Don Cherry hates Russian players and Russian hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
This is your typical Don Cherry fan. "Uppity minorities" should be grounds for being banned for life from discussing hockey online

Well, if you're going to take him seriously, sure. But then we'd have to ban you for not picking up on sarcasm.

Anyway, did OP just discover Don Cherry or something? No one tell him that Brett Hull is a d-bag or that Pavel Bure has shady associates.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
He's acts like a xenophobic nationalist and is one of the biggest embarrassments in Canadian culture. The fact that people like him is an indicator of that person being a little too young or a little too old or a little too dumb.
You do realize one can like someone without sharing all of their core values/ideologies? I would say that this quality is actually indicative of qualities the opposite of naivety, senility, or low intelligence. Canadians hardly view him as an embarrassment as he was voted the seventh Greatest Canadian back in 2004, beating out Sir John A. McDonald (our first Prime Minister), Alexander Graham Bell, and Wayne Gretzky of the top 10 finalists.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Anyone that is not a hypermasculine white Canadian, to be more specific.

Cherry isn't racist. He likes Iginla and Kadri. He is partial to Canadians of all races. He just looks down on Americans and Europeans. And French-Canadians. And ok all Canadians not within a 300 mile radius of Kingston, Ontario.

But he is not racist.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
OF COURSE he's racist.

He was 13 years old when Jackie Robinson broke the colour barrier. For the first 13 years of his life he watched all-white baseball. And it was fine.

He was 30 years old when MLK did the march on Washington.

They didn't desegregate schools till he was nearly 40.

Of course he's going to be a xenophobic racist. Pretty much every old person is.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Not xenophobia.

The old stock Canadians still fear people who are different but these old stock folk are a dying breed.

Old stock folk?

Oh yeah, I forgot that this is 2016 and racist/ignorant generalizations are absolutely unacceptable unless they are directed towards white people.

:shakehead

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So basically.... anything he said in those videos thats wrong? I see a proud Canadian and a proud North American and a proud freedom lover and hes not afraid to say it about countries that are against that and have a diffy style of play

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Don is the best and will never change. Accept it and your life becomes so much better. Nice to have a guy on hockey night in Canada that can point out good and bad hockey instead of injury updates and trade rumors.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
You do realize one can like someone without sharing all of their core values/ideologies? I would say that this quality is actually indicative of qualities the opposite of naivety, senility, or low intelligence. Canadians hardly view him as an embarrassment as he was voted the seventh Greatest Canadian back in 2004, beating out Sir John A. McDonald (our first Prime Minister), Alexander Graham Bell, and Wayne Gretzky of the top 10 finalists.

LOL that's a national embarrassment. But it is just Canada after all

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
OF COURSE he's racist.

He was 13 years old when Jackie Robinson broke the colour barrier. For the first 13 years of his life he watched all-white baseball. And it was fine.

He was 30 years old when MLK did the march on Washington.

They didn't desegregate schools till he was nearly 40.

Of course he's going to be a xenophobic racist. Pretty much every old person is.

So growing up in a culture of general racism dooms a person to forever be racist? Pretty unfortunate. Amazing how society ever changes at all given the reality you are describing, since everyone will just continually be racist forever. It must be pretty shocking that Cherry grew up in that era and yet has expressed pretty progressive views with regard to things like equal rights for homosexuals, for instance.

Anyway, Cherry says a lot of stupid things. He has some useful insights too. Above all else he is an entertainer. It's funny that so many people bemoan how bland most hockey personalities are, and then clutch their pearls when discussing the most outsized personality in hockey. Disagreeing with Cherry is perfectly fine, and probably wise in most cases, but his presence is a net positive to the hockey world in my opinion.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Don Cherry hates russian players and russian hockey?

Russian people (and russian nhl players) consider that D.Cherry russophobe

He has a thing against all European players. As a Canadian myself I don't appreciate they stuff he says about players from other countries. Personally I'm not a fan of him, and I've tuned out of coaches corner for a while now.

Don't take him too seriously, Personally I think he's a joke. he might as well wear a blue and white suit for obvious reasons.

But that's not the end, he once said said something racist about francophones. (french Canadians) so he's on as far as criticizing his very own.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought russians and canadians is the same race

According to Don Cherry, there is a race of humans from Anglo-Canadian farm country (Ontario / Prairies) that is superior stock to other humans. Then below them are other Anglo-Canadians, Americans, Europeans, and finally, Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad