Confirmed with Link: Dominik Uher receives QO, 7 other players will become UFAs including Justin Schultz

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Was reading somewhere that Schultz wants to stay. Can't remember where it was though. I think they come to a new contact before July 1.

I remember him saying something to the effect that he liked playing in Pittsburgh a lot more than Edmonton (warmer + playing in the playoffs), but I wouldn't be surprised if he made the gratuitous, "I'd like to stay here" statement that a lot of pending UFAs make.

I kind of hope he stays at a reasonable price. If he and Lovejoy go, and assuming Daley comes back at 100%, then presumably DP steps in, and I'm not completely sold that he has more upside than Schultz.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I thought that they have to wait until the market opens up now? They can talk, but nothing can be signed until July 1st. I may be off on this one though.
You can re-sign your own guys before Friday. Pens brought back Erixon the other day.

As for Schultz, they'd probably need to trade off someone else to have cap space to sign him.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You can re-sign your own guys before Friday. Pens brought back Erixon the other day.

As for Schultz, they'd probably need to trade off someone else to have cap space to sign him.

Gotcha.

I was under the impression that once you passed the QO deadline without getting one, you were unable to sign until the UFA period opened July 1st.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I thought we had until the end of training camp to get under the cap, but I haven't kept up with the CBA changes.

I mean, ideally, you get rid of guys to get cap space before you go signing UFAs, but people move a lot of players July 1st or 2nd to make room for new acquisitions. If Schultz is the guy, you sign him and worry about the cap space over the next few months, IMO.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea it's 10% I think. So technically 7.3 mil to play with if they want.

It's probably hell trying to clear space, though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought we had until the end of training camp to get under the cap, but I haven't kept up with the CBA changes.

I mean, ideally, you get rid of guys to get cap space before you go signing UFAs, but people move a lot of players July 1st or 2nd to make room for new acquisitions. If Schultz is the guy, you sign him and worry about the cap space over the next few months, IMO.

We do. You can exceed cap by 10% in the summer so if you are sure you want to sign Schultz, you can make it happen, but don't want to be stuck with someone you can't move.

Since Duper will be on LTIR, the Pens should be getting as close to 76.75MM as possible just before the season and then put Duper on LTIR to bring the effective amount of the cap to 73MM.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Schultz isn't going to "get paid" lol

He still has a lot to prove if that's going to happen. The smartest thing he could do is sign a 2-3 year deal here for 3mil, play on a team that will allow him to play to his strengths (doing whatever he wants offensively) - as well as a team with terrible defensive depth (playing time). Then cash in on his next deal.

Think about what you're saying - Ian Cole plays a bottom pairing role, just like Schultz has, and he makes 2 million per season.

Schultz is probably getting 3-4 million, and he has been a bottom pairing defenseman. He's going to get paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad