Don Cherry- Pettersson is Gretzky like but not protected enough

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i didn't see how that play developed before pettersson slightly engaged kotkaniemi on the end boards, but re: never go looking for trouble, that's the first thing that came to my mind last year when boeser got hurt. even before he got chucked into the open bench, i was saying to myself while watching that play, "boeser what are you doing?"

but young skill guys going out of their way to make the opposition feel their presence on the ice, trying to develop a reputation as a guy who competes, in theory i like it. bad luck in both cases, but i think both guys are going to learn to pick their spots better.

at the same time, i think if it were a team with wiser veteran support, boeser and petey maybe would have figured that out earlier. the sedins aren't the right guys to pull them aside after watching them try to finish their checks at inopportune times or putting themselves in bad situations and say, "kid, this is when you do/don't do it, these are the kind of guys you avoid, these are the plays that are dangerous, this is how you roll away or protect yourself from a potentially dangerous retaliation cheap shot." the sedins' strategy was just to gain 30 pounds and get really really strong on your skates. and obviously a guy like sutter has shown that he's more concerned about calling out younger guys than helping them.

Reactions: B-rock

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

I thought it was a clear that this was a team of individuals where you gotta take care of your own crap because nobody else is going to do it for you.

Marner knows he doesn't have to go back at any player because the Leafs are capable of lighting up their opposition for a touch down and because they got a couple of league wide respected veterans in Tavares and Marleau and a league wide respected coach in Mike Babcock.

Disrespect Toronto's veterans at your own peril.

Reactions: geebaan

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I thought it was a clear that this was a team of individuals where you gotta take care of your own crap because nobody else is going to do it for you.

Marner knows he doesn't have to go back at any player because the Leafs are capable of lighting up their opposition for a touch down and because they got a couple of league wide respected veterans in Tavares and Marleau and a league wide respected coach in Mike Babcock.

Disrespect Toronto's veterans at your own peril.

time to bring in Lucic
:sarcasm:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Old "Marner For Gudbranson" Cherry thinks we need more meat and potatoes?

Get out of town!

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Let me get this straight – Don Cherry is claiming that giving it back conflicts with his views and those of hockey men? Don Cherry is claiming this? To turn the other cheek and not return fire? Does he understand that he is contradicting the last 114 years of his career, and probably did later that same segment?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Cherry should retire he just talks for the sake of talking it's dribble now. Pettersson pushed back who wouldn't it's natural reaction just bad luck on play.

Reactions: geebaan

member 290103

Lol Cherry..

‘Yes he’s good, but he needs to be more like a Maple Leaf.’

He should just broadcast wearing a Leaf jersey.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Cherry is one of those people who I can't stand to listen to. I just change the channel or mute him whenever he is on. Haven't watched him in over 20 years.

Reactions: Jimnastic

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Cherry can barely complete a coherent sentence these days, and he wasn't that great at it before either. He is virtually unlistenable, a parody of a parody.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Cherry doesn't say anything negative about Petterson. He just acknowledges some stuff. Gretzky had the top six tailored to him so he'd always have the pieces he needed to operate. Canucks have not remade the roster to enhance Petterson.

Cherry is publicly citing Gretzky in Petterson discussion. I think his comments were apt.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
time to bring in Lucic
:sarcasm:

I know you’re using the tongue-in-cheek smilie, but is this really the worst idea in the world?......I’m not so sure.

In a hypothetical conversation that we’re not really having, I would atleast ponder the idea of trading Eriksson to Edmonton for Lucic and a pick. With McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl there, you’d have to think that Eriksson would have a better chance of regaining his scoring touch in Edmonton with better Center options available. If he doesn’t, Eriksson still has a solid 200 foot game and is a good PK’er.

Lucic is slow as molasses these days and seems to have lost a bit of his soul when his father passed in 2015 (very understandable by the way), but Lucic would get more opportunities in Vancouver since Vancouver isn’t as deep on the left side as Edmonton.

Being surrounded by family and friends might also help Lucic to feel good again......if that’s one of the current issues that’s plaguing him.

If the Canucks were to acquire Lucic, maybe management could get him to work with Bo Horvat’s skating coach from a few years ago. Get Lucic to drop some weight so that it also helps his skating. I believe Iginla did this back when he was around Lucic’s age and reinvented himself a little.

A motivated and happy Lucic = no opposing team even looking at Pettersson, Boeser, and Quinn Hughes the wrong way.

As the Canucks continue to get better and become a playoff calibre team again, they’ll need to do a better job of protecting their stars.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I know you’re using the tongue-in-cheek smilie, but is this really the worst idea in the world?......I’m not so sure.

In a hypothetical conversation that we’re not really having, I would atleast ponder the idea of trading Eriksson to Edmonton for Lucic and a pick. With McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl there, you’d have to think that Eriksson would have a better chance of regaining his scoring touch in Edmonton with better Center options available. If he doesn’t, Eriksson still has a solid 200 foot game and is a good PK’er.

Lucic is slow as molasses these days and seems to have lost a bit of his soul when his father passed in 2015 (very understandable by the way), but Lucic would get more opportunities in Vancouver since Vancouver isn’t as deep on the left side as Edmonton.

Being surrounded by family and friends might also help Lucic to feel good again......if that’s one of the current issues that’s plaguing him.

If the Canucks were to acquire Lucic, maybe management could get him to work with Bo Horvat’s skating coach from a few years ago. Get Lucic to drop some weight so that it also helps his skating. I believe Iginla did this back when he was around Lucic’s age and reinvented himself a little.

A motivated and happy Lucic = no opposing team even looking at Pettersson, Boeser, and Quinn Hughes the wrong way.

As the Canucks continue to get better and become a playoff calibre team again, they’ll need to do a better job of protecting their stars.
Benning....please give Hindustan Smyl his account back.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Benning....please give Hindustan Smyl his account back.

Like I said - getting Lucic isn’t the best idea in the world, but IF we want to go down this road, then Eriksson should go the other way......for Lucic and a DRAFT PICK (ie something the Canucks should be stockpiling on given where they are in their development).

I don’t know about you, but other players taking liberties with Pettersson is a concern to me.....and it’s only going to get worse as Pettersson continues to improve and dominate games even moreso. Quinn Hughes is a small skinny guy himself.

Granted - enforcers with decent hockey ability can be had anywhere for relatively cheap, but Lucic is Lucic. We’re talking about a guy that’s arguably the toughest guy in the league....and we’re talking about a guy that might still be young enough to get back to his old game (ie drop some weight, work on his skating in the offseason, be surrounded by family and friends in his hometown to help get over the loss of his dad).

Lucic will also get more opportunities in Vancouver since our depth on LW is atrocious.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Like I said - getting Lucic isn’t the best idea in the world, but IF we want to go down this road, then Eriksson should go the other way......for Lucic and a DRAFT PICK (ie something the Canucks should be stockpiling on given where they are in their development).

I don’t know about you, but other players taking liberties with Pettersson is a concern to me.....and it’s only going to get worse as Pettersson continues to improve and dominate games even moreso. Quinn Hughes is a small skinny guy himself.

Granted - enforcers with decent hockey ability can be had anywhere for relatively cheap, but Lucic is Lucic. We’re talking about a guy that’s arguably the toughest guy in the league....and we’re talking about a guy that might still be young enough to get back to his old game (ie drop some weight, work on his skating in the offseason, be surrounded by family and friends in his hometown to help get over the loss of his dad).

Lucic will also get more opportunities in Vancouver since our depth on LW is atrocious.

If we can bring the guy in with 4th line money, 1-2 mil, sure I'll take it.

At the moment he's little more than paper weight, if somehow that Albertan team wants us to eat his contract, they will need to offer something SUBSTANTIAL as incentive. I mean really, really, really significant.

Toughness alone is no longer enough, not even close. Unless a player deliberately go out there with the sole purpose of hurting others every shift (if that is the case I'd recommend said player to stop playing hockey and turn himself in to the nearest mental asylum and/or RCMP station), a tough guy without skill will serve little more than comedic relief while players like Johnny Gaudreau skates circles around them and score at will.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Hard pass. Contract aside... Lucic can't do much to protect the young'uns if he can't keep up the play.

...or is suspended for going crazy overboard each time he does.

If he somehow got back to actually playing good hockey... maybe? But no, that would be a terrible idea as he is currently.

On the family and friends aspect, Lucic has just as many, if not more haters out here. Like legitimate haters for his role in 2011 and slightly after that. It's sad for him as this is his hometown, but no way does he get a friendly welcome. Lucic to Vancouver is frankly a recipe for a shitshow.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think our first line should be Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser.

I have no problem with what Cherry is saying. There have been many, many plays this season where Pettersson has been targeted or “bullied” by the opposition. Just look at Borowiecki when we played Ottawa or Matheson of course. Having Roussel on that line would theoretically end that. If someone is getting in EP’s face or taking liberties with him, Roussel wouldn’t have any of it. In addition, Roussel can actually hang with those two he’s not just a mouthpiece. That guy can play.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think our first line should be Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser.

This was one of my suggestions after the first few games when Pettersson was lighting it up. I pondered outloud If Pettersson should regularly play with Boeser by the time the season ended, and is Roussel would be the perfect linemate for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad