Don Cherry hates Russian players and Russian hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Don Cherry's starting lineup going by who he likes.

Wing: Jamie Benn & Brendan Gallagher

Center: Sidney Crosby

Defense: Kevin Bieksa & Brent Seabrook

Goalie: Roberto Luongo

It could work

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Nothing new here. His xenophobia, revisionism when it comes to his exploits, blatant homerism for the Leafs and Bruins, flat out lies on various topics, and so on are reasons I barely tune in to HNIC.

When he finally kicks the bucket I won't lose any sleep.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Nothing new here. His xenophobia, revisionism when it comes to his exploits, blatant homerism for the Leafs and Bruins, flat out lies on various topics, and so on are reasons I barely tune in to HNIC.

When he finally kicks the bucket I won't lose any sleep.

Lies? Would like to hear more about this one.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Back in Cherry's day men in general were tough and had respect for each other; Know we got people like Trudeau.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'd love to hear Don Cherry talk about Advanced Stats

I could see him just losing it. Calling it useless and such and such.

"I don't care what analytics say, Give me Kevin Bieksa ANY DAY of the week."

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Don Cherry's starting lineup going by who he likes.

Wing: Jamie Benn & Brendan Gallagher

Center: Sidney Crosby

Defense: Kevin Bieksa & Brent Seabrook

Goalie: Roberto Luongo

It could work

Fixed that for you

I was about to do that :laugh:

Yet, here is an example that shows a bit of why people take him too seriously (and you may agree here),

Do people honestly think he can't pronounce these players names after all this time? Do we really think he can't say Luongo?

It's an act! Probably not 100% act but it is enough of one that people should just take him with that grain of salt and realize he is putting on a show.

Soon he won't be putting on that show and some people will apparently look back upon his career as this horrible evil human being who committed atrocious acts while on this planet.

When really he's just a guy talking about hockey and staying relevant in entertainment by being a bit controversial here and there, and he went too far a few times over a 30+ year career to this point.

Someone brought up Archie Bunker, he's not even near consistently as bad as the Archie Bunker character (maybe he is in real life though) but sure good comparable to how to approach the way you feel about Don Cherry I guess.

He'll be gone in the next 5 years and there won't be anyone to replace him in any way which many will be fine with and some will miss, such is life.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He actually really liked Kovy before he bashed him for leaving to the KHL. But then again Kovy went after Avery, who Cherry hated, knocked out Schenn and threw some big hits. Kovy is the least softest Russian scoring forward that could have ever existed. Cherry respected that.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
People saying he rips on soft Canadians too are missing the point. It's one thing to call out Crosby for diving/playing soft as an individual, it's an entire other thing to call Crosby just another diving Nova Scotian. With Canadians, they're good in Cherry's books until they prove otherwise by diving or what have you. With Europeans, they're soft floaters until they prove otherwise.

I'm sure Canadians would appreciate if KHL announcers took Chris Simon's antics as a "Canadian" thing. There he goes with another Canadian cheapshot. And when you have a problem with that, they'd say "No, no, there's some good Canadians too, that Gretzky guy played pretty clean game for a Canadian."

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I find it hilarious some idiots think that criticizing Subban or E. Kane for doing something without bringing up their race is racist, yet it's perfectly fine to say blatantly racist things to Europeans especially Russians in the game. It's dumb.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
People saying he rips on soft Canadians too are missing the point. It's one thing to call out Crosby for diving/playing soft as an individual, it's an entire other thing to call Crosby just another diving Nova Scotian. With Canadians, they're good in Cherry's books until they prove otherwise by diving or what have you. With Europeans, they're soft floaters until they prove otherwise.

I'm sure Canadians would appreciate if KHL announcers took Chris Simon's antics as a "Canadian" thing. There he goes with another Canadian cheapshot. And when you have a problem with that, they'd say "No, no, there's some good Canadians too, that Gretzky guy played pretty clean game for a Canadian."

What do they say about Canadian players overseas? They don't have a guy over there that makes Canadians seem unwholesome?

I wouldn't know or care, if they do or if they don't. There's no Don Cherry's in Russia/Europe, on a sports entertainment scale I mean?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is this a thread, is it 1980 or something? Cherry hating non-Canadians has been well known for so long now, no news or anything!

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I'm Canadian and have never liked him. I appreciate his patriotism but he is just way over the top for me. IMO.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
He's acts like a xenophobic nationalist and is one of the biggest embarrassments in Canadian culture. The fact that people like him is an indicator of that person being a little too young or a little too old or a little too dumb.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You should have heard Don in the 1980s. Every Swede was a coward. Every European, a stick swinging, spearing, little f....The Russians didn't arrive till the 80s in mass. Of course they were all chicken Commies, Didn't quite get, as some of the players defected to escape the Communist system.

Sure Don is entertaining in a Donald Trump way, except you doesn't want to have his hands on the nuclear codes.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Don Cherry remembers what this sport was. Back when there were no nancy-ass pads, back when you fought on every shift, [mod] back when you scored a goal and got a punch in the teeth.

When men were men.

When hockey was hockey.

What the hell kinda backwards thing is this . Jesus

Last edited by a moderator:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I find it hilarious some idiots think that criticizing Subban or E. Kane for doing something without bringing up their race is racist, yet it's perfectly fine to say blatantly racist things to Europeans especially Russians in the game. It's dumb.

Its discriminatory but it's not racist.

Russians aren't a race.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
There's few people in the industry who explain the fundamentals of the game as he does. All the out the things he picks apart during his segments work, and work well.

If you can look past the old man yelling at the sky gimmick, he's one of the best.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Don Cherry is an idiot.

He will forever be remembered as a brilliant hockey mind and a pathetic xenophobe.

His mentality and opinions are very much not what Canada is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad