skilled players, time of 3rd liners is OVER !!!
This team need to arrive in 2016 and stop to think we will win with 12 defensive forwards

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sweeney is going to look very smart once Lauzon, JFK, Sensyshyn, Vesey and others make it

That I know

The question how many more months is he going to be labeled dumb and Incompetent

Yes but at that point Chara will be retired and Bergeron will be 34 and Pasta will have been shipped out for a 3rd liner and a couple of picks.

There's no #1 and no #1 D to replace them in the system. That's a problem.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

That I know

I don't think Sweeney will see the fruits of his labor. With the exception of Liles and Stempniak all of his moves look to come to fruition in 4 to 5 years. If he doesn't
make the playoffs this year it appears he is done, and there is a lot to do to make the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Makes that Seguin trade ping a little bit more...:shakehead

Oh well, we tried to give the guy a chance.

I've watched Morrow a lot in Providence and Boston and he's got skill. However anyone who has watched the Bruins since 2007 think he can play the defensive system Boston uses

Fluto wrote about it last year and not everyone can play that way

I'm just going to kick back and see how it goes

To me Morrow and Colin Miller play a different way but I can see Cross doing it

When Doug Houda made those comments about how the D played in between periods that is all you need to know and probably an indication all weren't on the same page.

Chara made up for a lot but time is not his friend

See you next Monday

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't think Sweeney will see the fruits of his labor. With the exception of Liles and Stempniak all of his moves look to come to fruition in 4 to 5 years. If he doesn't
make the playoffs this year it appears he is done, and there is a lot to do to make the playoffs.

How many GM's are fired after only two seasons? I think the Bruins will give him more time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes but at that point Chara will be retired and Bergeron will be 34 and Pasta will have been shipped out for a 3rd liner and a couple of picks.

There's no #1 and no #1 D to replace them in the system. That's a problem.

I'd say that's the problem.

I believe depth won't be an issue on this team, but the lack of elite, game changing skill seems like.

Last edited:

member 96824

I think it's fair to want patience, I personally think it's the best way to go.

I also think it's fair to admit that the front office(not limited to but including Sweeney) has not been consistent with that in their moves. I think it's fair to criticize that while still remaining optimistic about the future of the club and of Don Sweeney as an exec. I think it's also fair to worry about the direction given that the front office has seen very little change and seems to be making a lot of the same mistakes as the "former" regime. I think those are all fair and conversational points. The same way that it's fair to talk about the large pool of depth prospect depth we look to have, which should help reduce the natural attrition that even the most solid prospect pools take. If they get a couple of these kids to take the next step and get above their perceived ceilings ala Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic? There could be something special there but at worst, unless both the scouting and developing staffs are collosal failures, they should be able to fight off prospect attrition very well. There is some nice cap flexibility going into this offseason which if used correctly, could help turn get the ship turned. Those are also worth having a discussion about

Digging the heels in, plugging your ears, and name calling seems like an ineffective way to have a real conversation.

"Keep your strong opinions weakly held" - Marc Andreessen

Sincerely,

An honorary member of ACN

Last edited by a moderator:

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Local fanbase will find itself in new territory. Had been living in the past, clutching onto the '11 magic for all it was worth, and now the new horizon beginning to stretch out to 2020 and beyond. If the final month of last season carries over then this is a last place hockey team, or pointing that direction. This front office has proven, in the past, not to be quick-study types, and so I reserve the right to expect more of same. What is Sweeney's direction after the initial splash? Float and don't sink, hold things together with glue, and hope one day Heinen will resemble Gretzky Jr.

Last edited:

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I am not on the fire Sweeney bandwagon, even though I don't agree with all the moves he makes. I hated the Rinaldo trade when it happened and still hate it, lost a 3rd whatever, not a huge deal. The deadline stuff didn't work at getting us in the playoffs but I wouldnt mind Stemp back for cheap. Losing Koko for nothing...not that happy about.

I think we have mismanaged some assets and hope Sweeney buckles down and shows us the next phase of whatever his plan is.

I thought he did very well at the draft and excited for our future.

Exactly.

Being critical / questioning decisions that seem inherently bad because you see things differently or have evaluated the status and immediate future of the Bruins differently ≠ You think the GM is incompetent and want him fired.

I've been pretty vocal about my thoughts on the trade deadline, but I also see that he likely had pressure from above to make the playoffs so I place the blame there.

I, like DKH, too think he knocked last year's draft out of the park.

I think he made lemonade out of a ****** situation with Douglas Hamilton and Lucic.

I think he made a serious misjudgment in Rinaldo and wasted (what should be) a very valuable asset (especially in the cap era / team building through the draft).

I think Don made a mistake in trading for Hayes - but I think a lot of people thought that Hayes would have brought more to than table than he did (myself included). I also too was not a Reilly Smith fan (and remain unimpressed / underwhelmed by his style). My criticism here would be the player the Bruins got in return and the contract he was signed to.

Overall I think Don will have a very positive impact on the franchise and will ultimately be successful. Whether or not that will be while he is still in control to see his master plan fulfilled is another topic (like O'Connell). He's still new to being fully in control and will continue to make mistakes - what matters is how he covers up his mistakes and mitigates the damages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad