Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Good riddance

guy-playing-tiny-violin-small-1370510490A.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So it was ok to mock russian players, but this wasn't.

He's mocked pretty much everyone unless you were born in Kingston.

Europeans, French Canadians, people who don't wear the right suit to the game, people who put their stick in the way of shots, people who don't hit, people who don't fight, people against hitting or fighting...etc. etc. etc.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So it was ok to mock russian players, but this wasn't.
Clearly it was not ok, nor was it ok to deride French Canadians. The difference is their audience has shrunk dramatically and Cherry is decades out of date, so they aren't risking as large of a ratings drop this time and are risking alienating demographics they are chasing if they do nothing. This has everything to do with money.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The increasing obession and anger over the poppy is definetely one of the weirder things in recent years. Last time I checked you don't need to buy one or wear one to show respect. It's becoming the equivalent of a social media post patting yourself on the back for doing a good deed.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
It was always going to end this way, really. This year or next year or if the dam had broken in a previous year. He'd never retire gracefully or get a farewell like Cole did. His behaviour was always going to make that impossible. I've been wanting him gone for awhile, now, but had gotten used to Sunday outrage fading by Monday. But the reaction to the SNET "apology" yesterday, and Ron's cringe worthy attempt to apologize on behalf of someone who everyone knew clearly wasn't sorry felt different. I wonder whether the last straw (and how many straws did he get over the years) was Cherry's interview with Warmington where he stood by what he said. When the network called it discriminatory and wrong, and MacLean called it discriminatory and wrong, and the public reacted the way it did, it was going to be impossible to bring him back in almost any event, let alone when Cherry was going to dig in and be obstinate.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's the thing, even if you ignore the comments he made, look at it from this point of view: what does Cherry provide that makes him worthy of still being on TV at this point? Because even if you ignore the not so subtle racism, he's just a senile old man who has lost touch with the modern world. There's literally no reason to have him on TV anymore.

Good analysts adapt with changes in the game and continue furthering their knowledge. Cherry just screamed about the good old days at this point.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Wow...

Honestly don't think it was deserved for this specific incident, but his time was long overdue anyway. Horrible way for him to go out though.

Reactions: snipes

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Keep the show Coaches Corner and every week have a different ex or current NHL or AHL coach on to talk about current news in hockey.

My bet is Burke is the heir apparent, but I like the idea of cycling in coaches. I'd just like some meaningful insight. Cherry has been a parody of himself for so long that actual tactical insight would be fantastic for coverage.

Reactions: BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad