Sportsnet Don Cherry, a Hockey Institution in Canada, Is Fired After Divisive Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Don represented SportsNet. Not himself. Complaints to the CTRC that regulate broadcasting forced Sportnets' hand, and in turn, forced Ron and Don's hand.

Ron apologized and has a job

Don did not and is unemployed

It is as simple as that.

This is not a free speech issue, it is an employee (Don was a broadcaster) that represents a company (Sportsnet) saying something on-air, breaking rules set by the governing body (CRTC) and refused to walk it back and was shown the door because of it.

Period.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
This thread has been relatively civil and accommodating of differing opinions. Please don't turn this into the hot take **** show that is going on in the main board thread.

.....What did he say that you're upset about? He's saying a business made a business decision after deciding the fallout from firing an employee who said something offensive was the better option than keeping him employed. And he's not only right, no one - not a single person - is defending Sportsnet handling of this.

There are some in here screaming about "leftists" and "woke culture" but that's the post you think is a hot take shit show? Please.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
This thread has been relatively civil and accommodating of differing opinions. Please don't turn this into the hot take **** show that is going on in the main board thread.

There have been plenty of hot takes not made by me in this thread and Lou is someone I consider a friend. Not sure you're barking up the right tree here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
.....What did he say that you're upset about? He's saying a business made a business decision after deciding the fallout from firing an employee who said something offensive was the better option than keeping him employed. And he's not only right, no one - not a single person - is defending Sportsnet handling of this.

There are some in here screaming about "leftists" and "woke culture" but that's the post you think is a hot take **** show? Please.

Again I'm old...I'm guessing "woke" means ya'll better pay attention?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Don represented SportsNet. Not himself. Complaints to the CTRC that regulate broadcasting forced Sportnets' hand, and in turn, forced Ron and Don's hand.

Ron apologized and has a job

Don did not and is unemployed

It is as simple as that.

This is not a free speech issue, it is an employee (Don was a broadcaster) that represents a company (Sportsnet) saying something on-air, breaking rules set by the governing body (CRTC) and refused to walk it back and was shown the door because of it.

Period.

Agree. We all have to do things we don't want to do. He could have apologized and kept his job.

I am anti military I think way too much is wasted on it and don't think any wars fought since WW2 were justified but I'll stand for the veterans shown on the jumbotron at every stoppage in play tonight. I won't go to jail for these views but they could get me fired from a job if I didn't keep them to myself.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

There are some in here screaming about "leftists" and "woke culture" but that's the post you think is a hot take **** show? Please.

It's more the gloating and LOL, at the expense of other posts. I apologize if I offended you. Please let me keep my job!

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Usually when people say this around me, I'll ask, "Why do you care exactly?", the answer to that question answers your other question for me, usually when combined with "how do you know that they aren't taking the time?"

The better question should be with things like this, Are you taking the two seconds to put yourself in that person's shoe's before making your comment? Did Don Cherry in this case? Also put it along these lines. Say you wanted an immigrant to assimilate (crappy term but here we are), what better way than watching HNIC. But rather than creating an inclusive environment that everyone can enjoy a flipping sport, you have a clown talking down to folks about taking the country they moved to for granted. Is that going to make that viewer more or less likely to assimilate? Is that going to make that viewer more or less likely to tune into Sportsnet?

Gonna share this yet again.

Basu: Don Cherry was always a problem. Why it took Canada so...

Reactions: CDJ

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Again I'm old...I'm guessing "woke" means ya'll better pay attention?

"Woke" usually refers to someone with progressive views, though depending on who is using the term it can be a sarcastic insult or a genuine way to describe a general attitude.

Maybe that definition sucks, I don't know. These terms aren't always super easy to define.

Reactions: LouJersey

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Agree. We all have to do things we don't want to do. He could have apologized and kept his job.

I am anti military I think way too much is wasted on it and don't think any wars fought since WW2 were justified but I'll stand for the veterans shown on the jumbotron at every stoppage in play tonight. I won't go to jail for these views but they could get me fired from a job if I didn't keep them to myself.

I'm the same, anti war all the way but I respect his admiration and support of the armed forces. I tune in for Don's hockey analysis and highlights which are some of the best in the business. I think he'll be back on another show to give more hockey takes

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Great example about the bars and stars. Most of the time, people don't mean it the way it comes off, yet it is a very racist symbol given the history. Walpole High used to have it as part of their team logo and removed it a few years ago. Some long term townie that lives behind the field didn't like that they stripped it off the logo so he painted a giant bars and stars sign and put it up literally over the field. Was the only thing you could see. I believe that ended up with some legal stuff going on over it, but it's crazy again how far people will go if they don't want to change.
At the same time...

I went to Charleston a couple years ago and did a tour of Fort Sumter. Pretty historic event. At the gift shop I bought a tshirt that on the back of it has a 2 soldiers face to face, one carrying the USA flag and the other the CSA flag. I had someone in public accuse me of wearing a white nationalist shirt.

I mean, the Civil War did happen, and there were 2 sides involved and each had a flag. There's a point where people go from actually being offended to pretending to be IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I find this funny considering who they just re-elected. If you're gonna come down on one person for something than do the same for the other. Tired of this pick and choosey ****.

Now that’s definitely a fair gripe, however at least the Prime Minister apologized. And honestly if Don had done that he would still have a job

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I find this funny considering who they just re-elected. If you're gonna come down on one person for something than do the same for the other. Tired of this pick and choosey ****.

You must have missed all the people roasting Trudeau over his blackface crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad