Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'm happy for Don. At least one Bruin won last night.

That said, I hope his path opens up another chance at the Cup, preferably sooner rather than later. I don't know how, but i'm just saying...

Reactions: TCB

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't agree with Linseman but holy **** what happened to be able to give an opinion and have some constructive banter back and forth instead of being attacked for said opinion?
Because Sweeney gets bashed every single day by Bruins fans. He ends up winning an award voted on by his peers and we can't even come here to discuss it without Sweeney being criticized yet again.

Can we put a moratorium on the anti-Sweeney stuff for at least 24 hours?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Because Sweeney gets bashed every single day by Bruins fans. He ends up winning an award voted on by his peers and we can't even come here to discuss it without Sweeney being criticized yet again.

It's what one or two people saying they would have picked someone else for GM of the year?

So pick his post apart with solid arguments against instead of the typical lazy HF responses these days.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't agree with Linseman but holy **** what happened to be able to give an opinion and have some constructive banter back and forth instead of being attacked for said opinion?

Doesn't that depend on how the argument is presented? I thought the post was dismissive of all the good Don Sweeney has done and lacked a concrete basis as to why Sweeney didn't deserve the award other than "I don't like him" and "he failed to win a Cup"

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Hopefully this award doesn't go to Donny's head. He has made his share of mistakes. Poor decisions that included moves to acquire Rinaldo, Hayes, Backes and the 2015 draft decisions. He has been fortunate to have players who stepped up and given the organization depth. His next biggest move will be moving Backes, finding a top 6 RW, and perhaps top center quality to replace Krejci and Bergeron in the future. The window is closing on this crew and hopefully, Sweeney can find the right pieces to give this organization another chance to raise the Cup.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

My guess is we lose to Toronto if he doesn't build us a third line at the deadline. After the bad luck with Nash (thats a trade he should be bragging about we gave NYR less than nothing) he deserved a break and deserved this.

I actually feel pretty good about us maintaining our spot as a top 5 team for the next 5 years under him. Have sort of chilled out a bit on my gripes from a week ago with the team in general and moves that need/don't need to be made (IE I was adamant we resign Mojo but I'd live with Cehlarik/Bjork replacing him more I think about it.) The black mark of the 2015 draft isn't going away and will likely only get worse but theres really nothing to criticize otherwise.

Anyways congrats Donny well deserved hes been a good GM.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hopefully this award doesn't go to Donny's head. He has made his share of mistakes. Poor decisions that included moves to acquire Rinaldo, Hayes, Backes and the 2015 draft decisions. He has been fortunate to have players who stepped up and given the organization depth. His next biggest move will be moving Backes, finding a top 6 RW, and perhaps top center quality to replace Krejci and Bergeron in the future. The window is closing on this crew and hopefully, Sweeney can find the right pieces to give this organization another chance to raise the Cup.

So does every GM..... Why would the award go to his head? He seems like a pretty level-headed guy to begin with. I love how you're highlighting past moves/decisions/etc. The award is for THIS SEASON. Fail to understand that?

Kind of a garbage post, but no shock coming from you because you are always at the forefront of negative posts against Sweeney. It's utterly hilarious that you fail to credit any of his good moves and say that Sweeney has been fortunate to have players who stepped up and gave the organization depth.... Like Coyle? Johansson? Kuhlman? Nordstrom? Kuraly? Clifton? Acciari? Halak? DeBrusk? Players Sweeney went out and signed/traded for/drafted.

Garbage, just utter garbage. I know it's difficult, but you can give credit where it's due. Or continue this nonsense. I expect the latter.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Man, this would have been so much sweeter if the season ended how we all wanted it to. Still a great honor - many on here have doubted Don, including myself. Well deserved.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Man, this would have been so much sweeter if the season ended how we all wanted it to. Still a great honor - many on here have doubted Don, including myself. Well deserved.

Isn’t it funny how you can get that close but the difference between you and the winner is a canyon wide?

A cup win would have made 2019 probably the best year since I don’t even remember and would have kicked off the summer beautifully but I’m proud of the team for going where they did and feel they’ll be back.

The one question mark is center depth long term, not as worried about the wings as others

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`d wager on a scale of top 10 things he is focused on/cares about, this ranks outside of the top 10

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I would say that the primary reason the B’s didn’t win the Cup is because the first line underperformed in the playoffs (particularly in the Finals) during this “special run”.

I won’t argue that Sweeney has had missteps like every GM. Which one of his “bad acquisitions in prior years” was responsible for the three guys (two of which he locked up on great deals) on the first line not producing?

I’ll wait...
So many delicious, hair-on-fire posts to which to respond, but...you asked first, Glory.

My argument is simply that his Belesky and Backes acquisitions tied up $$8M plus that prevented us from grabbing a Tavares or Panarin or Schenn or some other LEGIT top six player and that had we done so we would probably all still be drunk from the parade.

If he had, yes then he’d get my vote for GM of the year, whatever that means btw.

Yes, he made some good acquisitions but, many of us were saying this early on in the season, without a solid top 2 lines, we don’t win the Cup. He built a club with solid #1, 3 and 4 lines, but he did not provide for the 2nd line. It killed us. Yes, our 1st line underperformed, but they would not have had we had a legit 2nd line. Cost us a Cup.

I would bet that Don gets only cold comfort from this award. I would bet that it’s more than a reminder of “what could have been” rather than a lasting accomplishment.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Doesn't that depend on how the argument is presented? I thought the post was dismissive of all the good Don Sweeney has done and lacked a concrete basis as to why Sweeney didn't deserve the award other than "I don't like him" and "he failed to win a Cup"
You’ve got your concrete basis now. Ball’s in your court.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I`d wager on a scale of top 10 things he is focused on/cares about, this ranks outside of the top 10

I concur.

I think the last thing you need to worry about with Sweeney is his head swelling. From his playing days playing along side HOF Ray Bourque to his present job of the Bruins GM he has always put his team first and foremost and as he clearly stated, that this is more of an organizational award than a GM award.

I truly expect the best is yet to come from Sweeney.

Reactions: Spooner st

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So many delicious, hair-on-fire posts to which to respond, but...you asked first, Glory.

My argument is simply that his Belesky and Backes acquisitions tied up $$8M plus that prevented us from grabbing a Tavares or Panarin or Schenn or some other LEGIT top six player and that had we done so we would probably all still be drunk from the parade.

If he had, yes then he’d get my vote for GM of the year, whatever that means btw.

Yes, he made some good acquisitions but, many of us were saying this early on in the season, without a solid top 2 lines, we don’t win the Cup. He built a club with solid #1, 3 and 4 lines, but he did not provide for the 2nd line. It killed us. Yes, our 1st line underperformed, but they would not have had we had a legit 2nd line. Cost us a Cup.

I would bet that Don gets only cold comfort from this award. I would bet that it’s more than a reminder of “what could have been” rather than a lasting accomplishment.

I’m sure the award doesn’t comfort him in the slightest and he would much prefer a Cup. That said, he did enough personnel and development-wise to get the team to a somewhat unexpected Final. It was there for the taking, there was more than enough talent, and the best players didn’t play like the best players for the Bruins.

That’s not on Sweeney.

Reactions: Spooner st and TCB

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Well in bold is just flat out wrong. They could of signed Tavares and he was considering Boston quite a bit.

"While Toronto was heavily favored to sign the free agent heading into last offseason, the Bruins made quite the push to land the 28-year-old. That effort was not lost on Tavares, who despite opting to sign with his hometown team, told NHL.com’s Mike Zeisberger that he considered a move to the Black and Gold “quite a bit.”

Read more at: Maple Leafs’ John Tavares Considered Bruins ‘Quite A Bit’ In Free Agency"

I guess this makes me part of the pile on goon sqaud. Proud member since 5 minutes ago.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
the latter, obviously

Multi-quote is useful.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion as is everyone on this board. But I didn't see anything in your initial post that made a case for Sweeney not being deserving of the award:

He doesn’t get my vote because, in my view, while his deadline attempts were meritorious, they ultimately failed to make up for his bad acquisitions in prior years that deprived us of winning a Cup in a special year where we were especially poised to win it.

They came within a game of winning it all and you can pretty much point to lack of production from the top 6 as the main reason why. I don't see where his bad acquisitions came into play there with the exception of not getting a RW for Krejci's line. That one I'll give you, but they still got to the Final and went to 7 games in spite of it.

The award is for this season not what he's done in the past. If you believe the knock on effect of his past acquisitions was what caused them to fail to win a Cup, then I counter with nobody expected them to be there. Nobody. And if you counter with Tampa and Washington getting knocked out cleared the path, then I counter with they still had to beat the teams that beat them. Nothing's given in this league.

You don't like him. Good for you.

He's the choice of his peers as GM of the year for this season which to me means more than what you, me, or anyone else here thinks of him

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Isn’t “not my GM of the year” analogous to saying “he wouldn’t get my vote as GM of the Year” or “I don’t think he should be GM of the year”?

Isn’t the root of your being offended just a semantic one?

Or, can I just count you among the “pile on” goon squad offended by opposing views ?
Saying someone is "not their xyz" is akin to saying they shouldn't have won.

It's insulting

If you're going to say something like that you need to elaborate as to why.

I'm all for opposing views when they are rooted in facts and presented well. I still may feel differently after hearing what someone says but I'll respect the hell out of them.

You posted crap, just own it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Multi-quote is useful.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion as is everyone on this board. But I didn't see anything in your initial post that made a case for Sweeney not being deserving of the award:

He doesn’t get my vote because, in my view, while his deadline attempts were meritorious, they ultimately failed to make up for his bad acquisitions in prior years that deprived us of winning a Cup in a special year where we were especially poised to win it.

They came within a game of winning it all and you can pretty much point to lack of production from the top 6 as the main reason why. I don't see where his bad acquisitions came into play there with the exception of not getting a RW for Krejci's line. That one I'll give you, but they still got to the Final and went to 7 games in spite of it.

The award is for this season not what he's done in the past. If you believe the knock on effect of his past acquisitions was what caused them to fail to win a Cup, then I counter with nobody expected them to be there. Nobody. And if you counter with Tampa and Washington getting knocked out cleared the path, then I counter with they still had to beat the teams that beat them. Nothing's given in this league.

You don't like him. Good for you.

He's the choice of his peers as GM of the year for this season which to me means more than what you, me, or anyone else's here thinks of him
A fresh new member to the "Pile on Goon Squad" :naughty:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I hated Sweeney as a player and really didn’t want to like him as a GM, but considering the fact that every GM makes mistakes and things don’t always work out like they’d hope, he’s done a really good job here and deserved this award.

Nobody hits on every trade or pick, but overall for his body of work here I’d give him a solid B+ and definitely an A for this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad