Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's easy to target an ignorant, ill-educated dinosaur like Cherry. I find Maclean and the cohort of HNIC enablers much more contemptible; for giving a clown a platform for 30 years and for their conveniently "woke" come-to-jesus-moment. So no plaudits for Sportsnet: they let the cash registers sing until it was no longer expedient.

If he was 65 they would've looked the other way and let him go on. Still viable.

But he's 85 and has maybe 2 years left in the tank anyway, so Sportsnet decided they to cut bait.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Aren’t we all “You People” in this situation? I mean my wife is Creek Indian enough to get a check from her tribe every now and then but most of us are immigrants to this continent.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
It's interesting that he didn't mention that it's wrong for Canadians not to wear poppies, just that it's wrong for immigrants not to (who in Canada, are not mostly white).

You can capslock and yell all you want, but he's a racist.
Did you hear what he said? He believes people in big cities don't wear poppies, and most are immigrants.

P.S. I am a visible minority and I am not natural born citizen :popcorn:

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Well that what most definition of the concept say it is.
Freedom of speech - Wikipedia
Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation

How can it be free if it come with consequence ? I feel a lot of people got confused the other way around, that they think something can be costly and free at the same time.
Freedom of speech isn’t a one way street. He has a right to be a xenophobic bigot and people have a right to express a disgust towards it and want him held accountable for being a bigot and demonizing demographics of people that don’t fit his ideal world view.
I also don’t fall for the bs facile crutch leaning of calling bigotry just an opinion, like it’s on par with coffee is better than tea.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i liked him in the 80's but lost interest in the 90's and really disliked him after he kept ripping clutterbuck for being a dirty player which he wasn't.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He has become a liability, he doesn't bring much anymore for this kind of talk to be tolerated. If he just said that but actually brought something really valuable to the show then he wouldn't have been fired. This has been way overdue. He was kept on just for the sake of tradition, pretty much. He brings nothing of value to the table anymore.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Because I can tell.

Also nobody said it had to be a surefire 100% all the time.
"I saw immigrants not wearing a poppy" isn't evidence of the claim Cherry made. He, or you if you're supporting his claim, need to provide evidence that immigrants wear poppies at a lower rate than any other demographic in Canada. That is what Cherry was saying, and he was deriding them for taking our "milk and honey" while not supporting the troops.

Reactions: 4Orr

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
If you're taking anything Don Cherry says seriously you need to seriously re-evaluate your life. He is just a charicture of the old time hockey guy/coach. It's for entertainment purposes only. People are so silly

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Completely shocked at this news. Cherry seemed immune as far as facing consequences for anything he did.

He was a funny guy at one time, who told great hockey stories, and actually did some analysis. That stopped a long, long, time ago.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
_2yqMV.gif

Good riddance.

Reactions: dukeofjive and 4Orr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland