Prospect Info: Dominik Simon (Center | HC Plzeň (ELH) | 5th round, 137th overall)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
CIhaCDiXAAAbUAZ.png

simon-1.jpg

simon-2.jpg

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
He played with Nick Johnson last season, so no doubt JB will get his rolodex out again for some quotes.

EDIT: Nope, wrong Nick Johnson. Blame JB, I got it from his blog post.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
18 goals in the CEL is pretty good even for a 20 year old. Played in the WJCs a year ago. He's already passed through 3 drafts. I'm wondering if he comes over to the AHL right away, though it looks like he's under contract with Plzen still. I think I have some 2014 WJC games recorded, I'll see if I can find a Czech game.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
He played with Nick Johnson last season, so no doubt JB will get his rolodex out again for some quotes.
You have to admit, that Stephen Dixon **** earlier this week for the Plotnikov story was pretty impressive/hilarious.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Probably what he's best known for -- the shootout goal to beat Canada two WJC's ago:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Found this one. Czech league play this season.
ETA: Video works. Just hit play.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Tomas Hertl was benched 3-4 times because of his surprisingly good play in the WCs. His nomination to the Czech mens squad was quite a shocker but he certainly justified it with his play. Can´t say more about him because that was the only tournament I saw him playing but he stood out to me. Poise, energy and some skill are there.

If he comes overseas, he should immediately be able to play a prominent role in the WBS, maybe some occasional callup as well.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
18 goals in the CEL is pretty good even for a 20 year old. Played in the WJCs a year ago. He's already passed through 3 drafts. I'm wondering if he comes over to the AHL right away, though it looks like he's under contract with Plzen still. I think I have some 2014 WJC games recorded, I'll see if I can find a Czech game.

I dont know how the transfer agreement works there. In sweden there is an out clasue even if you have time left on the contract for example.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Tomas Hertl was benched 3-4 times because of his surprisingly good play in the WCs. His nomination to the Czech mens squad was quite a shocker but he certainly justified it with his play. Can´t say more about him because that was the only tournament I saw him playing but he stood out to me. Poise, energy and some skill are there.

If he comes overseas, he should immediately be able to play a prominent role in the WBS, maybe some occasional callup as well.

Hele, cože o Hertlovi, čéče? :D

I haven't seen Símon at all this last year, but I saw him a bit when he was still on HC Sparta. Solid swing for the fences kinda pick, will probabably need some time in WB/S if he ever comes over, but there's definitely some potential there.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I dont know how the transfer agreement works there. In sweden there is an out clasue even if you have time left on the contract for example.

I'm pretty sure the transfer agreement is the same in the Czech Republic as it is in Sweden.

I was going to say it's worth noting that his junior rights are held by Rimouski, but I forgot that he was already 20 so...yeah. He could play for WBS this year if that's the route the Penguins want to go. I wouldn't be surprised if he does spend one more year with Plzen, though, if only to save the ELC year. He's already playing with men in a decent league, so that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen by any stretch.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd let him stay and play a bigger role there before he comes over, he's already fairly good for that league, if he can get stronger and work on all facets of his game, then come over - Perfect.

I am curious about Sullivan as a WBS coach and developmental wise, I kind of want to see what he does with the current crop before he does anything with the new kids (all of which, are not in bad situations AT ALL so no need to rush).

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
My brother and I tracked some numbers for the Czech republic during the WHC. Dominik Simon was top 5 in Corsi for team CZE in Prague (62,3%). Only Jakub Voracek (64,91%) was better among the forwards (btw. Jagr with 60,9%).

His 5v5 PTS/60 was the best among the CZE players - 3,8 PTS/60min (Jagr 2,0). Considering he played mostly as 4th line wing (avg 10 min per game), those are great numbers.

We also tracked controlled zone entries (Simon with 61%, Voracek 73%, Jagr 66%).

His agent (Michal Sivek btw.) said they'll make a decision after the NHL draft.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
My brother and I tracked some numbers for the Czech republic during the WHC. Dominik Simon was top 5 in Corsi for team CZE in Prague (62,3%). Only Jakub Voracek (64,91%) was better among the forwards (btw. Jagr with 60,9%).

His 5v5 PTS/60 was the best among the CZE players - 3,8 PTS/60min (Jagr 2,0). Considering he played mostly as 4th line wing (avg 10 min per game), those are great numbers.

We also tracked controlled zone entries (Simon with 61%, Voracek 73%, Jagr 66%).

Very insightful, thanks for the data brah.

...and yes, those are indeed, great numbers.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Impressive work by you and your bro. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad