Don Cherry

Brio

Oct 17, 2013
I'm just saying you *****ing about expensive ticket prices is a joke of an excuse for Denverites not to go to a hockey game. I agree that 10-1-0 record does not make up for many years of awful teams and this is the real reason the Avs aren't getting sell-outs, not the ticket prices. You have it so good compared to some NHL markets.

I am also bitter that I am stuck in this god-forsaken place where we have to plug in our cars due to the -40 C temperatures and I can't even get a hockey ticket. Sue me.

akadubin

Jun 28, 2013
Castle Rock
How can we go to a game with no games to go to? I was at the Bronco game Sunday so that wasn't an option. Waiting again until Friday to see my Avs play again is BS! Last week was bad enough waiting from Monday night to Friday and now I gotta wait until Friday from Sunday? BS!

I was at both the Broncos and Avs game Sunday. It can be done!

Monday morning was awful, but that's the price you pay

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's easy for you to spend other people's money.

I'm not speaking about people who can't afford tickets, I am aware that everyone has differing personal situations. My point is about the people who say "I don't go to hockey games because the tickets are too expensive but I would go if they were cheaper". Well, they are and that's a fact.

The attendance doesn't worry me a bit. It is true the attendance has not been fantastic and will need time to rebuild. But to blanket statement and say its awful, make a judgement on people and throw out 13k as a number which isn't true in any context is just absolutely beyond maddening.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not speaking about people who can't afford tickets, I am aware that everyone has differing personal situations. My point is about the people who say "I don't go to hockey games because the tickets are too expensive but I would go if they were cheaper". Well, they are and that's a fact.

The attendance doesn't worry me a bit. It is true the attendance has not been fantastic and will need time to rebuild. But to blanket statement and say its awful, make a judgement on people and throw out 13k as a number which isn't true in any context is just absolutely beyond maddening.

Avs drew 13,927 in their last game and today Cherry tweeted this:

The Avalanche are still rolling along. 10-1 record. But what's going on in Denver only 13000 in stands. 1st place club and they can't draw.

So he was off by 927. I don't see what the big deal is.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
So he was off by 927. I don't see what the big deal is.
I think the problem is twofold:
1. He used the lowest-attended game of the year to call them out. A game that just happened to take place directly after a Broncos home game, and during a World Series game and the local MLS team's season finale.

2. He rounded DOWN from 927 to 0. If you're going to round 927, you round it up to 1,000. He short changed us by nearly 1,000 fans. He should have said 14,000; it wouldn't have hurt his point.

It's just disingenuous. Obviously we aren't drawing like we did from 1995-2005, but 13,000 isn't a fair number to throw out there to illustrate it. He should have put the bare minimum of effort into research before making us out to look like the Phoenix Coyotes.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I'm just saying you *****ing about expensive ticket prices is a joke of an excuse for Denverites not to go to a hockey game. I agree that 10-1-0 record does not make up for many years of awful teams and this is the real reason the Avs aren't getting sell-outs, not the ticket prices. You have it so good compared to some NHL markets.

I am also bitter that I am stuck in this god-forsaken place where we have to plug in our cars due to the -40 C temperatures and I can't even get a hockey ticket. Sue me.
Again, look at the in-market competition.

As far as major or mid major league sports go, the Jets have to compete with the Bombers of the CFL. That's it.

The Avalanche have the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NLL, and MLL (not to mention the tons of minor league and college teams around the state).

If the Avs are terrible or the ownership is being dumb, Denver fans can and will just go watch another sport.

Denver is by far the smallest market with a team in the four major leagues, and we also have the other teams like the Rapids, Mammoth, Outlaws, CSU/CU/DU/Air Force/CC sports, etc. There's only a finite amount of sports dollars to go around here, so when the Avs are bad and yet still trying to get higher ticket prices than the Rockies, Nuggets, or Mammoth it isn't surprising that attendance falls.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Again, look at the in-market competition.

As far as major or mid major league sports go, the Jets have to compete with the Bombers of the CFL. That's it.

The Avalanche have the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NLL, and MLL (not to mention the tons of minor league and college teams around the state).

If the Avs are terrible or the ownership is being dumb, Denver fans can and will just go watch another sport.

Denver is by far the smallest market with a team in the four major leagues, and we also have the other teams like the Rapids, Mammoth, Outlaws, CSU/CU/DU/Air Force/CC sports, etc. There's only a finite amount of sports dollars to go around here, so when the Avs are bad and yet still trying to get higher ticket prices than the Rockies, Nuggets, or Mammoth it isn't surprising that attendance falls.

You know, I have read that before and I wonder how true that is. I know Denver is not that big of a city as cities go, but the surrounding area is huge.(albeit with a small population density) Areas like Utah, and Wyoming and Montana. I know that we draw a lot of fans from those areas as well, at least for the Broncos and Avalanche.

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I mean this is Broncos country in Orange. I assume the Avalanche's is around the same.
1025410_10151841547560777_1561635510_o.png

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
You know, I have read that before and I wonder how true that is. I know Denver is not that big of a city as cities go, but the surrounding area is huge.(albeit with a small population density) Areas like Utah, and Wyoming and Montana. I know that we draw a lot of fans from those areas as well, at least for the Broncos and Avalanche.
There aren't any people in those places.

The other markets with a team in all four leagues:
New York, Dallas, Bay Area, Minneapolis-St Paul, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Philly, Phoenix, and DC.

Of those, only Minneapolis and Miami are close to Denver's media market size and Denver is still smaller.

Mouse21*

There aren't any people in those places.

The other markets with a team in all four leagues:
New York, Dallas, Bay Area, Minneapolis-St Paul, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Philly, Phoenix, and DC.

Of those, only Minneapolis and Miami are close to Denver's media market size and Denver is still smaller.

cleveland is smaller, my man.
you forgot cleveland.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado

:laugh:

Have you ever been out here??

Wyoming has a half million inhabitants. Montana is, at the very least, 6.5 hr drive away, and that's just to the state line, much less to a town with anyone there (and there are only a million people in the entire state to choose from). It's, like, negative population density. Until you drive through it, you really have no idea. (I don't mean "you" as in you personally; just anyone at all. Everyone I know from either coast is absolutely shocked when they see what "wide open space" really means.)

Salt Lake City has a few people, but it's an 8-hr drive, at the least, in good weather. You still have fewer than a million in its metro area as well.

Comparisons on any level with Chicago, SoCal, NorCal, etc, are futile.

OldSchoolAvalanche*

The fans will come back. This franchise has been a mess for half a decade and a lot of fans have been genuinely upset at ownership.

But this team sold out every game the first 14 years they were here. I know they were fresh and new and loaded with stars, but that still isn't a fluke. As the Avs continue to rebuild their image the gates will reflect that in time.

Denver is a crowded sports market. The Rockies draw 30,000+ 81 times a year, the Broncos draw 76,000+ 8-10 times a year, the Nuggets draw 16,000+ 41 times a year. The Rapids drew an average of ~15,000 for 17 or so home games, the Mammoth have averaged 15,000 a game for ten consecutive seasons, the Outlaws are the biggest draw in Major League Lacrosse. Then you have CU/CSU football and basketball, DU basketball and hockey, etc.

If the team isn't good fans here have plenty of other options, all year round. And that Sunday game was right after a Broncos home game, during the World Series, during the Rapids season finale. There was a lot going on for the sports scene.
Management for sure and the NHL going through two lockouts. I swore off hockey for a bit after the first lockout. The talk of lockouts have pushed away a lot of their fans. They need to get their stuff together. Because if they lock out again ill walk away and never come back.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
:laugh:

Have you ever been out here??

Wyoming has a half million inhabitants. Montana is, at the very least, 6.5 hr drive away, and that's just to the state line, much less to a town with anyone there (and there are only a million people in the entire state to choose from). It's, like, negative population density. Until you drive through it, you really have no idea. (I don't mean "you" as in you personally; just anyone at all. Everyone I know from either coast is absolutely shocked when they see what "wide open space" really means.)

Salt Lake City has a few people, but it's an 8-hr drive, at the least, in good weather. You still have fewer than a million in its metro area as well.

Comparisons on any level with Chicago, SoCal, NorCal, etc, are futile.

Yeah, your right, it was dumb argument. I grew up in Littleton, I should have known better.

Last edited:

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver

People don't drive from those places to see the Avs, though. MAYBE once a year if you're a huge fan.

The regular day to day games is what is affected by immediate city population and that is where Denver (including it's suburbs) is small compared to Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Seattle, Phoenix, Miami, Boston, New York, Detroit, St Louis, Dallas, etc.

There's simply not enough people to go around when there's competition.

Mant*

It all started with the 04-05 lockout. We lose an entire season, Forsberg and Foote, and they raised the ticket prices. They've raised ticket prices every year since 1995. They become a bottom feeder team and continue to raise prices, while their advertising was all about buying diamonds, porches, cadillac, and lexus... for christmas... for someone else... or else you're a bad person. They raised prices as the economy moved towards depression. Then we lose half a season, 29th in the league, and they raise the prices again.

Simply put, the team has sucked its way to the bottom and priced themselves out of what a casual fan is willing to pay to watch a bad team lose. They string together a few seasons where they make the playoffs and don't get swept right out of them, then fans will start returning more consistently.

People in Denver have a huge number of options to spend their entertainment budget on, and for the past half decade the Avalanche have been a waste of time and money.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Once the Avs start making the playoffs again then the casual/bandwagon fans will start to fill up the Pepsi Center.

I've already been to half of the home games this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Once the Avs start making the playoffs again then the casual/bandwagon fans will start to fill up the Pepsi Center.

I've already been to half of the home games this year.

Yea it will take some playoff buzz. They'll have to win at least one round and be competitive in the second. Regular season success will likely only provide a small bump in average attendance. Just the way it works in pretty much every city that's gone through a rebuild like the Avs have.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
StubHub is another good place to look for tickets. I picked up two tickets to the Dallas game the other week, 16 rows from the ice in the attacking zone twice for $22/each (with taxes and fees).

The only way the Can will be sold out consistently again is when the casual/bandwagon fans come back. And, as it's been said in the topic, that's going to take more than a great start to the season after how poor the team and the local media coverage has been for the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad