Don Cherry

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Just watching on sportsnet the fan 590, they had don cherry on and he was saying his favourite team to watch right now are the avs, he loves the o'reilly, duchene, downie line and he said duchene should be on team canada and hes going to give opponents trouble on the big ice.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 2h

The Avalanche are still rolling along. 10-1 record. But what's going on in Denver only 13000 in stands. 1st place club and they can't draw.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

The Avalanche are still rolling along. 10-1 record. But what's going on in Denver only 13000 in stands. 1st place club and they can't draw.

The Broncos were going on...

Still it is worrying to see that attendance has (understandably) gone down so much over the last few years.

I hope we can reverse the trend soon!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I can understand the Sunday game, the Broncos will always be the top draw in Denver, but what was up with the game last Friday?

We have an exciting team, that's winning hockey games, and we're still having trouble filling The Can?

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I can understand the Sunday game, the Broncos will always be the top draw in Denver, but what was up with the game last Friday?

We have an exciting team, that's winning hockey games, and we're still having trouble filling The Can?

I'm doing what I can by driving with my son to Colorado from Oregon to see two games at the end of the year.

member 116861

It's so pathetic how nobody goes to these games. They are fun to watch, the team is winning and they aren't that expensive.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
It would be interesting to see an analysis that looks at game attendance vs team success, particularly for markets like Denver. For example, what's the typical lag time before attendance numbers pick up following sustained success from a franchise?

Huis Clos*

The Avs have been an atrocious team the last five years, with three top five picks. Then you add in an incredibly expensive ticket and it's not exactly a difficult concept as to why people don't show up.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
It's so pathetic how nobody goes to these games. They are fun to watch, the team is winning and they aren't that expensive.

They're actually one of the pricier teams in the league still. They're generating interest around Colorado. That is for sure, even where I live in the springs you hear them spoken about frequently and see more shirts/jerseys around town.

It all comes down to money imho. I can't afford to go to every game. I only go to the family night games or if I get a steal on tickets on craigslist.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A hot start might garner more fan interest but until we start making the playoffs on a consistent basis we wont get the numbers. I have faith the fans will come back and the can will be rocking at capacity in 2-3 yrs if this upward trend continues.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You gotta understand that casual fans are the stupidest people on earth.

Then take in that the local media attention doesn't give a damn about anyone or anything except Broncos and stories about death.

No media attention = No casual fans going to the games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe the fact that Avs have only improved for 11 games so far after few years of being awful, and that's why attendance is still down.

It's probably gonna take a full season of steady play and playoff appearance to get the attendance where it should be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is going to take time, and will be after football season before the Avs start bringing in fans again. By that time the Nuggets should suck, and the Avs will be the big draw. If by game 50 we are still only drawing 13000 fans, it would be because they started losing again.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The fans will come back. This franchise has been a mess for half a decade and a lot of fans have been genuinely upset at ownership.

But this team sold out every game the first 14 years they were here. I know they were fresh and new and loaded with stars, but that still isn't a fluke. As the Avs continue to rebuild their image the gates will reflect that in time.

Denver is a crowded sports market. The Rockies draw 30,000+ 81 times a year, the Broncos draw 76,000+ 8-10 times a year, the Nuggets draw 16,000+ 41 times a year. The Rapids drew an average of ~15,000 for 17 or so home games, the Mammoth have averaged 15,000 a game for ten consecutive seasons, the Outlaws are the biggest draw in Major League Lacrosse. Then you have CU/CSU football and basketball, DU basketball and hockey, etc.

If the team isn't good fans here have plenty of other options, all year round. And that Sunday game was right after a Broncos home game, during the World Series, during the Rapids season finale. There was a lot going on for the sports scene.

Brio

Oct 17, 2013
The Avs have been an atrocious team the last five years, with three top five picks. Then you add in an incredibly expensive ticket and it's not exactly a difficult concept as to why people don't show up.

I live in Winnipeg. With it being a hockey mad Canadian city with only 15, 000 seats your "incredibly expensive ticket" prices seem insignificant compared to ours. I saw on the ticker on the Canes game that the Avs were offering up 4 tickets, 4 fries, 4 Pepsis, 4 sandwiches and a $10 gift certificate for $100 for the Jets game in the Can. I know its a deal that doesn't come around all the time, but still, even when you can somehow grab a ticket here (all the season tickets which forced you into a 5 year deal were sold out in 17 minutes) $100 might get you a single third row ticket and a beer and nachos.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You won't see immediate results of turning the corner. If Avs keeps winning and keeps playing good hockey, people will come. It may take months, but it will happen.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

This is ****ing BS. A complete ****ing fabrication.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Avs are averaging 16k per game and that includes the game that was going on while the Broncos were playing. And it didn't draw 13k, it was 13,927. When the Avs get a few more home games that average will go up. The Adam Foote retirement game will be a big draw. they even sold standing room only tickets to the Wings game, which either they have never done or have not in a long time. I've been looking at getting tickets to the Blues match at the end of the month and the secondary market has LEPT in the last few days. I can't get a lower bowl ticket at less than face right now.

Here is the game by game attendance:

Wednesday 10/2 vs. Anaheim: 18,007 (sellout)
Friday 10/4 vs. Nashville: 14,494
Tuesday 10/15 vs. Dallas: 15,208
Thursday 10/17 vs. Detroit: 18,101 (over sell out)
Friday 10/25 vs. Carolina: 16,177
Sunday 10/27 vs. Winnipeg: 13,927

That game against Carolina sticks out to me. Friday night but nothing "special" about that game, nobody goes to a game in Denver to "see" the Hurricanes and it was over 16k. It will take time for attendance to come back, people don't chance their perceptions over night. Also, its been reported that the TV ratings have more than doubled since last season. I can't stand it when the media makes up a complete fabrication and it is passed off as fact. Its not opinion but just straight fabrication. And the implication that Denver is a crappy sports town I take very personally.

Last edited:

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
How can we go to a game with no games to go to? I was at the Bronco game Sunday so that wasn't an option. Waiting again until Friday to see my Avs play again is BS! Last week was bad enough waiting from Monday night to Friday and now I gotta wait until Friday from Sunday? BS!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
How can we go to a game with no games to go to? I was at the Bronco game Sunday so that wasn't an option. Waiting again until Friday to see my Avs play again is BS! Last week was bad enough waiting from Monday night to Friday and now I gotta wait until Friday from Sunday? BS!

Yah no kidding Avs schedule is pretty messed up. The only good thing about the lay off is guys liek EJ and Mcginn can get healthier.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
One hot stretch of play doesn't make the average fan forget about the past 8+ years of mediocrity. If they continue to play well this year the attendance will increase but its going to take more than a 10 game hot streak for the fans to come back to the team.

If they keep it up and make the playoff this year next year attendance will go up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And ticket prices is such a BS excuse too. It takes five seconds of effort to find a deal on tickets.

Go here to get half price tickets to several games a month.

http://www.ksegroups.com/landing.aspx?lpid= P 0Gi0x/bA=&lpo

I don't think anyone is using high ticket prices as an excuse.

The reason people still don't show is because one 10-game hot streak doesn't make up for 8 years of mediocre to piss poor play. If they continue to show that they are an up and up team the fans will slowly flock back but its going to take time to erase the memories of the past 8 years.

Huis Clos*

I live in Winnipeg. With it being a hockey mad Canadian city with only 15, 000 seats your "incredibly expensive ticket" prices seem insignificant compared to ours. I saw on the ticker on the Canes game that the Avs were offering up 4 tickets, 4 fries, 4 Pepsis, 4 sandwiches and a $10 gift certificate for $100 for the Jets game in the Can. I know its a deal that doesn't come around all the time, but still, even when you can somehow grab a ticket here (all the season tickets which forced you into a 5 year deal were sold out in 17 minutes) $100 might get you a single third row ticket and a beer and nachos.

:biglaugh:

You're comparing the Winnipeg and Denver markets? Seriously?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad