-Miller
Moore-Clifton
Vaak-Kampfer
Tinordi

Rask
Halak
Vladar

BOLD is what was here 2015
Italicized is what Sweeney brought here since.

Yah he should be fired. Not good.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Smith
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase

Bjork-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic-Studnicka-Senyshyn
Kuhlman-McKegg-
Blidh

Gryz-
McAvoy
Zboril-Carlo
Lauzon
-Miller
Moore-Clifton
Vaak-Kampfer
Tinordi

Rask
Halak
Vladar

BOLD is what was here 2015
Italicized is what Sweeney brought here since.

That is really really really bad work.And hey, I wish Bruins were a strong team and I was bragging up his work.Sadly not the case.The fact Senyshyn is getting a chance 6 yrs later basically is testament of that bad job

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
That is really really really bad work.And hey, I wish Bruins were a strong team and I was bragging up his work.Sadly not the case.The fact Senyshyn is getting a chance 6 yrs later basically is testament of that bad job

Alright I'll say it out loud...

I have no problem with a roster that includes Coyle, Kuraly, Smith, 2021 Ritchie (not the fat slob we got last year), Frederic, Studnicka, Carlo, McAvoy, Lauzon/Zboril. Yeah the rest stink, and the lack of any real quality player aside from McAvoy is concerning, but there are some pieces there. It's bad but I don't think it's that bad.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I looked over the Lucic trade again. I remember we all thought they got a steal in assets from him, but they in reality got 2 4th liners, a #6 defenseman and defenseman that played 100 games they couldn't even bother to protect in the expansion draft.

In fairness, that defenseman helped a first-year expansion team make the Stanley Cup Final.

....Wait......that......that doesn't make me feel better.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If sweeney fired all his scouts and just picked the tsn consensus best available the last 5 years the team would be in better shape today than they currently are. Jacobs would have less payroll so he’d be happy. Its a win win
Better yet, if he just averaged out the reputable draft rankings he would’ve walked away with Barzal/Connor/Konecny/Carlo/Kylington/Dunn in his first draft.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Vatrano has taken 60 faceoffs in his entire career, has never played center, not for the Bruins, not for the Panthers.

My advice, don't pay attention to what position they are listed at in Hockey DB or whatever. Some sites had Marchand listed as a center for years, meanwhile we all know he's never sniffed the center ice position at the NHL level. I don't think he even played in much in the lower levels.
That’s fair criticism. I personally barely remember Frankie but as I said I looked him up to try to remember. It said...and still currently says he is a C. So, to say I lose credibility over that shit....well you think about it.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
He is a disgrace. He has a chance tomorrow to be a man and be able to look Bergeron and Marchand and McAvoy in the eye......

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I think your missing the big picture here. The Bruins need offense, players who can put the puck in the net. Only Buffalo has fewer 5 on 5 goals in the entire league

He had a Barzal and Connor fall into his lap and choose not to select either. The bruins have or had no future number 1 center in sight but not only didn't he come away with Barzal or Connor he passed on Boeser, Konecny, Roslevic,Beauvillier, Greenway and yes Sebastian Aho all of them at least on three different occasions, but he came away with JFK and Zach Senyshyn.

He has an eye for defenseman ill give him that, but you need players who can put the puck in the net and Sweeney has had a Miserable time finding him, whether its been through the draft, trade or free-agency.

I think he would be a good scout as long as its defenseman he's scouting, but as a GM he's failing.
This is not exactly true. Skipping past what eventually happened to Spooner and how that worked out. In 2015 we didn’t need a C. Spooner came off a respectable 1/2 season as 3c in 2014 and then had a very decent 2015/6 as a third line center. He turned out to be a bust by 2017 but that is hindsight. They didn’t exactly need Barzal to address their immediate needs in 2015. Alot of you forget that and still cry 6 years later.

Ask yourselves....was Barzal going to get the green light on those Boston Bruins teams to be #1 center during his first few years? No...and not even in 2021, Barzal would have been stuck behind Bergy and Krejci.

Please stop with the whining and crying over something that happened 6 years ago.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This is not exactly true. Skipping past what eventually happened to Spooner and how that worked out. In 2015 we didn’t need a C. Spooner came off a respectable 1/2 season as 3c in 2014 and then had a very decent 2015/6 as a third line center. He turned out to be a bust by 2017 but that is hindsight. They didn’t exactly need Barzal to address their immediate needs in 2015. Alot of you forget that and still cry 6 years later.

Ask yourselves....was Barzal going to get the green light on those Boston Bruins teams to be #1 center during his first few years? No...and not even in 2021, Barzal would have been stuck behind Bergy and Krejci.

Please stop with the whining and crying over something that happened 6 years ago.

Im not going to bother going into this if you think that Ryan Spooner was the answer down the road for the Bruins future at Center, and that being for the reason the Bruins past on Barzal and Conner and that 6 years ago was along time ago when you talk about the growth and the development of your hockey team when your drafting 18 yearolds.

The draft is your future and those consensus top picks in 2015 are stars today in their primes.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Im not going to bother going into this if you think that Ryan Spooner was the answer down the road for the Bruins future at Center, and that being for the reason the Bruins past on Barzal and Conner and that 6 years ago was along time ago when you talk about the growth and the development of your hockey team when your drafting 18 yearolds.

The draft is your future and those consensus top picks in 2015 are stars today in their primes.
You are not comprehending exactly what I am expressing. Yes, Barzal was the best pick for The Bruins in hindsight but not at that moment.

Take yourself back 6 years ago.... Not your brilliant hindsight in 2021.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You are not comprehending exactly what I am expressing. Yes, Barzal was the best pick for The Bruins in hindsight but not at that moment.

No I comprehended everything you said, just majorly disagree with it all. :)

You cant be serious ? lol, take your self back six years ???
The whole hockey world was shocked that Sweeney passed on Barzal and Conner .

Even though they had the budding superstar in Ryan Spooner on the horizon.:sarcasm:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
No comprehended everything you said, just majorly disagree with it all. :)
I know. The bane of my life.

And if all of us had perfect hindsight we would have drafted Barzal. It just never works out like you want it to, when you know the facts AFTER the fact.

Take yourself back to 2015. Was there a need at center? No, there wasn’t a need at C and the Bruins drafted as such. We had three quality C’s at that time. It doesn’t matter how it worked out eventually with Spooner. At the time, he was doing okay and looked potentially good.

I have no idea why people can not look at the overall instead of the moment. We should have drafted Barzal but that is 100% hindsight not the overall picture. Nevermind kiddies....it was 6 years ago.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I’m going to wait until the trade deadline to crush Sweeney for doing nothing or making a minor upgrade instead of selling pieces. Can’t blame him for something he hasn’t done yet.

Reactions: The National

member 96824

I know. The bane of my life.

And if all of us had perfect hindsight we would have drafted Barzal. It just never works out like you want it to, when you know the facts AFTER the fact.

Take yourself back to 2015. Was there a need at center? No, there wasn’t a need at C and the Bruins drafted as such. We had three quality C’s at that time. It doesn’t matter how it worked out eventually with Spooner. At the time, he was doing okay and looked potentially good.

I have no idea why people can not look at the overall instead of the moment. We should have drafted Barzal but that is 100% hindsight not the overall picture. Nevermind kiddies....it was 6 years ago.

Go read the draft thread from back then and tell us if it was hindsight.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

sorry, but he absolutely was the best pick at the time, yesterday, tomorrow and in three weeks. The hockey world was laughing at the Bruins as they screwed it up. Has nothing to do with second guessing.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
sorry, but he absolutely was the best pick at the time, yesterday, tomorrow and in three weeks. The hockey world was laughing at the Bruins as they screwed it up. Has nothing to do with second guessing.
Go read the draft thread from back then and tell us if it was hindsight.

I understand and I know. I am getting tired of being called stupid and dumb in this thread.

I understand Barzal has turned out to be amazing but he wasn’t at THAT time and had question marks because of his injuries in the minors. He was ranked anywhere from 8 to 20.

Zrbol - drafted correctly but of course now Cabot looks better.

JDB- a tad of a stretch but not much. Expected to go 15 to 20 on most team’s drafts. For the Bruins: he was a winger that the Bruins desperately needed and also lead the WHL in scoring in 2014. Don’t forget that.

Senyshyn - that’s a stretch pick and in 2021 we now know was terrible. It was bad pick in 2015 too.

But the overall haul in 2015 was pretty good.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I understand and I know. I am getting tired of being called stupid and dumb in this thread.

I understand Barzal has turned out to be amazing but he wasn’t at THAT time and had question marks because of his injuries in the minors. He was ranked anywhere from 8 to 20.

JDB- a tad of a stretch but not much. Expected to go 15 to 20 on most team’s drafts. For the Bruins: he was a winger that the Bruins desperately needed and also lead the WHL in scoring in 2014. Don’t forget that.

Senyshyn - that’s a stretch pick and in 2021 we now know was terrible. It was bad pick in 2015 too.

I’m not calling you stupid or dumb, many of us as Bruins fans have different opinions. Barzal was ranked 9th, it should have been a no brainer for them, no need to reach for guys ranked much lower. They did well in later rounds of that draft, but they screwed up the easy part and it’s killing them now.

member 96824

That's all fine but you're calling other people stupid and dumb by claiming their view is nothing more than revisionist history. "100% hindsight"

Seriously go back and read that thread, it's an incredibly entertaining read.

Reactions: Estlin

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
That's all fine but you're calling other people stupid and dumb by claiming their view is nothing more than revisionist history. "100% hindsight"
I’m not calling you stupid or dumb, many of us as Bruins fans have different opinions. Barzal was ranked 9th, it should have been a no brainer for them, no need to reach for guys ranked much lower. They did well in later rounds of that draft, but they screwed up the easy part and it’s killing them now.

Because he wasn’t ranked exclusively at 9....it varied from 8 to 20.

There was some uncertainty surrounding him because of his injury.

The post was deleted calling me stupid...in case you were wondering.

member 96824

Because he wasn’t ranked exclusively at 9....it varied from 8 to 20.

There was some uncertainty surrounding him because of his injury.

The post were deleted calling me stupid...in case you were wondering.

I'll leave it here cause there's a thread and frankly, no new points to be made in the conversation anyway...but I would be curious to see a link of where Mat Barzal was ranked 20. There are 12 rankings on mynhldraft.net, Button had him 15...which Button is notorious for off the wall, borderline click bait. McKeens had him 11, the rest all between 6 and 9.

But yeah, you've made two arguments: 1. They couldn't draft Barzal cause they had Spooner and 2. It's only hindsight to want Barzal. They're both very wrong. Doesn't mean you're stupid or dumb of course, many smart people end up wrong...those two arguments are wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad