Sportsnet Don Cherry, a Hockey Institution in Canada, Is Fired After Divisive Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
"You people" didn't get him canned.

It was "You people that come here" that got him canned, since it made it seem that he was singling out immigrants.

"You people" by itself is sufficiently vague that it would include all Canadians -- recent immigrants and otherwise.

And it would have blown over like a normal Grapes rant.

I get what he was trying to say, but there are also better ways to support Veterans than "buying a Poppy". Increase federal (?) spending on vets, donate directly to veterans organizations, etc.

Exactly right.

Reactions: Sam Spade

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Interesting times.

Teaching US History and Civics, this kind of thing really hits close to home.

my background is poly sci, and I’ve worked a number of campaigns and in public offices.

The kids always want to know where my allegiances lie. I feel like, given my position as an authority figure in the classroom, it would be inappropriate for me to share that.

I had some teachers back in the day who wore it on their sleeve and would indoctrinate the children.

So I’ll say this much, we’ve all got to be true to who we are and what we believe. However, we also have to be aware that there can likely be consequences for what we say and do. So long as you can live with those consequences, do what you do.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I’m big on Remembrance Day and wearing poppies but to specifically criticize the newest people to this country and the least likely people to understand the significance behind them yet is ridiculous to me. You can find plenty of examples of born and raised Canadians not wearing poppies who have benefitted from this country their whole lives.

The amount of people who want to play dumb about his comments is also disappointing. You know exactly who he’s referencing with “you people that come here”. It’s too bad he ends his career on that note but I don’t disagree with his firing. I’m surprised they actually did it given his age and the fact he’s been straddling that line for years.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
However, we also have to be aware that there can likely be consequences for what we say and do. So long as you can live with those consequences, do what you do.
Isn't a potential consequence of me and a significant portion of people that share my circumstances ignoring the sacrifice and service of my current home's veterans to possibly shoulder criticism for my disregard? If this criticism comes from some old guy I view as a scold and don't pay any attention to anyway, what injury has me or my in-group suffered?

The likely truth is consequences go one way, as directed by today's outrage mobs on social media - not by the "you people" who are being singled out for unconscionable treatment of being scolded by a octogenarian in loud clothing. These twitter and facebook mobs would do well to study the path the French Revolution took, and what happens with vulgar power and those who wield it haphazardly.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m big on Remembrance Day and wearing poppies but to specifically criticize the newest people to this country and the least likely people to understand the significance behind them yet is ridiculous to me. You can find plenty of examples of born and raised Canadians not wearing poppies who have benefitted from this country their whole lives.

The amount of people who want to play dumb about his comments is also disappointing. You know exactly who he’s referencing with “you people that come here”. It’s too bad he ends his career on that note but I don’t disagree with his firing. I’m surprised they actually did it given his age and the fact he’s been straddling that line for years.

Cherry reminds me of that elderly relative most of us have in our families. We get together during holidays or when we visit, and this person spews out racist nonsense consistently. It’s typically excused because they are older and were raised in a time when that type of ideology was taught and accepted. Afterwards, you have to explain to your children that what the relative said was not right and not the way other people should be treated.

This typically goes on for awhile until one day that relative says something that either crosses the line or it simply gets to the point where the sheer volume has added up to the point where it is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. At that point, someone tells the relative that they are out of line. This usually leads to a lot of commotion within the family with people taking sides.

Don Cherry is that relative, only what he says gets heard by millions of people on HNIC. While it’s unfortunate, nobody should be surprised this is how it ended.

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
Cherry reminds me of that elderly relative most of us have in our families. We get together during holidays or when we visit, and this person spews out racist nonsense consistently. It’s typically excused because they are older and were raised in a time when that type of ideology was taught and accepted. Afterwards, you have to explain to your children that what the relative said was not right and not the way other people should be treated.

This typically goes on for awhile until one day that relative says something that either crosses the line or it simply gets to the point where the sheer volume has added up to the point where it is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. At that point, someone tells the relative that they are out of line. This usually leads to a lot of commotion within the family with people taking sides.

Don Cherry is that relative, only what he says gets heard by millions of people on HNIC. While it’s unfortunate, nobody should be surprised this is how it ended.
When they aired that All In the Family, usually Archie and Meathead would each have an epiphany about the other and their position, possibly with the lessons sticking for future episodes.

The world is so much better with clearly identified villains and heroes.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
When they aired that All In the Family, usually Archie and Meathead would each have an epiphany about the other and their position, possibly with the lessons sticking for future episodes.

The world is so much better with clearly identified villains and heroes.
Archie Bunker wasn't getting paid to talk to millions of people- he was working on a loading dock. And who's stopping Cherry from talking with his son in law?

Its a little strange that you thought the world was better when it was a fictional TV show.

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
Archie Bunker wasn't getting paid to talk to millions of people- he was working on a loading dock. And who's stopping Cherry from talking with his son in law?

Its a little strange that you thought the world was better when it was a fictional TV show.
I'd suggest you look at the post I responded to again. Chances are GloryDaze4877's family doesn't consist of people being paid to talk to millions of people, and have/had lives far more similar to a loading dock worker. Thus, the analogy.

But yeah, I'm totally weird, pining for rewarding familial relationships and not social media torchbearers coming for senior citizens.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I gotta add "You people" to the ever growing list. Canada's immigrants,(You people) come from 200 countries,including the US and Europe,with the Philippines leading the way recently,and Asia the most predominant.

Last edited:
Reactions: NMF

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Isn't a potential consequence of me and a significant portion of people that share my circumstances ignoring the sacrifice and service of my current home's veterans to possibly shoulder criticism for my disregard? If this criticism comes from some old guy I view as a scold and don't pay any attention to anyway, what injury has me or my in-group suffered?

The likely truth is consequences go one way, as directed by today's outrage mobs on social media - not by the "you people" who are being singled out for unconscionable treatment of being scolded by a octogenarian in loud clothing. These twitter and facebook mobs would do well to study the path the French Revolution took, and what happens with vulgar power and those who wield it haphazardly.

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to say here?

It seems like you are trying to say that people who don’t show support for veterans by purchasing poppies, should realize that there are potential consequences for these actions and that being called out by a hockey analyst on national TV is one consequence? And that further, it doesn’t mean anything because that those same people don’t pay attention to what that analyst says anyway?

If that’s the case, I see a couple of problems with your line of reasoning.

1) Just because someone purchases poppies and wears them doesn’t mean they really give a shit about those veterans. Conversely, people who don’t buy them aren’t necessarily “anti-veteran”. I have purchased poppies consistently over the years, but I never wear them. As another poster did, I typically attach them to something like my car mirror. Does that mean I am less supportive of veterans and should be called out?

2) Right or wrong, Cherry is a public figure and has a pretty big soapbox to stand on. He has used it over the years to get his opinions out there. And while his opinions don’t mean anything to some, I’m sure that they influence others. Being in the position he is gives him opportunities others don’t have, but it also makes him a bigger target. Take the good with the bad.

I’m no French Revolution expert (my son is), but I’m not sure I would compare what happened to Cherry with what happened during that time? Losing one’s job over a controversial comment is slightly less painful than losing one’s head for it.

Reactions: Spooner st and CDJ

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Growing up in the 80s and early 90s, the phrases “that’s Pejorative Slured” and “that’s gay” were synonymous with something that was stupid or undesirable. You don’t really hear that anymore, thankfully, because our society has (believe it or not) evolved.

I don’t care how long Cherry has been saying “you people”, when used in the context that he used it, it’s simply wrong. At times political correctness goes too far but this isn’t one of those times.

He wants to double down and stand by what he said and how he said it? That’s his choice, and he’s suffering the consequences.

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to say here?

It seems like you are trying to say that people who don’t show support for veterans by purchasing poppies, should realize that there are potential consequences for these actions and that being called out by a hockey analyst on national TV is one consequence? And that further, it doesn’t mean anything because that those same people don’t pay attention to what that analyst says anyway?

If that’s the case, I see a couple of problems with your line of reasoning.

1) Just because someone purchases poppies and wears them doesn’t mean they really give a **** about those veterans. Conversely, people who don’t buy them aren’t necessarily “anti-veteran”. I have purchased poppies consistently over the years, but I never wear them. As another poster did, I typically attach them to something like my car mirror. Does that mean I am less supportive of veterans and should be called out?

2) Right or wrong, Cherry is a public figure and has a pretty big soapbox to stand on. He has used it over the years to get his opinions out there. And while his opinions don’t mean anything to some, I’m sure that they influence others. Being in the position he is gives him opportunities others don’t have, but it also makes him a bigger target. Take the good with the bad.

I’m no French Revolution expert (my son is), but I’m not sure I would compare what happened to Cherry with what happened during that time? Losing one’s job over a controversial comment is slightly less painful than losing one’s head for it.
For not understanding my point, you restated exactly correct.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first point. It isn't proof of anything. But regarding your question at the end, would you care if you were called out, despite having bought the poppies? Or, feeling yourself in the right, would you just ignore any criticism?

As for Cherry being a public figure, yes, of course he is. He's also an old person. I give the elderly a lot of leeway and as much respect as I am able. When this stuff happens to local bozos like Callahan, I might raise an eyebrow, but I don't particularly care. When they feel emboldened enough to come for the elderly, they should probably be slapped down before they start doing things we'll all regret.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Alberta has a petition going and already over 20 ,000 signatures for Don.Regardless ,he should have stuck to what he was getting paid to do, Talk hockey. Sportsnet probably happy with the ammo now to shed him.No respect though for Ron MacLean.He could not leave Don alone fast enough( right or wrong) and he would be nothing without Don.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For not understanding my point, you restated exactly correct.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first point. It isn't proof of anything. But regarding your question at the end, would you care if you were called out, despite having bought the poppies? Or, feeling yourself in the right, would you just ignore any criticism?

As for Cherry being a public figure, yes, of course he is. He's also an old person. I give the elderly a lot of leeway and as much respect as I am able. When this stuff happens to local bozos like Callahan, I might raise an eyebrow, but I don't particularly care. When they feel emboldened enough to come for the elderly, they should probably be slapped down before they start doing things we'll all regret.

I couldn’t care less if some guy on the street criticized me for something. I would probably react a little differently if a national icon did it on TV :laugh:

I’m sorry, but this whole “coming for the elderly” schtick you have going on is disingenuous. If Cherry is able-bodied enough to go on national TV and say something, he’s also capable of being held responsible for what he says, regardless of his “advanced” age.

Coming for the elderly? :facepalm:

Reactions: BlackFrancis

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How are people surprised by what he said at this point of his career given it was built entirely on xenophobia? I mean, really? His entire act was based on a hatred towards soft European hockey players that were going to ruin the game, ffs.

I also can separate his dig about immigrants from his point about not respecting the price paid by veterans for the freedoms people are enjoying today. And sure, he made his point very poorly, and with a touch of racist xenophobia, but it was still a true point.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I couldn’t care less if some guy on the street criticized me for something. I would probably react a little differently if a national icon did it on TV :laugh:

I’m sorry, but this whole “coming for the elderly” schtick you have going on is disingenuous. If Cherry is able-bodied enough to go on national TV and say something, he’s also capable of being held responsible for what he says, regardless of his “advanced” age.

You'd take something a talking head on television said more seriously than something someone in your actual life said to you? Do celebrities also influence your voting choices??? :naughty:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Lots of Canadians have no issue with what he said though .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Interesting times.

Teaching US History and Civics, this kind of thing really hits close to home.

my background is poly sci, and I’ve worked a number of campaigns and in public offices.

The kids always want to know where my allegiances lie. I feel like, given my position as an authority figure in the classroom, it would be inappropriate for me to share that.

I had some teachers back in the day who wore it on their sleeve and would indoctrinate the children.

So I’ll say this much, we’ve all got to be true to who we are and what we believe. However, we also have to be aware that there can likely be consequences for what we say and do. So long as you can live with those consequences, do what you do.

You are a public figure. You've done a lot for the community, and the children. If you say something that is misconstrued or it comes out not how you meant it, would that be ok to disregard all you've ever done and fire you and basically ruin your livelihood? Now, this is a far different situation than Cherry, but I would hope an apology from you would suffice as your body of work speaks bigger volumes then something that may have been an accident.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Don Cherry promotes Canada's Veterans day tradition and is fired on Veterans day for trying to bring people into the tradition! At least he had the backbone to stand his ground and not apologize for his belief in honoring his countrymen who fell in battle. Have already cancelled my SportsNet channels .

There are ways to say it and show/educate people about the subject without getting fired. The way he said it was wrong. That's all.

French Canadians (and Europeans) know how how racist/xenophobic he is. The rest of Canada just realized now that he touched the sacro-saint multiculturalism. He can keep yelling at the clouds from his living room from now on, I won't miss him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are a public figure. You've done a lot for the community, and the children. If you say something that is misconstrued or it comes out not how you meant it, would that be ok to disregard all you've ever done and fire you and basically ruin your livelihood? Now, this is a far different situation than Cherry, but I would hope an apology from you would suffice as your body of work speaks bigger volumes then something that may have been an accident.

Have to agree with this Lou. I find his use of "you people come here" offensive, but not nearly as offensive as the cancel culture that prevails in every situation these days. Instead of it being a mistake and a teachable moment for the public and one where the offender can possibly learn and grow from, it becomes an angry mob armed with pitchforks and fire calling for someone to be removed because the mob rule has decided they didn't like what was said.

Scary times to live in, IMO.

Reactions: minpind and BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Lots of Canadians have no issue with what he said though .

Lots apparently do.

I have no issue with Cherry using HNIC to support veterans, but the way Cherry phrased what he said was not right. The fact that “lots of Canadians” have no issue with it is problematic.

Raise your hand if your family is native to North America and were not immigrants at one time.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Have to agree with this Lou. I find his use of "you people come here" offensive, but not nearly as offensive as the cancel culture that prevails in every situation these days. Instead of it being a mistake and a teachable moment for the public and one where the offender can possibly learn and grow from, it becomes an angry mob armed with pitchforks and fire calling for someone to be removed because the mob rule has decided they didn't like what was said.

Scary times to live in, IMO.
Right. How about Rogers bring in someone with a different way of looking at it than how Don said it? Have an open discussion that includes diversity of thought? As you stated, a teachable moment.

Alas no. Social Justice Warriors and Cancel Culture are if you disagree with them then you are silenced, fired and thrown to the wolves.

Very scary times indeed.

Reactions: NMF, BMC and LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad