Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Im still pissed about not taking Bellows over Kluzak.
But for ffs Im not wailing on it for years. It starts to sound like a baby crying on a cross Atlantic flight.
:laugh:

To be fair though, I would have loved to see a healthy Kluzak, Thelven, and Bourque.

Might even have have made me like old mousey mustache Glen Wesley a bit more.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
:laugh:

To be fair though, I would have loved to see a healthy Kluzak, Thelven, and Bourque.

Might even have have made me like old mousey mustache Glen Wesley a bit more.

Kluzak would have been one of the top defenseman of his era if he could of stayed healthy, he was that good. Thelvin was just beginning to hit his stride when knee injuries hit him, its too bad because he was a very good defenseman as well.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Nordstrom
Johansson
Kuraly
Coyle

All the goals were from Sweeney acquisitions. He's had his ups & downs as a GM, but this is very much his team now & his guys are making an impact.

1. The Halak signing easily stole us the extra 7 points in the standings to get us home ice. Backup goalie is the most under appreciated position on an NHL roster. Sweeney saw that and addressed it.

2. The Lucic trade was absolute larceny (DeBrusk, Frederic, Colin Miller & Sean Kuraly). Might end up being one of our best trades in the last 20 years, behind the Kessel deal.

3. The Charlie Coyle/Mojo trades immediately gave us a legitimate 3rd line. God help us if we didn't address that at the deadline. We probably get bounced in 5 with JFK, Frederic, Backes or Kuraly as our 3rd line center.

I'd argue that if none of those 3 things happen above, our season is probably over right now. Sweeney should get the credit for that. He's also made some mistakes, but at the end of the day, we have a legitimate shot at a Cup Final this year and a lot of it has to do with the moves he's made over the past 12 months.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
1. The Halak signing easily stole us the extra 7 points in the standings to get us home ice. Backup goalie is the most under appreciated position on an NHL roster. Sweeney saw that and addressed it.

2. The Lucic trade was absolute larceny (DeBrusk, Frederic, Colin Miller & Sean Kuraly). Might end up being one of our best trades in the last 20 years, behind the Kessel deal.

3. The Charlie Coyle/Mojo trades immediately gave us a legitimate 3rd line. God help us if we didn't address that at the deadline. We probably get bounced in 5 with JFK, Frederic, Backes or Kuraly as our 3rd line center.

I'd argue that if none of those 3 things happen above, our season is probably over right now. Sweeney should get the credit for that. He's also made some mistakes, but at the end of the day, we have a legitimate shot at a Cup Final this year and a lot of it has to do with the moves he's made over the past 12 months.
The Lucic trade was Zboril, not Debrusk. The Zboril pick was from LA, the Debrusk pick was Boston's own 1st rounder, & the Senyshyn pick was from Calgary.

Still a great deal all things considered, though.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Don Sweeney deserves a Little attention for the General Manager of the Year Award, I believe this upcoming week the NHL will announce its finalist. Sweeney deadline acquisitions of Coyle and Johansson have proved to be just the fix the Bruins needed to make a run at the Cup and one needs to look no further than the first game of the Conference finals.

Bruins win 5-2

Coyle has a goal-Deadline transaction
Johansson has a goal- Deadline transaction
kampfer has a goal-Off Season transaction
wagner has a goal- off season FA signing

On top of that Tuukka Rask has been playing like a Conn Smythe candidate and a lot of the credit can be pointed towards Jarslov Halak who split games with Tuukka helping him keep fresh and pushing him to become his best by fighting for the #1 spot all season and Halak was an off-season FA signing.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I totally wiffed on Nordstrom

The Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner Line has been very good. The effort is always an A plus

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He has done a good job grabbing the right guys. Not an A plus home run trade yet but all the little and middle ones add up nicely without ruining the chemistry. Johansson is finding his groove after some bad luck and Coyle too after having some anchors on his wings. Nordy is Paille, Halak is the best back up we have had in awhile. Even bringing back Kampfer and getting Moore. Top 4 regular season and playoffs, not bad.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
looks like a genius at the moment. It is not THAT often that mid season trades pay dividends

last season if the Bruins had Mojo, Coyle, Carlo....no way Tampa won that series as easily as they did

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
DS has been open to valid criticism in past years for not doing what was needed to put the Bs in a solid position to make a legit Cup run. Have to give the guy nothing but praise this season. Like many, I wanted Stone badly at the deadline, but it was not meant to be. DS made do with what was realistically available, did not give up much of value for two quality players, and gave this team the depth it needed to at least be in the position to compete. Some luck was involved in not having to face TB or Wash, but that's the nature of the playoffs nowadays. It's doubtful the Bs would be in the ECF, up 2-0 to boot, without those two key deadline additions. The perfect storm needed to win the Cup continues to take shape.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I mean Rask for Raycroft wasn't bad either lol. Still laugh whenever razor is on the post game show talking about him.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't see how he doesn't win it. His offseason moves worked out -- crazy good fourth line, defensive depth, plus Halak, who steadied this team when he was hot. His deadline moves were absolutely crucial and amazing. Team is headed to the finals. Has the top line signed for wicked great contracts. Haven't agreed with or liked some of his moves in the past, but he has done a damn good job putting the team in the position it's in. Have to give the man credit where it is due. Really hope he wins the award.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His first 3 years were suspect, but since the end of last season he's made some great moves.

Letting two slower bottom 6 players leave in Schaller and Riley Nash and replacing them with faster, and harder players in Wagner and Nordstrom.

Adding to his defensive depth with Moore.

Gave Tuukka a better back-up in Halak and were seeing the dividends now from that move.

Going out and getting two much needed pieces in Coyle and Johansson. And did it without mortgaging the future.

This nomination as GM of the Year is well deserved.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't see how he doesn't win it. His offseason moves worked out -- crazy good fourth line, defensive depth, plus Halak, who steadied this team when he was hot. His deadline moves were absolutely crucial and amazing. Team is headed to the finals. Has the top line signed for wicked great contracts. Haven't agreed with or liked some of his moves in the past, but he has done a damn good job putting the team in the position it's in. Have to give the man credit where it is due. Really hope he wins the award.

If the votes are not made prior to the playoffs..

It will come down to Donny or Blues GM

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great work by Don and the rest of management... a well deserved nomination.

I have been critical of Sweeney many times, but credit when due.

Signing Halak was an excellent move. Less obvious -- far less obvious, to tell the truth -- were the Coyle & Johansson pick ups.

The latter had little time to gel because of his injury, and then sickness. Coyle, I could see, was an improvement. When they came together on the same line, it worked. Presto, the third line they desperately needed. Both have contributed a great deal in the playoffs.

Congratulations to Sweeney.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
But the main board usually ranks him as one of the worst GMs in the league. I mean the 2015 first round of the draft is the only thing that matters.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
But the main board usually ranks him as one of the worst GMs in the league. I mean the 2015 first round of the draft is the only thing that matters.

To be fair, he's made mistakes, and the first round of the 2015 draft is one of them. Overall, however, he's done a good job as GM, and the nomination for NHL GM of the Year is deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad