Sportsnet Don Cherry, a Hockey Institution in Canada, Is Fired After Divisive Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

“Of course it’s always hard but after you have been fired by the Boston Bruins, you can handle anything,” teased Grapes after Rogers Sportsnet tied the can to him for remarks he didn’t say but that people have put in his mouth as if he did.

“On Remembrance Day, of all days,” the 85-year-old Cherry said in an interview.
“I just hope it doesn’t get more coverage than the ceremonies.”

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

“Of course it’s always hard but after you have been fired by the Boston Bruins, you can handle anything,” teased Grapes after Rogers Sportsnet tied the can to him for remarks he didn’t say but that people have put in his mouth as if he did.

LOL playing to his new base, gotta love the old coot.

Reactions: Strafer

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Cherry's sacking has even made the news here in far-away Australia. That's how big a story it is. Sure 'bigoted old white man shouting at clouds' is a favorite staple for our local media, but still it's notable that this event was deemed of significance outside of its immediate surrounds and context.

The moment Cherry said 'you people' he was done for. He can have his opinion on the wearing of poppies, but as soon as he lumped whole, diverse groups of people and individuals into one bunch and condemned and criticised the lot of them indescriminately then it just becomes straight up xenophobic, ignorant stereotyping, whether he intended it to be or not.

You can legitimately have Don's opinion, but you just can't say it the disparaging way he did. I don't know whether it warranted sacking or not, but it was certainly way out of line and had no place being said in that fashion on public media.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I find the “he’s said way worse things” response to be predictable.

Two things at play:

1. Yes, a large bit of the population in the US and Canada is extremely sensitive to things coming out of the mouths of white people. Does it go too far at times? Yes IMO. But perhaps one could call this a simple consequence of increased/adjusted awareness and perspective on our own origins (yes, I am white) in this land. The way Cherry unapologetically spoke, without giving a f*** if what he was saying was discriminatory or ignorant, etc. doesn’t have a place right now. I know he’s an icon. That doesn’t absolve him of the right to use common sense.

2. Yes, he has said “worse things”. But if you get warned at your job for past behavior or comments, they don’t wipe the slate clean after each warning. Your rope gets shorter, the threshold for termination lowers. That’s what happened with Don.

Being a hockey fan, I knew of and occasionally saw Don. But being an American, I didn’t see him as much as Canadian fans. I am genuinely sorry that it had to end like this.

But my short opinion on this: it was time.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Here is a clip from 1987 when Cherry said 'you people' under completely different circumstances - he almost got fired then

This is the way he has always talked

The problem isn't the exact words, although of course they're an instant red rag to large sections of the population and he has to be aware that they now have implicit derogatory connotations, whether intended or not, and if he's not aware then this is one of those cases where I'd argue that ignorance is no excuse.

But really the main issue with his phrasing is the way it collectivises and throws together a diverse group of people for the purposes of tarring and criticizing them all with the same brush. There are just too many unsupported assumptions in what he said - that immigrants can be treated and addressed as one body with the same mentalities and perceived failings, that most immigrants are cheapskates who don't buy and wear poppies and are less likely to than native-born Canadians, that (if true) the fact they don't is a sign that they're ungrateful to have the safety and freedom they enjoy and uncaring of what people in times past have done and sacrificed to maintain it, and that as a result most immigrants are not 'good' Canadians.

In the absence of any real attempt to support them with evidence, you only make assumptions and collective criticisms like that when they reinforce your own prejudices or beliefs and you're willing to group your target as an 'other' different to and usually lesser than you.

If Cherry had simply said "I think more people should wear poppies" or even "I've noticed, in my view, that a lot of recent immigrants in particular don't buy and wear poppies and I think they should as a way of demonstrating their respect", then he'd have been ok. People would still have criticised his opinion, but it couldn't be said that it was inherently ignorant, slanderous or hurtful. Instead he's spoken in a way that openly betrays his prejudices and disparaging view of immigrants and this is the result. As I said, I'm not sure if it's excessive or not, but in this age it's hardly surprising.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I find the “he’s said way worse things” response to be predictable.

Two things at play:

1. Yes, a large bit of the population in the US and Canada is extremely sensitive to things coming out of the mouths of white people. Does it go too far at times? Yes IMO. But perhaps one could call this a simple consequence of increased/adjusted awareness and perspective on our own origins (yes, I am white) in this land. The way Cherry unapologetically spoke, without giving a **** if what he was saying was discriminatory or ignorant, etc. doesn’t have a place right now. I know he’s an icon. That doesn’t absolve him of the right to use common sense.

2. Yes, he has said “worse things”. But if you get warned at your job for past behavior or comments, they don’t wipe the slate clean after each warning. Your rope gets shorter, the threshold for termination lowers. That’s what happened with Don.

Being a hockey fan, I knew of and occasionally saw Don. But being an American, I didn’t see him as much as Canadian fans. I am genuinely sorry that it had to end like this.

But my short opinion on this: it was time.

The sad irony is that Grapes would lose his job over the poppy which is something he has been a champion for

Reactions: bbfan419

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I was in Montreal last week and wanted to buy a poppy and could not find one and finally got one at Centre Bell.

For decades they were sold by older veterans but sadly most of them have passed on.

This is my 2 cents - the issue is more generational than having to do with newcomers to Canada.

They are in pretty much every gas station convienance or hardware store anywhere in western Canada.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I get this. And I know his heart is in the right place. I will always be a fan and will forever be thankful for the things he’s taught me about the game. I appreciate the sport more because of him.

But there is a positive way to promote these values that doesn’t demonize a large faction of his fellow Canadians. This is a line he’s been toeing for decades now and we’re finally in a place where perhaps his stance hasn’t changed, but what people will accept has.

And it’s kinda about time.
This is probably the best analysis of the situation I've seen. I agree it's about time too. He's an institution, and I do get the support so many have been giving him, but it probably has been time for a bit now.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Don Cherry is 85 years old which means as a child he knew WWII and came of age during Korea.

In 2004 he was LIVID when Montreal fans booed the US Anthem in Montreal and this happened

I’ve never “worn” a poppy in my life.

I’d buy them from members of the VFW selling them in front of the Stop & Shop and braid them onto a plastic glow in the dark Rosary I had dangling from my rear view mirror.

As far as booing the National Anthem goes...

Never in my whole life did I hate that team and their fans (take note, PC Police - I didn’t say “those people”) more than that night. I was so infuriated that I wanted to change my name. Had my father not been alive, I might have actually looked into it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’ve never “worn” a poppy in my life.

I’d buy them from members of the VFW selling them in front of the Stop & Shop and braid them onto a plastic glow in the dark Rosary I had dangling from my rear view mirror.

As far as booing the National Anthem goes...

Never in my whole life did I hate that team and their fans (take note, PC Police - I didn’t say “those people”) more than that night.
I was so infuriated that I wanted to change my name. Had my father not been alive, I might have actually looked into it.

BUT in the context of the time, Canadians were furious at the US as the White House refused to acknowledge Canadian soldiers were killed by accident by US forces in Afghanistan.

Cherry 25 years ago was so popular that Canada stopped every Saturday night to hear what came out of his mouth. Even in Quebec, they allowed a Don Cherry exemption from language laws - where if a game was broadcast in both English and French the house sound had to be in French BUT Cherry was allowed.

Personally I think Cherry will be reinstated by Sportsnet as they see ratings gold if they do.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
BUT in the context of the time, Canadians were furious at the US as the White House refused to acknowledge Canadian soldiers were killed by accident by US forces in Afghanistan.

Cherry 25 years ago was so popular that Canada stopped every Saturday night to hear what came out of his mouth. Even in Quebec, they allowed a Don Cherry exemption from language laws - where if a game was broadcast in both English and French the house sound had to be in French BUT Cherry was allowed.

Personally I think Cherry will be reinstated by Sportsnet as they see ratings gold if they do.

I did not know that.

Thank you.

Reactions: CDJ

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I always liked don cherry. This comment I didn’t like. I don’t hate him for it. His opinions are his opinions. But lots of Canadians didn’t like the comments. So sport net had no choice. It was a business move. I don’t think he should be saying stuff like this during a hockey commentary show.
Got some stats to back up that comment? Lots of Canadians? I doubt it!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well I came here expecting to read something actually offensive, never personally cared for Cherry or his shtick.

But...If that is the full quote, then wow, I guess it’s just another example of someone losing their job in the age of outrage.

Again if that’s the full quote, there isn’t a single racist thing about it. It’s nationalistic, but in my opinion a valid contextual comment to make

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Cherry's sacking has even made the news here in far-away Australia. That's how big a story it is. Sure 'bigoted old white man shouting at clouds' is a favorite staple for our local media, but still it's notable that this event was deemed of significance outside of its immediate surrounds and context.

The moment Cherry said 'you people' he was done for. He can have his opinion on the wearing of poppies, but as soon as he lumped whole, diverse groups of people and individuals into one bunch and condemned and criticised the lot of them indescriminately then it just becomes straight up xenophobic, ignorant stereotyping, whether he intended it to be or not.

You can legitimately have Don's opinion, but you just can't say it the disparaging way he did. I don't know whether it warranted sacking or not, but it was certainly way out of line and had no place being said in that fashion on public media.
How is 'you people' to be taken? It seems so vague to me!

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
"You people" didn't get him canned.

It was "You people that come here" that got him canned, since it made it seem that he was singling out immigrants.

"You people" by itself is sufficiently vague that it would include all Canadians -- recent immigrants and otherwise.

And it would have blown over like a normal Grapes rant.

I get what he was trying to say, but there are also better ways to support Veterans than "buying a Poppy". Increase federal (?) spending on vets, donate directly to veterans organizations, etc.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
there was a time when you would see almost everyone wearing a poppy come this time of year, now we see less and less. It saddens people like Don and others including myself. Is because of the reasons he mentioned? I don't think so.

Exactly. There's actually a very good point to be made about the decline in poppy-wearing on 11/11, and why it matters that people should still wear them or otherwise commemorate the fallen on that day. I think Cherry's heart was in the right place in terms of his message on that issue. But he went about it completely the wrong way, singling out only sector of the population as being at fault and criticising them, rather than making a plea for all Canadians to unite and make more of an effort in remembrance. A real shame.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
"You people" didn't get him canned.

It was "You people that come here" that got him canned, since it made it seem that he was singling out immigrants.

"You people" by itself is sufficiently vague that it would include all Canadians -- recent immigrants and otherwise.

And it would have blown over like a normal Grapes rant.

I get what he was trying to say, but there are also better ways to support Veterans than "buying a Poppy". Increase federal (?) spending on vets, donate directly to veterans organizations, etc.

That's what I meant - "you people" in the context of what came after clearly was referring to immigrants, singling them out as being solely or at least largely at fault.

"You people" as a way of collectivizing into one body what are actually diverse groups of people, denying their differences and individuality.

"You people" as a means of othering, demonstrating that they are different from the speaker, people who don't quite fit in, not 'real' Canadians.

"You people" as a way of stereotyping, arguing that all those people are the same, have the same faults and can be criticized as one group.

"You people", all these ungrateful, unassimilated newcomers who take advantage of our benefits and way of life but don't do anything to show their thanks and respect for those who made it possible, people who are damaging our traditions.

I'm told that Cherry's used "you people" a lot over the years and I'm sure it's true. But this was one "you people" too many, picking and demonizing a target that is no longer fair game in that manner, and making a claim that was not only abrasive and hurtful but all the worse for missing the mark as to the real reasons poppy wearing is declining.

He had a fair point to make, but he slipped over his own prejudice in making it, and this time it's cost him his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad