Sportsnet Don Cherry, a Hockey Institution in Canada, Is Fired After Divisive Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I once saw a guy at McDonald’s ask people to speak English it was ugly and divisive. I don’t know if it’s racist to want it, but it seems it becomes racist very fast when a person presses for that desire in any way other than offering to teach English to immigrants.

Bullying is never ok. I didn't mean it like that, those people are flat out a holes. I meant someone that has an opinion all immigrants should learn how to speak the language. I don't think that makes them a racist. To me, I don't care, I actually am around Syrians and Palestinians, along with Iranians and Saudi Arabians twice a month and I actually try to learn words to help communicate. To me, they have enough stress already, I'm certainly not going to pass judgement or add to it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Don was a guest on Tucker Carlson tonight. (Said Bobby Orr’s a big Tucker fan, btw) Said he probably should’ve said “everybody” rather than “you people”.

This is country vs city. Loss for Canada.

If Canada doesn’t want him, give him to us.

it was tough to watch, he looks upset and regretful about what's happened.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't have an issue with Cherry's comments about being patriotic.

I do think using a hockey related broadcast is the wrong venue to show off your belief system, but I don't find anything wrong or inflammatory with what he said.

I have zero issue with Cherry being “patriotic” and wanting people to show more support for veterans. I think it’s a big problem in this country as well.

I do have an issue with the way he went about it and the language he used. I think it was both “wrong” (or at the very least extremely misguided) and inflammatory (which is his schtick anyway).

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Bullying is never ok. I didn't mean it like that, those people are flat out a holes. I meant someone that has an opinion all immigrants should learn how to speak the language. I don't think that makes them a racist. To me, I don't care, I actually am around Syrians and Palestinians, along with Iranians and Saudi Arabians twice a month and I actually try to learn words to help communicate. To me, they have enough stress already, I'm certainly not going to pass judgement or add to it.
I hear you and I believe you. When I was responding I did not want it to sound like I was putting you into that bully category for believing in a philosophy. I almost didn’t respond for fear that you and others might think I was trying to judge.

Philosophically I do believe that it is best to assimilate to your local circles. When in Rome do as the romans do. This helps to make the world turn more smoothly and should never require anyone to abandon there own morals. There is a fine line there but the world is a better place when people extend themselves as you have in learning some Arabic. It also helps when we are able to have these respectful conversations. It’s nice that we can do this here as I am no longer able to discuss these things with family or friends in the current environment with out risking relationships.

Reactions: LouJersey

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This was interesting:

A lot of people calling for an apology or a firing. I’m sure many are “pro-Cherry” people with an axe to grind.

That’s not me, but I’m having a hard time seeing the difference between what she said and what Cherry said.

She's just another person who can't fathom the existence of anyone who doesn't think exactly like her and wants them to leave the planet

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This was interesting:

A lot of people calling for an apology or a firing. I’m sure many are “pro-Cherry” people with an axe to grind.

That’s not me, but I’m having a hard time seeing the difference between what she said and what Cherry said.

Because there is no difference.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
This was interesting:

I wouldn't want this person to be fired or to be coerced to apologize either. Networks/sponsorships need to stay away from knee jerk reactions directly resulting from social media and these tyrannical social interest groups; boycotts seldom come to fruition.

Reactions: BNHL and Chief Nine

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He didn't lose his job over it though, Canada re-elected him.

The blackface thing was like 20 years ago and he apologized for it. It also helps that many people thought his opponent was far more regressive. So yeah, it's more complicated than the Cherry situation and not at all analogous.

Reactions: Spooner st

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
She's just another person who can't fathom the existence of anyone who doesn't think exactly like her and wants them to leave the planet

Weren't her comments specifically about [eople who don't think like her? Also, as someone who grew up in small-town Alberta surrounded by Hockey Guys, I can't say she's actually wrong.

Because there is no difference.

Don Cherry generalized about immigrants. This woman talked about a certain type of person who plays hockey. She didn't suggest all people who play hockey are like that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I hear you and I believe you. When I was responding I did not want it to sound like I was putting you into that bully category for believing in a philosophy. I almost didn’t respond for fear that you and others might think I was trying to judge.

Philosophically I do believe that it is best to assimilate to your local circles. When in Rome do as the romans do. This helps to make the world turn more smoothly and should never require anyone to abandon there own morals. There is a fine line there but the world is a better place when people extend themselves as you have in learning some Arabic. It also helps when we are able to have these respectful conversations. It’s nice that we can do this here as I am no longer able to discuss these things with family or friends in the current environment with out risking relationships.

No I didn't take it that way at all. Nice post here. You sound like a level headed and kind person.

My thoughts now, at fifty years old is I try to make all my interactions positive with people, especially those with a language barrier. It's not for me to judge who does what, I believe that's for someone else. I do know that in my dealings with the nationalities I spoke about I am probably their only exposure to a person of my race and culture and I damn well want to make them feel comfortable and give them a good impression of what not only the country can offer but the people that live in it. A positive interaction will maybe spur them on to learn even more about their new country, and I am certainly not going to make them feel afraid or inferior or that I am treating them with some kind of preconceived notion. a little kindness goes a long way, I've seen it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This was interesting:

I think this is another case of someone being more of a "social idiot" than racist, and I would put Cherry in that same group.

That being said, the bar does continually change with who and what should be or get you fired. This would seem to fit the criteria.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He didn't lose his job over it though, Canada re-elected him.

he did, I didn`t vote for him but it wasn`t based on his actions from a few decades ago although I will say, he came out almost immediately and denounced his behavior and IMO, did so genuinely saying it is never acceptable regardless of the era it was done in

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Weren't her comments specifically about [eople who don't think like her? Also, as someone who grew up in small-town Alberta surrounded by Hockey Guys, I can't say she's actually wrong.

Don Cherry generalized about immigrants. This woman talked about a certain type of person who plays hockey. She didn't suggest all people who play hockey are like that.

And?

I grew up around some jocks who were jerks too.

Doesn't mean they're all jerks. You're painting with a broad brush just like she did.

She totally generalized and used the term "white boy" which frankly is a derogatory term.

It's segregating a group and isolating them which ironically is what people who are supposedly about fairness and inclusion are always railing against. So why is it OK for her to slur people she doesn't like or agree with and call them names and put them into a category that should be scorned in her opinion?

See how this works?

This is a "You people" moment as well.

And Don Cherry did not generalize about immigrants. He's even come out and said he should have said "all of you". I think everyone can agree that his choice of words were poor which led to assumptions that he has clarified as not being true.

Taking this any farther and saying that Cherry is covering up is beyond what reasonable people should assume because then you'd be pretending to know what's in his mind

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
And?

I grew up around some jocks who were jerks too.

Doesn't mean they're all jerks. You're painting with a broad brush just like she did.

She's not painting with a broad brush at all. Unlike Cherry, she's being extremely specific about who she's talking about. It's apples and oranges.

She totally generalized and used the term "white boy" which frankly is a derogatory term.

giphy.gif

It's segregating a group and isolating them which ironically is what people who are supposedly about fairness and inclusion are always railing against. So why is it OK for her to slur people she doesn't like or agree with and call them names and put them into a category that should be scorned in her opinion?

See how this works?

I see how it works: you're trying to create an equivalency where there is none so you can have your own "gotcha!" moment.

This is a "You people" moment as well.

Cherry: "You people"
Allen: "entitled rich white boys"

Which is a generalization and which is specific?

And Don Cherry did not generalize about immigrants. He's even come out and said he should have said "all of you". I think everyone can agree that his choice of words were poor which led to assumptions that he has clarified as not being true.

Taking this any farther and saying that Cherry is covering up is beyond what reasonable people should assume because then you'd be pretending to know what's in his mind

His initial comments, the ones that got him fired, could only be read as a generalization about immigrants. If you want to buy his backtracking or clarification, whatever you chose to call it, requires you ignore everything we know about Don Cherry and his views.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
She's not painting with a broad brush at all. Unlike Cherry, she's being extremely specific about who she's talking about. It's apples and oranges.

giphy.gif

I see how it works: you're trying to create an equivalency where there is none so you can have your own "gotcha!" moment.

Cherry: "You people"
Allen: "entitled rich white boys"

Which is a generalization and which is specific?

His initial comments, the ones that got him fired, could only be read as a generalization about immigrants. If you want to buy his backtracking or clarification, whatever you chose to call it, requires you ignore everything we know about Don Cherry and his views.

So if Cherry just said "immigrants from Croatia" he would have been fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad