Management Don Sweeney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have talked to several people close to the situation and the consensus is Sweeney has won a power struggle in the front office and now will report to Charlie/Papa and not Cam.

The 'chatter' is that Cam does not grasp the modern game of hockey and his views are not respected by hockey ops.

A couple of people concede it is possible that the Bruins will let Claude walk away on his own but they think it is unlikely. The fact that Cam is not scheduled to be included in tomorrow's event speaks volumes.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I have talked to several people close to the situation and the consensus is Sweeney has won a power struggle in the front office and now will report to Charlie/Papa and not Cam.

The 'chatter' is that Cam does not grasp the modern game of hockey and his views are not respected by hockey ops.

A couple of people concede it is possible that the Bruins will let Claude walk away on his own but they think it is unlikely. The fact that Cam is not scheduled to be included in tomorrow's event speaks volumes.

This is more interesting than the Bruins season.

Man, the office must be a ticking time bomb

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Well, there might not be a Neely Family Xmas card to the Sweeney household this coming year.

Power-struggle, eh? This is interesting. It's kind of rattling some long-standing beliefs about this management team to the core. Doesn't take away that Sweeney wasn't able to bring in the horses to get us past the stretch, but...what got in the way of it, if anything?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Interesting turn.

it will be fascinating to how this plays out. I don't think that we'll ever be able to tell, based on moves that are made, but if Cam becomes less visible or moves on, that will be a good indication that this is accurate.

I will say that, while I don't doubt your sources, this seems kind of simplistic. What I mean is that I doubt Cam doesn't grasp the modern game and that's why they're changing things.

It's probably more a combination of him not liking the modern game and wanting the team to play a different style.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. Not surprising. Cam has never seemed the brightest bulb during his radio interviews

If true it is very good news.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Doesn't take away that Sweeney wasn't able to bring in the horses to get us past the stretch, but...what got in the way of it, if anything?

I don't know. I wonder if some of the issues Sweeney faced are similar to what Chia faced. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

Frankly, I'm heartened by the news, if it's at all true. Move Neely out of hockey ops, allow Sweeney to have more authority to make moves that provide CJ with the horses he needs to be successful. Certainly not a guarantee for success, but it feels like a better scenario for a shot at a winning season.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I bet this is all due to Julien. My guess Cam wants him gone and Sweeney wants to keep him and that has been the war since the end of the season. Looks like Sweeney won out. Now the question is will this be a good thing or handing all the power to a 1st year GM be the final undoing of the Bruins.

Sounds like a monumental change is coming and I just don't know what to think of it

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting turn.

it will be fascinating to how this plays out. I don't think that we'll ever be able to tell, based on moves that are made, but if Cam becomes less visible or moves on, that will be a good indication that this is accurate.

I will say that, while I don't doubt your sources, this seems kind of simplistic. What I mean is that I doubt Cam doesn't grasp the modern game and that's why they're changing things.

It's probably more a combination of him not liking the modern game and wanting the team to play a different style.

Did Cam block any possible move that Sweeney tried to make? This is something we do not know.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Crossing fingers that this is true. It's certainly encouraging. I have been under the impression that Julien and Sweeney are more on the same page than Sweeney and Neely, but I've wondered if that's been wishful thinking.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I agree on cam as one of top 5 players but if he the heart of the problem then they have to bring in a new president. But I hope Cam stays with the Bruins.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I hope this is true. Really not impressed with Cam's contradictory statements on the direction of the team, and certainly not impressed with the way the personnel issues were handled the past two seasons. If indeed Cam has been impeding the GM during this period then perhaps some breathing room for Sweeney will be a very good thing. Since I don't see the coach as the main issue, and it's way too early to judge the GM one way or the other, removing Cam from the equation seems to be the best thing that could happen. Something had to change, and this, if it occurs, will be a good move.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great news, There is light at the end of tunnel.

Maybe.

Cam & Charles In Charge are apparently scheduled to hold their own press conference next week.

I would certainly be on board with defined roles and, at this point, moving Neely out of "hockey op's."

Part of my unease has been a nebulous chain of command over the years, and especially since Peter Chiarelli was dismissed. A bit of clarity & sunlight would be welcome.

Let's hope we get it! :)

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Maybe.

Cam & Charles In Charge are apparently scheduled to hold their own press conference next week.

I would certainly be on board with defined roles and, at this point, moving Neely out of "hockey op's."

Part of my unease has been a nebulous chain of command over the years, and especially since Peter Chiarelli was dismissed. A bit of clarity & sunlight would be welcome.

Let's hope we get it! :)

Agreed. I mean, it's hard to know what the real story is, but here are some initial thoughts:

1) I've always had the impression that Neely was not quite the hockey mind this management team needs. He knows the game, obviously, from a certain outlook, but maybe not the kind of guy for the Prez position.

2) The whole management team sounds like they had trouble being on the same page going back to the Chia days and maybe epitomized in the Seguin trade. It seemed as if it was Neely/Sweeney vs. Chia, but maybe not so simple.

3) Maybe, if this is what's to happen - Neely moving out of hockey ops - it's a good thing to give the GM more power in decision-making.

4) Maybe that's not a good thing - maybe having other voices at the table is valuable for the process. Of course, the GM can always get opinions from anyone in the team - from pres to coach to players to scouts - but needs to be unhindered in making the final decision.

If this is what happens, I wonder of they name Sweeney as Pres & GM? Like Sather?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I'm still a Cam supporter. And I will be until I hear something that compromises my support.

I don't understand what's happening here, but tomorrow's press conferences should quite interesting.

More :popcorn: Mr. Make-Believe?

I wonder if Don had a deal for Loui and Cam said he wanted more? There are so many intangibles we don't know.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Agreed. I mean, it's hard to know what the real story is, but here are some initial thoughts:

1) I've always had the impression that Neely was not quite the hockey mind this management team needs. He knows the game, obviously, from a certain outlook, but maybe not the kind of guy for the Prez position.

2) The whole management team sounds like they had trouble being on the same page going back to the Chia days and maybe epitomized in the Seguin trade. It seemed as if it was Neely/Sweeney vs. Chia, but maybe not so simple.

3) Maybe, if this is what's to happen - Neely moving out of hockey ops - it's a good thing to give the GM more power in decision-making.

4) Maybe that's not a good thing - maybe having other voices at the table is valuable for the process. Of course, the GM can always get opinions from anyone in the team - from pres to coach to players to scouts - but needs to be unhindered in making the final decision.

If this is what happens, I wonder of they name Sweeney as Pres & GM? Like Sather?

I agree with much of this. I would only add, it's great to have excellent hockey people consulting together, with one fellow on top making the ultimate decision. It's another if there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Perhaps what we've had here since Cam was named VP, and then President, is something of the latter.

I ask anyone if they -- especially those in the know -- can define Cam Neely's responsibilities and acumen in hockey decisions over the years, particularly the last two.

So, I love you Bam Bam, but it's time to step aside. Let Sweeney be the ultimate arbiter, and see what's what. If "Sweenes" isn't up to it, we'll all know soon enough. We're a year into this thing.

PS Banish Sinden. Please God.

PPS BANISH SINDEN.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It was reported that Cam flew to Buffalo today to meet with Papa Jacobs so you have to wonder if Charlie has given back the keys to the team to Papa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->