Does Torts get nominated for the Jack Adams?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He should. Getting the best out of that roster.

A very good coach.

I love his personality. He's always been a good coach.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Prediction time and discussion time. Title pretty much says it all. I have to go with yes that Torts deserves at least a nomination for coach of the year and probably wins it if the Jackets sustain their insanity for the rest of the season...what are your thoughts?

Hell, yes. Torts will be a Jack Adams finalist, and winner at this rate.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Yes he is the favorite and yes so far he is the clear favorite. The Jackets have been the best team to watch hands down this season.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The nominees will be Torts, Gerard Gallant and Dave Tippet

And the winner is.......drumroll.............

Patrick Roy!!!!!!!

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Obvious front runner.

Happy for Torts. Was a big fan when he was in NY.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Absolutely, and as of today he's probably the winner.

I think if the Oilers make the playoffs McLellan should get it. After 10 years of consistently being one of the worst teams in the league, any coach who can get them into the playoffs probably deserves the award.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think if the Oilers make the playoffs McLellan should get it. After 10 years of consistently being one of the worst teams in the league, any coach who can get them into the playoffs probably deserves the award.
and after 16 years of being terrible, getting the CBJ to the top of the league probably earns the award

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
and after 16 years of being terrible, getting the CBJ to the top of the league probably earns the award

If you want to compare level of suck, maybe CBus has sucked longer but the Oilers have sucked harder. Take your choice I guess.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Paul Maurice in his pregame today talked about the Jackets being good the last 2 seasons, but just not able to overcome injuries and bad breaks. This season, good health and some good breaks, and their talent is proving that this is very good team.

I don't want to take credit away from Torts, I think he is the favorite right now, but player for player this is one of the top 8 teams in the league.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Paul Maurice in his pregame today talked about the Jackets being good the last 2 seasons, but just not able to overcome injuries and bad breaks. This season, good health and some good breaks, and their talent is proving that this is very good team.

I don't want to take credit away from Torts, I think he is the favorite right now, but player for player this is one of the top 8 teams in the league.

There's some truth to Maurice's point. The club last went on a run with a record like this (15-1-1) just 6 games before Torts' hire, remember.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Would that have been the case before the season?

Atkinson, Wennberg, Foligno, Saad, Gagner, Werenski & Hartnell. Hardly a set of superstars seen from the summer of 2016 (just took the highest point scorers - Jones and Bob would obviously be a part of the best players).

Not that it is all down to Tortorella. Sometimes teams just "click" and clearly that has happened in Columbus. I'm not sure if they are top 8 when it comes player for player. Certainly can't see them be dragged through poor spells the same way Kopitar/Doughty, Toews(in the old days)/Kane, Getzlaf/Perry can or could do.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Like 90% of NHL coaches

This frustrates me so much. It is not just hockey. Coaches are not allowed to have a bad year or 2 these days. football-manager Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) is one of the few who does not have to fear for his job, while everywhere else managers are being sacked/fired.

I know the pressure is enormous and the expectation to win is always there, but give coaches a chance to build a team, for once.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Maurice is all about the excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad