Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2015-2016

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
Perhaps the perspective is different for some. He went to Afghanistan only after he came under intense criticism for ardently supporting the war on Coach's Corner for 8 years yet showing considerable reluctance to visit the troops. He had no choice really and he had to put his money where his mouth was. He also went when the Chief of Defense staff was there i.e. when it was secure and minimal chance of danger. A safe space in other words.

Supporting the troops =\= supporting the war. You're making quite the leap there and he didn't have to do anything. He could have stayed home tweeting like your boy Bruce Arthur, but by popular demand he went over to a warzone.

You know why it was so secure? People were risking their lives to make it that way.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Looking forward to seeing the next Coach's Corner segment where he will broadcast the Canadian players singing our anthem, as another Gold Medal in hockey is won!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Supporting the troops =\= supporting the war. You're making quite the leap there and he didn't have to do anything. He could have stayed home tweeting like your boy Bruce Arthur, but by popular demand he went over to a warzone.

You know why it was so secure? People were risking their lives to make it that way.

Cherry is a chicken hawk coward who wanted to send troops to die in Iraq. His self-promotion and crocodile tears are designed to mask the fact that he advocates sending soldiers into war zones they should never have to be involved with. That's one of the few times spineless Ron actually stood up to him. Predictably, Don got owned.

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
Cherry is a chicken hawk coward who wanted to send troops to die in Iraq. His self-promotion and crocodile tears are designed to mask the fact that he advocates sending soldiers into war zones they should never have to be involved with. That's one of the few times spineless Ron actually stood up to him. Predictably, Don got owned.

Him going to Afghanistan after being asked to be there by soldiers makes your point very moot. It must bother you that his relationship with veterans is positive. Soldiers don't just honour anybody and they chose him after his continued vocal support. I can only imagine how much that irks you.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

What does the soldiers making a place secure have to do with Cherry or his opinions on Coach's C?

You say this provides perspective, but to what? All I'm seeing is you using irrelevant factors to dismiss criticisms of him.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

How informative.

:laugh::sarcasm:

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I've been watching CC since I was a kid in the early 2000s. Maybe I'm off base but I've never seen Don and Ron so consistently irritated with eachother than the last few weeks. The white stick thing was the cherry on top lol. Ron snapped back at Don a few times also.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How informative.

:laugh::sarcasm:

I'm sure the truth hurts, but it's a fact that Cherry wanted to send Canadian soldiers to Iraq, where many of them would have undoubtedly been killed, and criticized the government for not going along with one of the biggest foreign policy blunders in recent history. History has shown Cherry to have been completely wrong and MacLean to have been completely right.

Among other topics where Cherry was completely wrong, we can also add "Rob Ford will be the greatest mayor Toronto has ever had."

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I've been watching CC since I was a kid in the early 2000s. Maybe I'm off base but I've never seen Don and Ron so consistently irritated with eachother than the last few weeks. The white stick thing was the cherry on top lol. Ron snapped back at Don a few times also.

It's worth remembering how long MacLean and Cherry have been together on Coach's Corner.

Cherry has mellowed a lot. If you watch some of those old clips (80s-90s in particular) - it looked like they actually hated each other. They both looked unprofessional frequently (not all the time) to say the least. MacLean is also a lot less confrontational and I'm sure that also plays a role.

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
Guess you don't actually have a substantive comeback. No surprise there, of course. :laugh:

Huh? :shakehead I already replied about Don's great relationship with the military. Nothing more needs to be said on the subject. I know you're rocking 44k posts, so you may think this is some kind of battle of comebacks but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Huh? :shakehead I already replied about Don's great relationship with the military. Nothing more needs to be said on the subject. I know you're rocking 44k posts, so you may think this is some kind of battle of comebacks but that couldn't be further from the truth.

1. Did Cherry want to send soldiers to Iraq, yes or no?

2. Would soldiers have died I'm Iraq, yes or no?

If you answer no to #1, you're a liar.

If you answer no to #2, you're hopelessly naive.

If you answer yes to both, then you acknowledge Cherry was fine with soldiers dying for a political cause.

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
1. Did Cherry want to send soldiers to Iraq, yes or no?

2. Would soldiers have died I'm Iraq, yes or no?

If you answer no to #1, you're a liar.

If you answer no to #2, you're hopelessly naive.

If you answer yes to both, then you acknowledge Cherry was fine with soldiers dying for a political cause.
The only question I need to answer; Did the Canadian forces honour Don Cherry? Yes, more than one honours and they don't honour just anybody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad