Don Granato is the worst coach in the nhl.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Time is a flat circle.

Pegula levels of Hell - Cycle 1
Ron Rolston (developmental coach)
Ted Nolan (hard nosed effort coach)
Dan Byslma (retread with terrible system)
Phil Housley (up and coming coordinator with no HC experience)
Ralph Krueger (the devil incarnate)

Pegula levels of Hell - Cycle 2
Don Granato (developmental coach)
______ Who is going to be our hard nosed effort coach?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Agreed. Much like Ottawa, I just did not see it with the Sabres. People put way too much stock into late season hockey every year.

I also think they're far worse off after the Eichel trade.
I mean yeah if you're forced to a legit star player you're going to be worse off, whoever acquires the player of that calibre wins the trade almost every single time

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
They’ve repeatedly hired mediocre coaches and then surrounded them with a poor organization and poor player talent.
Basically imagine AL Davis saying the exact opposite of his famous quote....And that's Buffalo lol.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
I also remember reading a clipping during the 04 lockout. The Sabres at that time had one of the highest all time winning percentages. I think they were 4th back then. But it Im wrong, I'm certain that I'm not that far off. I wonder where they rank now.

Even up until the 2017-18 season they were ranked 5th in all time pts percentage, just half a percentage point behind the Red Wings.

As of right now they are 14th.

Could see them being passed by a few more teams next season:

Sabres .506
Rangers .505
Leafs .504
Edmonton .502

Reactions: JianYang

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Losing culture is a real thing. When a franchise is stuck in a rut, losing begets more losing. The players aren’t actively trying to lose games, obviously, but they do become somewhat numb to the losses.

During a broadcast about a month ago, Jordan Staal said Carolina went through the same thing during their 10 year drought. Basically said that they had forgotten they were supposed to be upset, really upset, over losses.

Brindamour took over and changed the culture. Made it clear that playing the game, mistakes are going to happen, losses are going to happen, but how they react to the mistakes/losses is what pushes a player/team to be great.

Yes, and there's also an obvious constant between the pre-Brind'Amour Canes and the current Sabres. There's a one-dimensional/empty calories player who appeared as a 1st liner on both teams.

_____

As for Granato, he just strikes me as a bit naive. Like last season when he said something along the lines of "defence is the easy thing to coach"..... like, yeah, Sabres are much better defensively this season but it cost half the offence. You need to balance it way better.

Reactions: BFLO and Gjman2019

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No, none of the drought era coaches have gone on to be a HC in the NHL for a different team.

Since we fired Ruff in 2013 we've gone through

Ron Rolston
Ted Nolan
Dan Byslma
Phil Housley
Ralph Krueger
Don Granato (current)

I wouldn't be shocked if Housley gets another chance, or MAYBE Bylsma, but the rest of those clowns will never sniff the NHL again.

Housley is back to running the defense as an assistant and was immediately - he did in Arizona for three years and now this year with the Rangers. Bylsma took three years as an assistant in Detroit and has one of the better teams in the AHL as HC the last two seasons with Coachella. I can see him getting another look.

Nolan, Krueger are not going to wind up anywhere ever again.

Rolston's got a nice gig with one of the better programs in Hockey East at Providence where he's been associate head coach for the last six years. He might get another look if he wants one some day, but it seems more likely that he'll be an NCAA lifer.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I will say that the Sabres are going to finish about where Vegas picked them to finish going into this season, 11th.

That was because Adams slow played this past offseason, adding very marginal talent, while continuing to count on the youngest team in the league to overachieve.

Very short sighted on his part and he deserves the lion's share of the blame IMO.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He sucks for sure.

I have no idea how NHL head coaches have conned management teams all over the league into believing they couldn't possibly do the job without having years of cushy job security.

Mike Sullivan's 3 year 16.5 million dollar extension doesn't even start until next season. Like do they not realize a coach shelf life is typically only 2-3 years?
Considering they can be fired at any time and the longest tenured coach in the Pacific division is 3 years, I wouldn't say job security is a perk of an NHL coach. Sounds like they're negotiating when they should here.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He sucks for sure.

I have no idea how NHL head coaches have conned management teams all over the league into believing they couldn't possibly do the job without having years of cushy job security.

Mike Sullivan's 3 year 16.5 million dollar extension doesn't even start until next season. Like do they not realize a coach shelf life is typically only 2-3 years?
Any of you guys ever heard of the Dodgers' manager from the 50s and 60s named Walt Alston?

"At a time when multi-year contracts were on the rise, Alston's managerial career consisted of 23 one-year contracts. He earned seven NL pennants in that span."

We'll never see it again, but that's the way it should be done. I have a great year, you pay me. I have a shit year, you're not on the hook, and I can go anywhere else.

Considering they can be fired at any time and the longest tenured coach in the Pacific division is 3 years, I wouldn't say job security is a perk of an NHL coach. Sounds like they're negotiating when they should here.
How many fired HCs do you see as assistants? The league is rife with them.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Guess you guys dont know about Pascal Vincent. He wasnt Columbus' 1st or 2nd choice if that tells you anything

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
We heard this about Bylsma, Kruger, Housley, and now Granato.

At what point does it become the team may suck. And, if it is on the coaches, what gives people any faith the Pegula's can actually hire someone.
A Leaf fan speaking from first-hand experience

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
I don't think the Sabres' "parts" are that impressive.

Most of their roster overachieved last season, scoring wise, and ratcheted up the expectations.
It's still wild how with multiple top picks including a few 1st overalls they cannot even make the playoffs. Somehow just sucking your way into multiple top picks doesn't guarantee long term success, because teaching young players to suck in order to get some shiny new picks in a draft might just make them not give 100% when needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad