Management Don Sweeney media call - 3/10/21

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Because he wasn’t ranked exclusively at 9....it varied from 8 to 20.

There was some uncertainty surrounding him because of his injury.

The post was deleted calling me stupid...in case you were wondering.

what about Kyle Connor and Travis Konecny? DeBrusk was a reach, he just was..this all happened real time in 2015, it’s not hindsight.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
what about Kyle Connor and Travis Konecny? DeBrusk was a reach, he just was..this all happened real time in 2015, it’s not hindsight.
Kind of sorta he was a reach. Slight reach to put it in perspective. In 2014 JDB ripped up the WHL as a winger...we needed a winger to replace the injured Horton and out the door Lucic.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Because he wasn’t ranked exclusively at 9....it varied from 8 to 20.

There was some uncertainty surrounding him because of his injury.

The post was deleted calling me stupid...in case you were wondering.

I must of missed that, I don't recall anyone calling anyone stupid and I had a post deleted in this thread.

Reactions: Barnum

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Kind of sorta he was a reach. Slight reach to put it in perspective. In 2014 JDB ripped up the WHL as a winger...we needed a winger to replace the injured Horton and out the door Lucic.

They needed forwards period, particularly centers and that's a GMs job to evaluate properly the talent he has and what talent is available for him to select on draft day and no-matter how you slice it, Sweeney failed in his evaluation.

There were many forwards available who Sweeney passed on who have become stars in this league. Its not hindsight it was black and white back then as soon as he ended his first round selections by saying Zach Senyshyn and 6 years later when Mathew Barzel is going end to end with a high-lite reel goal or Kyle Connor or Brock Boeser are unleashing a one-timer into the back of the net, its become pretty apparent Sweeney failed.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Agreed....but that is all hindsight which was my first post and also, IT was 6 years ago!
I get your argument. At the time, the Bruins needs were different than now and people can’t split the two. They only see what’s in front of them. Still, they should have drafted at least two of them and do a reach with one. A project so to speak.

Another thing that I see is that if they did draft those no brainers, they probably would try to change them to 200’ players and they wouldnt see the NHL for a while. It’s not who only, it’s also how your bring them along.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
DKH has said that Sweeney is safe, unfortunately. Reading between the lines, if anyone goes it will be Bruce.
I haven`t liked Butch this season, I understand he`s dealing with kids and with that comes mistakes and growing pains. What I think Butch struggles with his in game adjustments. His cure if you will is little more than shortening the bench which is great but I want to see more. He has been more than just a touch vocal in the media about the vets and kids alike. I dunno, I`m all up for holding players accountable and while I don`t like the fact that doing so in the media these days is considered taboo, it is and he hasn`t held back

Jobs will be assessed if this year ends prematurely or what the B`s feel is prematurely and it might be warranted. I dunno, we`ve had worse GM`s and coaches, President`s too, usually ice a competitive team but for this fan, the heat will come down on one of Butch/Sweeney or Cam and likely warranted to a certain degree

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
After making trades to improve the team, if they still get waxed in the first round that's got to be it for him, right?
If the Bruins get waxed in the first round, it won't be Sweeney's fault. He's put the team in a position to win.

Now it's on Cassidy and the players.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If the Bruins get waxed in the first round, it won't be Sweeney's fault. He's put the team in a position to win.

They have to get healthy first. In particular the Top 3 D-men and Rask.

That to be is the biggest risk at this deadline. To go out and bring in temporary help (like Hall and Reilly) but to never get out of the quicksand that is the injury bug.

On paper when healthy this team appears to be a legit contender. But health is the big X-factor in this season so far. Can we really expect at any point the Bruins will be able to ice a full compliment of players? I doubt it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

The injuries on the back end are just crippling too though. Like what Sweeney did in the big picture, certainly got value, but the all kid defense is playoff suspect even without the injuries.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
They have to get healthy first. In particular the Top 3 D-men and Rask.

That to be is the biggest risk at this deadline. To go out and bring in temporary help (like Hall and Reilly) but to never get out of the quicksand that is the injury bug.

On paper when healthy this team appears to be a legit contender. But health is the big X-factor in this season so far. Can we really expect at any point the Bruins will be able to ice a full compliment of players? I doubt it.
Team health isn't Sweeney's fault either. Still won't be on him. If anything, I've been impressed with how well the defence played right up until the tipping point of McAvoy's injury. The position wasn't ignored - it's deep. But it's the top four that's taken the hit and no team can dominate when that's the case.

Rask I'm worried about too. But there again... Halak, Vladar, Swayman. There are options and good ones. Can't blame Sweeney for that.

I'm rambling, but point being... When (if) the Bruins get relatively healthy, they're set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad