Rumor: Dominik Kahun to the Blackhawks

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Surprised there is no thread about this.

A big german (reliable) newspaper reported almost a week ago, that German forward Dominik Kahun is likely to play in Chicago next season. The trade can't be announced/signed officially until after the season though.

10 NHL teams had interest and apparently Chicago is his choice. 2-year contract.

Link to Sueddeutsche Newspaper:
Erst Olympia-Silber, nun NHL

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Surprised there is no thread about this.

A big german (reliable) newspaper reported almost a week ago, that German forward Dominik Kahun is likely to play in Chicago next season. The trade can't be announced/signed officially until after the season though.

10 NHL teams had interest and apparently Chicago is his choice. 2-year contract.

Link to Sueddeutsche Newspaper:
Erst Olympia-Silber, nun NHL
Judging by your name I don't know if I find this credible.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Interesting. If he's legit, hopefully we can move AA for a D-man.

Saad-Toews-Hinostroza
Sikura-Schmaltz-Kane
Debrincat-Kahun-Hayden
Jurco-Kampf-Duclair

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
I am very high on Kahun since a couple years and am actually surprised it took him this long to get a NHL contract.

His stickhandling is as good as Draisaitl's imo. Unfortunately he doesn't have the same frame.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
So, what kind of a player is he?
Kahun plays Center most of the time and has excellent skating, vision and stickhandling. These things are not only notable in DEL games, but also in international games for Germany. One of the few players there, that put up points regularly.

He is on the smaller side with 5'11".

I don't know that much about his defensive game to be honest.

Here is a video where he went 3/3 in a penalty shootout (hope you can see it from other countries):
Dominik Kahun im Penalty-Rausch

Reactions: Vancouver Canucks

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

The credibility is the News Paper, its a bigger newspaper with serious reputation in every factor. Put it in the Numbers like the Washington Post, for any world wide news. SZ is a state near Newspaper.
But for you i will ask german Hockeynews if they can confirm it.
Also kahun played his junior Years in north Amerika, and prior junior Day with Draisaitl.

After his juniour Days in the NHL, most Teams pass on him about his Bodyframe. Mean not the right weight for his Body, but he worked on the Point in the Years playing in german and international Games. Mostly one of the better German national Players, also playing mostly with Draisaitl in one Line for the national Team.

KA-HUN! Im Alleingang zum 3:1 für Deutschland

Player type good skater, has a good wrist shot. I expect that he signed a 2-Way contract as usual. But i will ask about it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The credibility is the News Paper, its a bigger newspaper with serious reputation in every factor. Put it in the Numbers like the Washington Post, for any world wide news. SZ is a state near Newspaper.
But for you i will ask german Hockeynews if they can confirm it.
Also kahun played his junior Years in north Amerika, and prior junior Day with Draisaitl.

After his juniour Days in the NHL, most Teams pass on him about his Bodyframe. Mean not the right weight for his Body, but he worked on the Point in the Years playing in german and international Games. Mostly one of the better German national Players, also playing mostly with Draisaitl in one Line for the national Team.

KA-HUN! Im Alleingang zum 3:1 für Deutschland

Player type good skater, has a good wrist shot. I expect that he signed a 2-Way contract as usual. But i will ask about it.
He wasn’t questioning the newspaper...

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Interesting. If he's legit, hopefully we can move AA for a D-man.

Saad-Toews-Hinostroza
Sikura-Schmaltz-Kane
Debrincat-Kahun-Hayden
Jurco-Kampf-Duclair
Would you retain on AA? Carlson from the CBJ was ready to move up this year but we are over loaded. Like 9 NHL caliber D right now haha. He's 20 or 21 maybe. Ready to step into imo top 4 minutes. He is a LHD but played the right a lot because the CBJ only have 2 RHD and he did not have trouble at all. He was taken I want to say #28 in 2015. Defensive minded.

So AA retained for Carlson? Maybe a 2nd prospect with him like a kppe Sherwood or Bittner?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I really doubt he would sign a 2way contract tbh, unless you mean with guaranteed NHL salary.
He probably makes a decent coin playing for Munich.

I dont know what he earns in Munich, but when you have a Chance to go over the Ocean you take it. I mean the most German Player comeing first Time in sign 2 Way Contract. Mostly ending up in the AHL and even the AHL level is higher then DEL. So when he cares that much about payment he better stay in Munich.

There will no granted NHL place i would wonder if a NHL Team would take that high risk. What is the lowest payment for an NHL entry 750k 850k believe me he doesnt earn that in German.

When you look where Tiffels current ended up as even a drafted NHL Player, there is no Chance for an 1 Way contract. Also Wolf signed a 2 Way contract getting over the Ocean. Only Draisaitl, Rieder, Kühnhackl who was drafted in the NHL have Chances for 1 Way contract. Oh but even all off them more likely played in the AHL and those one of the best for younger german Hockey Generation,

I expect nothing else then a 2-Way Contract, he should be happy enought to get over the Ocean and then put all his effort in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It is, EP is also reporting it as a substantial rumour. Lucky for Blackhawks, watched him quite a bit in the DEL and he's a legitimate prospect however he might need some seasoning in the AHL first. Always thought he should've been drafted, but seems he was under the required frame for NHL scouts when he was at Sudbury.

Reactions: GermanPanther

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Kahun is like 2-3 tiers above Tiffels and Wolf. Yes, I am serious...

I wouldn't be surprised if Kahun earns around 400k a year in Germany. Not many players would give that up and risk earning 70k in the AHL.

Red Bull Munich really is in a different tier salary-wise.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

I wouldn't be surprised if Kahun earns around 400k a year in Germany. Not many players would give that up and risk earning 70k in the AHL.

Okay, but you dont even mention a second that is OHL numbers was not great he wasn´t even drafted. And all other german NHL Players played AHL befor. And here in german there is no serious competition. Hello im 20km from munich away, i know what german league pays. they pay him 100-300.000 some Ex AHL get some more money is the usual Payment. Maybe same Stars get up to 600-800.000 but that for player like Pinezotto.

Its not im not from german and dont know what im talking about. Maybe 25 Years into Hockey. So im always open for the discussion.

By the Way in florida there is a Player called Maxim Mammin, who played 3 Years in the KHL joined us in the Age of 23 and he was drafted. But he in the matter he played Years on europen Ice, he first joined the AHL Team and prove himself and stay now in the NHL. He had not the greatest Numbers in the KHl but you cant compare DEL and KHL. Also that doesnt matter the fact is it was an entry Level Contract signing because he was drafted and ket 745k a year on a 2 Way contract.

The Age, Years playing in europe, including international Game its all simular.
I forgot the Contract of mamin has the europen outgoing clause, if he doesnt make the main team he can go back into the KHL, he decided to stay and play AHL and Kahun should be aware of that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I really doubt he would sign a 2way contract tbh, unless you mean with guaranteed NHL salary.
He probably makes a decent coin playing for Munich.

If he signs an NHL contract it has to be an ELC which has to be a 2 way contract.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's been more than a week, probably started being said early March but his postseason has still been going on. It was talked about on the hawks board but no new data comes up.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Completely agree. He would easily have stayed in Europe and made more money than moving to the USA with his family. Making 70k? In the AHL? Cmon man. Lets be realistic here. Dude would be living in a crappy apartment besides living in a nice house in Munich.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If he signs an NHL contract it has to be an ELC which has to be a 2 way contract.

He wouldn’t come to the USA for a crappy AHL contract I’ll tell you that much. So Hawks are gonna pony up a decent amount for em.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He wouldn’t come to the USA for a crappy AHL contract I’ll tell you that much. So Hawks are gonna pony up a decent amount for em.

Literally the most they can give him is a 925k NHL 2 way contract, with a 92.5k signing bonus and a 70k AHL salary, with 2.85 million in potential performance bonuses which he would obviously have to earn by performing fantastically(highly unlikely he would even get any more than the 850k schedule A bonuses). They literally cannot guarantee him more than that. I don't even know why you're replying to me insinuating they can when it's a CBA thing here.

If he signs a contract, it has to be a 2 way contract with a potential shitty AHL salary. If he's coming over that's what he's coming over for. Take it up with him if you think that's dumb. Obviously he wants to play in the NHL and can make more potentially down the road, but those are the entry level limits.

Players do it all the time. Chicago didn't have to pony up for Panarin for the first 2 years of his contract because he was restricted by entry level rules. Yet he still came over. Literally happens with every single European player under the age of 26 that comes over.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Literally the most they can give him is a 925k NHL 2 way contract, with a 92.5k signing bonus and a 70k AHL salary, with 2.85 million in potential performance bonuses which he would obviously have to earn by performing fantastically(highly unlikely he would even get any more than the 850k schedule A bonuses). They literally cannot guarantee him more than that. I don't even know why you're replying to me insinuating they can when it's a CBA thing here.

If he signs a contract, it has to be a 2 way contract with a potential ****ty AHL salary. If he's coming over that's what he's coming over for. Take it up with him if you think that's dumb.

That’s probably what he’s gonna sign for then. Tell me one reason why he would leave germany making 400k to come to the USA for 70k. Would you do that? You certainly wouldn’t. I bet there’s a mutual agreement that Kahun will make the squad and get all the bonuses you mentioned. If not? That’s just dumb for a 22 year old leaving money for less money.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That’s probably what he’s gonna sign for then. Tell me one reason why he would leave germany making 400k to come to the USA for 70k. Would you do that? You certainly wouldn’t. I bet there’s a mutual agreement that Kahun will make the squad and get all the bonuses you mentioned. If not? That’s just dumb for a 22 year old leaving money for less money.

That may be the case, but I didn't insinuate it wasn't in my original post. I just said it has to be a 2 way contract. He could potentially get an AHL assignment clause where he can go back to Europe if they try to send him down like Soshnikov had, but not sure if you can get those in your first year or not. The unbinding "yeah we'll play you in the NHL" agreements go out the window pretty quickly if you start the year really badly so unless he can get an AHL assignment clause I'd say that possibility of earning a 70k AHL salary(plus 92.5 signing bonuses) isn't entirely out of the picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad