Confirmed with Link: Dominik Uher receives QO, 7 other players will become UFAs including Justin Schultz

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Not Tyler Biggs! What're we gonna do without his size and toughness! :laugh:

Wish we could've hung on to Schultz. I have a feeling he has a lot more to show than what Edmonton, or even we saw. He's probably just gonna cost way too much.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Not Tyler Biggs! What're we gonna do without his size and toughness! :laugh:

Wish we could've hung on to Schultz. I have a feeling he has a lot more to show than what Edmonton, or even we saw. He's probably just gonna cost way too much.

He isn't gone yet, he's just not getting 3.9M. I think it's better than 50-50 he stays.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He isn't gone yet, he's just not getting 3.9M. I think it's better than 50-50 he stays.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone threw money at the potential they saw from him in flashes during the playoffs. Surely he'll find more money elsewhere.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think it's about 90-10 that he leaves, and that's being optimistic. Not only thanks to the tight cap, but take a look at the market. With lots of teams looking for puck movers, and Goligoski and Yandle off the table, outside of Brian Campbell (who's old) Schultz is probably the best guy available.

Edit: Something I was thinking of last night though was qualifying Schultz and trading his rights. Sure, the team that got him would be on the hook for him for ~$4 million, but if you aren't up against the cap and you're on the hunt an offensive guy back there (like say, the Bruins or Rangers), it's not that much to take on for only the one year. All academic now, of course.

Last edited:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Other than Schultz, the players were either leftovers from Shero or throw-ins with the Kessel trade.

I totally understand why they didn't qualify any of those guys (I pretty much expected it, even), but I was surprised to see just how few contracts that left the Pens with for next season. It's far more typical for them to start the season with around 45-48 contracts, so 36 is abnormal.

I'm kind of hoping they fill some of those spots with undrafted prospects, though. But I'm expecting them to be filled with journeymen AHLers (i.e., guys like Oleksy or Mouillerat).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not gonna lie, I'm sad for Zlobin.

Yep. It wasn't just the name.

Plus, with actual shots who knows. Not every player has to have defensive pedigree.

He was a goal scorer with good hands.

It's not the worst thing in the world to happen, but considering for how long they went without guys who could score seems curious not to at least get a chance. (Kids were not in favor over vets anyways)

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Schultz isn't going to "get paid" lol

He still has a lot to prove if that's going to happen. The smartest thing he could do is sign a 2-3 year deal here for 3mil, play on a team that will allow him to play to his strengths (doing whatever he wants offensively) - as well as a team with terrible defensive depth (playing time). Then cash in on his next deal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'll be interested to see what Schultz gets. I don't think the stench from the way he played in Edmonton is off of him yet. He came here and played well but it was a very sheltered role. It's not like he put anything on tape that showed another team he's a top 4 D-Man that they should pay big money to. He's still a bottom pairing guy that can play the PP. I guess a team desperate for a PP D-Man may be willing to pay him decent cash. Hard to tell.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I remember them qualifying Riley Holzapfel when he went to Europe too, that might just be the team's protocol when younger guys go overseas.

It's almost automatic. It's a just in case move to protect your ass in case he breaks out and/or becomes an asset somehow.

If he doesn't come back then, well...nothing gained and nothing lost.
If he does come back then we'd have his rights. I doubt Uher comes back, but stranger things have happened and I don't think he's that far from being a NHL caliber player.

The only surprise in all of this for me was that Erixon re-signed, rather than going to Europe himself...but even that isn't terribly surprising given that he's likely only an injury away from a call-up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He still has a lot to prove if that's going to happen. The smartest thing he could do is sign a 2-3 year deal here for 3mil, play on a team that will allow him to play to his strengths (doing whatever he wants offensively) - as well as a team with terrible defensive depth (playing time). Then cash in on his next deal.

Do you mean 3m a year or 3m overall?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I assume you mean 3 million total. That would seem about right. But never underestimate the ability of one of 30 teams to overpay.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I would be surprised if someone overpaid him badly. Those GMs were all watching and I don't think anyone had the idea that Schultz somehow was a huge difference-maker for us. He's still in the "proving himself in a new town" phase of evaluation. He got his change of scenery but hasn't shown fully yet that he can be the kind of player people expected back when he started with EDM.

I give him a 50/50 shot of remaining here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would be surprised if someone overpaid him badly. Those GMs were all watching and I don't think anyone had the idea that Schultz somehow was a huge difference-maker for us. He's still in the "proving himself in a new town" phase of evaluation. He got his change of scenery but hasn't shown fully yet that he can be the kind of player people expected back when he started with EDM.

I give him a 50/50 shot of remaining here.

Depends on how much he wants. Even if teams don't think he's quite at the level of a top 4 guy, they'd still toss $2 to $2.5 million at him as a #5 who can play some PP minutes.

And because of the Fleury situation, the Pens won't have that kind of cap space to match even that amount.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
It takes up a contract spot does it not? Why use it up for the sake of using it up? I liked Uher but the guy has fallen so far down the depth chart, it's a pointless thing to even do, but oh well.

I think we are really low on contracts. We will sign a few AHL depth guys. But i thought i read we were under 40 atm.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
It takes up a contract spot does it not? Why use it up for the sake of using it up? I liked Uher but the guy has fallen so far down the depth chart, it's a pointless thing to even do, but oh well.

It doesn't take a contract spot. It takes a spot on the 90 man reserve list, of which there is always space. Uher wasn't that far down the depth chart, he just got injured. He was above Kuhnhackl to start the year on the depth chart. It just protects the Penguins if he wants to come back over to the NHL.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Was reading somewhere that Schultz wants to stay. Can't remember where it was though. I think they come to a new contact before July 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad