Dominik Hasek greatest goalie ever?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Well Hasek was 35 when he came to Detroit, still a real good goalie but not as good as he used to be. Roy came to Avalance when he was 30, still pretty young and still in his prime. And I myself held Avs team higher than Detroits at those times (tight though, but I give the edge to Forsberg, Borque and Sakic).

And that being 35 didn't preclude Roy from winning a Conn Smythe?

Beat me to it ;)

GoDevs9

May 23, 2011
Hasek would've most likely won them as well playing for Avalance. Hasek 2.02 GAA in the playoffs, Roy: 2.30 GAA.

As I stated earlier Hasek didn't have the same support like Roy and Brodeur had. Roy or Hasek, I guess that's a matter of taste. 2 of the best goalies we've ever seen.

Think is Hasek played for Devils or Avalance that era, oh man. If he had 2.02 GAA in the playoffs with Sabres what would he have in Devils with a defensive trap game and Stevens, Niedermayer etc in front.

Brodeur gets no respect here. Sure he played with great defensemen, but he is great and is consistent. Marty has set so many records as well. His puck handling ability is better than any other goalie. Brodeur is the best goalie to ever play.

RyanCallahan24*

You realize that the Avalanche didn't exactly play Pat Burns hockey, right? And that being 35 didn't preclude Roy from winning a Conn Smythe?

As I said Avalanche had a better team. Better team + legendary game (like roy and hasek both had) = greater chance of reaching the finals and getting you into the conn smythe nomination.

Hasek has better saving percentage (actually got the highest % EVER in the NHL) and a lower GAA, both in the regular and post season. So why is it so hard to believe if Hasek played for the Avs in his prime he would've been just as good?

RyanCallahan24*

Brodeur gets no respect here. Sure he played with great defensemen, but he is great and is consistent. Marty has set so many records as well. His puck handling ability is better than any other goalie. Brodeur is the best goalie to ever play.

I've already said it. Brodeur was a great goalie and one of the best to have ever played this game. But Roy and Hasek are/were on another level.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
As I said Avalanche had a better team. Better team + legendary game (like roy and hasek both had) = greater chance of reaching the finals and getting you into the conn smythe nomination.

Hasek has better saving percentage (actually got the highest % EVER in the NHL) and a lower GAA, both in the regular and post season. So why is it so hard to believe if Hasek played for the Avs in his prime he would've been just as good?

You do realize Roy spent the first half of his career (including his regular season prime) in the run and gun 80s/early 90s?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hasek didn't have the privilige to play in such good teams as Colorado or Devils during their primes. Sure Sabres was good ...
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Buffalo was NOTHING without its goalie, captain and coach. It was an AHL level squad with below average NHLers, with maybe three slightly above average NHLers among the skaters other than Peca.

Hasek and an aggressive two-man forechecking style of coaching with defensemen pinching made for lots of offensive zone time and many odd man rushes against, which Hasek handles routinely to the point that a breakaway against was an opportunity to see HOW he would make the save, not whether he would!

Last edited:

RyanCallahan24*

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Buffalo was NOTHING without its goalie, captain and coach. It was an AHL level squad with below average NHLers, with maybe three slightly above average NHLers among the skaters other than Peca.

Hasek and an aggressive two-man forechecking style of coaching with defensemen pinching made for lots of offensive zone time and many odd man rushes against, which Hasek handles routinely to the point that a breakaway against was an opportunity to see HOW he would make the save, not whether he would!

Was trying to be nice to the ol' Sabres fans over here ;). Avs and Devils were elite teams while Buffalo was... Buffalo? Which makes it even more impressive.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Was trying to be nice to the ol' Sabres fans over here ;). Avs and Devils were elite teams while Buffalo was... Buffalo? Which makes it even more impressive.

Buffalo was mediocre at best outside of goal, but that was largely because of lack of scoring. I thought they were a more defensively sound team than Colorado in many years.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

I'm sorry but you have to do more than just spout high numbers in the playoffs.
You have to provide the context.
Hasek may have had the highest raw save% but how much better was that compared to his peers?
So what if Hasek had a .939 save %'s when his peers were not that far behind him in the .930 range.
Roy in his prime might of only been putting up .920's/.925's but he was doing it at a time when other goalies were barely hitting .900

And I don't give a crap what anyone thinks but throwing together a 1.93 GAA in 20 games during the 1986 PO's is a hell of a lot more impressive than a 1.77 GAA in 19 games during the 1999 PO's.

I haven't even gone into Roy's PO OT record yet because quite frankly...it's just major overkill for what should already be obvious.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But he did apologize - both privately and publicly...

Thanks for posting that piece. I was out of the country for years & only saw it "after the fact". I admit Ive been harsh...

ne jugez pas de puer d'etre juge...

Beat me to it ;)

He was "old", and you think you've still "got it".... :naughty:

Brodeur gets no respect here.

Wrong. Nothin BUT respect for that one. His Dad alone should be inducted into the HHOF for his work with the camera... Marty in terms of consistent BRILLIANCE more than deserving. An absolute rock. Calming presence. A hybrid who understands & respects those who went before; the historical parameters of the position. Re-invented himself several times, something that takes more guts & hubris than most most can imagine let alone institute. A "sneak thief" with integrity, honor, longevity. Really, really nice guy and complete gentleman/sportsman. Never done a thing to apologize for. "Team" player. Patient. A "student" of the game & position. Total Class. Royalty.... Id be perfectly content picking him above a Roy or Hasek, however, its that very lack of "edge" in terms of personality & combativeness that see's his ranking sink in comparison to the more flammable Roy & unorthodox Hasek. Most people want "sexy" to go with their picks oui?...

... with Buffalo?. All I saw was some Moron in the crease who wouldve looked better playing for Manchester United what with all the dypsomaniacal triangulations & just pure stunts he was pulling. As an "old goalie" myself, gotta tell ya, its a wonder that guy ever made it, that were discussing him at all. Absolute freak show. I dont know who it was that said something about genuis, brilliance being a road less traveled, but my God, if you dont think Hasek was a "one-off" then I dont know what to tell you. Bottom-line, I think he was a brilliant Con-Artist. So wrap those garlands around yourselves Hasek lovers, because he pulled it off with Elan... :naughty:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I agree, taken in totality, however, I like to remember some of the "Cameo's" from the likes of Sawchuk, Hall, Roger Crozier, Parent & Dryden & many more as being equally outstanding over time or for just one bright shining moment. I think the thing that impressed me the most about Hasek was the mans' intelligence, and I mean both on & off the ice. Definitely "out there", as goaltenders are wont to be.... Roy a a PepperPot but Man, talk about a glove hand, fast feet, big mouthed traffic cop & ultra fierce competitor; Brodeur was/is far more temporal, even keeled, so collectively, if I had to pick one of the 3 in their prime for say a best of 7, Id go with Roy. Reg'lar season though, gotta be Luongo no?....

No is the correct answer to Lou for the regular season.

Hasek belongs in the conversation of being the best goalie of all time forsure but there are also arguments for Roy and Broduer as well.

Not that it matters but Roy is a bit of an arrogant diva and Broduer did have that affair with his sister-in-law so does being a nice guy help Hasek in any way.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not that it matters but Roy is a bit of an arrogant diva and Broduer did have that affair with his sister-in-law so does being a nice guy help Hasek in any way.

Hasek physically assaulted a reporter in Buffalo and I think he did the same to a teammate in the Czech Republic.

In terms of ranking them, I only include on ice stuff, and I do think the fact that twice in his career, Hasek's teammates thought he quit on them, does matter.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... huh?. Since when was Dominic Hasek "a nice guy"?. He was a starting with 'P' ending with 'K' SOB. To his team mates, coaches, the World. Its one thing to be "smart", quite another to rub peoples noses in ones overarching assumed puddling mess of intellectual & physical superiority. Believe me, I know this from first hand experience... and a damn good job Im ex-Golden Gloves. Doesnt take much to piss off the Hillbillies out here in BC.... but I digress.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

To echo what others have said, if you think that Hasek's a "nice guy", then you haven't been paying attention.

And most goaltenders are divas; it's the nature of the position.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I pick the guy who played for one team throughout his career.

People discredit Brodeur for playing behind the trap, but heres a newsflash- it isnt nearly as effective without him. Brodeur was elite at stopping the puck, but he could single handedly ruin offenses with his ability to play the puck. The other two (Hasek and Roy) were not even close in this regard. Brodeur is loyal, level-headed and a team player who took massive paycuts to stay in NJ and try to improve his team.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
a team player who took massive paycuts to stay in NJ and try to improve his team.

Can you define "massive"?

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/426

He probably took less than he could have received, but I'd hardly call these "massive paycuts".

And Roy and Hasek (essentially) never played in a salary cap era, and when Hasek did, he took what could truly be considered "massive paycuts":

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/1475

Patrick Roy did just fine for himself:

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/3355

But with the Avalanche's success in a non-Cap era, why are you faulting him for taking the money (that Brodeur also happened to take in a pre-Cap era)?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Can you define "massive"?

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/426

He probably took less than he could have received, but I'd hardly call these "massive paycuts".

And Roy and Hasek (essentially) never played in a salary cap era, and when Hasek did, he took what could truly be considered "massive paycuts":

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/1475

Patrick Roy did just fine for himself:

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/3355

But with the Avalanche's success in a non-Cap era, why are you faulting him for taking the money (that Brodeur also happened to take in a pre-Cap era)?

Im not faulting either Roy or Hasek. Im just stating that it is KNOWN Brodeur took less money so Lou could improve the team. It just further proves Marty is a team player

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Im just stating that it is KNOWN Brodeur took less money so Lou could improve the team.

You're crediting Brodeur with things that neither Roy nor Hasek had the opportunity to do.

It'd be like if I said that Glenn Hall was better than Brodeur because he played every game of every season for multiple years.

Or that Bill Durnan was better than Brodeur because he didn't wear a mask.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I pick the guy who played for one team throughout his career.

People discredit Brodeur for playing behind the trap, but heres a newsflash- it isnt nearly as effective without him. Brodeur was elite at stopping the puck, but he could single handedly ruin offenses with his ability to play the puck. The other two (Hasek and Roy) were not even close in this regard. Brodeur is loyal, level-headed and a team player who took massive paycuts to stay in NJ and try to improve his team.

Hasek, several times in his career, took less money than what he was worth, and returned parts of his salary when he was injured.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
All I saw was some Moron in the crease who wouldve looked better playing for Manchester United what with all the dypsomaniacal triangulations & just pure stunts he was pulling.

Considering Peter Schmeichel was United's goaltender from 1991-1999, I think Hašek would have had a hard time making that team. ;)

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Also consider Hasek spent so much time of his youth and early prime behind the Iron Curtain. He played well in the CSSR and didn't he win an MVP aswell?

Also he played really well for Ottawa until he pulled his groing in 2006. He was 41 and still an elite goalie. He played well the following year at 42. Yes he played for a good Detroit team.

At 41 he was still at .925 SV % before he pulled his groin.

Hasek is the best I've seen in my life time. I hate Roy with a passion, but I generally consider him #2 and respect the influence he had on future goalies.

His Olympic performance is legendary. His 99 Cup run with the team on his back is legendary. These just add to his myth. There is also off ice stuff and incidents that can be held against him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad