Does this team need to shake up the room with a trade?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Tanks ahoy, gimme McEichel. Best thing we could do to put ***** in seats next year is get the top pick this year. If close enough, Bettman would...nah he'd **** that up too.

The NHL doesn't fix drafts.

The '85 NBA draft is probably the only draft in any major sport that was fixed.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Tanks ahoy, gimme McEichel. Best thing we could do to put ***** in seats next year is get the top pick this year. If close enough, Bettman would...nah he'd **** that up too.
No, the worst thing that could happen right now is to dwell at the bottom of the league (regardless of the talent available). That would basically mean that the rebuild still isn't close to coming to an end and your average spectator isn't going to give two ****s about the team next season if we're in for another bottom3 finish.

If the "bring a potential superstar prospect = crowd shows up" worked in Sunrise, people would have already showed up this season to watch this recent #1 overall. They haven't.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's impossible for us to realistically land McEichel. We'd have to lose pretty much every game the rest of the season, maybe only win 5-7 more. It's not gonna happen. Again, the "playoffs or McDavid" thing is just a fantasy. That's not possible.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
No, the worst thing that could happen right now is to dwell at the bottom of the league (regardless of the talent available). That would basically mean that the rebuild still isn't close to coming to an end and your average spectator isn't going to give two ****s about the team next season if we're in for another bottom3 finish.

If the "bring a potential superstar prospect = crowd shows up" worked in Sunrise, people would have already showed up this season to watch this recent #1 overall. They haven't.

they don't care if it's not playoff hockey. even when we're in the hunt they don't give a ****..

there is such a huge difference between a generational offensive player who'll light the league on fire and an incredible two-way defender i'm afraid.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
they don't care if it's not playoff hockey. even when we're in the hunt they don't give a ****..

there is such a huge difference between a generational offensive player who'll light the league on fire and an incredible two-way defender i'm afraid.

What is this "huge difference" if you'd care to elaborate?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Which is why the team needs to improve gradually. When the team shows that they can contend for playoffs on a yearly basis, the people will show up. Just like in any other city that's main attendance is bandwagon driven.

Bottom line is, this isn't the sort of market that gets interested on prospects. You'd need a proven superstar, league MVP etc. that kind of player and the hype that comes along with it.

Hell, we've even had our All-Star goalie and arguably the most popular Panther of all time return and it still hasn't made a difference in attendance. Without going to how many top picks are currently playing on this team.

And tbh based on the WJCs, I don't think Eichel is going to be as dominant as some assume. All I saw was a lot of "me, me and more me". He's not going far in the NHL with that attitude.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Which is why the team needs to improve gradually. When the team shows that they can contend for playoffs on a yearly basis, the people will show up. Just like in any other city that's main attendance is bandwagon driven.

Bottom line is, this isn't the sort of market that gets interested on prospects. You'd need a proven superstar, league MVP etc. that kind of player and the hype that comes along with it.

Hell, we've even had our All-Star goalie and arguably the most popular Panther of all time return and it still hasn't made a difference in attendance. Without going to how many top picks are currently playing on this team.

And tbh based on the WJCs, I don't think Eichel is going to be as dominant as some assume. All I saw was a lot of "me, me and more me". He's not going far in the NHL with that attitude.

agreed, many good points.

i was only talking about mcdavid btw.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think i forgot the shhh face. I don't want to tank, we've shown we can beat the best of em.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I honestly think McDavid could make a difference to attendance. A superstar generational talent forward could improve interest. As good as Ekblad has been, he's still just a defenseman, which isn't as sexy as a forward.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It's impossible for us to realistically land McEichel. We'd have to lose pretty much every game the rest of the season, maybe only win 5-7 more. It's not gonna happen. Again, the "playoffs or McDavid" thing is just a fantasy. That's not possible.

We're winning the lottery if we don't make the playoffs.

You heard it here first!

FlaPantherSwe*

We can't afford more lottery spots! We already have Qubecc and most of NHL knocking on our door. Win or die mode is on!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Waiving someone who has played 45 games is shake up enough.Though Olsen is not a big name, maybe guys in the locker room liked him.

kinda like what happened with Richards. Man, Jeff Carter was emotional and on beast mode last night. When asked about Richards after the game, dude sounded like he was about to cry.

So I'm looking at you Gudbranson. I'm sure some rapport was built up there. I'm looking at you to step it the **** up.

I'm also tired of the musical chairs that only involves Pirri, Flash, Upshall (to a lesser extent Hayes and Bergenheim). Jokinen needs a chair too!!

I'm such a Jussi hater....

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Waiving someone who has played 45 games is shake up enough.Though Olsen is not a big name, maybe guys in the locker room liked him.

kinda like what happened with Richards. Man, Jeff Carter was emotional and on beast mode last night. When asked about Richards after the game, dude sounded like he was about to cry.

So I'm looking at you Gudbranson. I'm sure some rapport was built up there. I'm looking at you to step it the **** up.

I'm also tired of the musical chairs that only involves Pirri, Flash, Upshall (to a lesser extent Hayes and Bergenheim). Jokinen needs a chair too!!

I'm such a Jussi hater....

You're making assumptions....for all we know, Luongo went to Tallon and said he can't deal with Olsen anymore. Not saying that's the case, but we have no idea what the team feels about him

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You're making assumptions....for all we know, Luongo went to Tallon and said he can't deal with Olsen anymore. Not saying that's the case, but we have no idea what the team feels about him

Yes. but regardless of the feelings, he was still there for over half the season now. Sending a teammate through waivers just like that is a strong message to the team. To be frank, this only happened because of the 5 game losing streak.

They win last Tuesday and Olsen doesn't get waived.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I honestly think McDavid could make a difference to attendance. A superstar generational talent forward could improve interest. As good as Ekblad has been, he's still just a defenseman, which isn't as sexy as a forward.
Nothing brings out interest for the next year like a solid playoff run. If they could just win one series, the Cats would probably p/u another couple thousand season ticket holders. You have to build on that for at least 3 years to get the bandwagon people to buy in. We have seen such incompetence from this team for decades, it's going to take time.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

The average spectator doesn't care until the team actually has success in the playoffs. Being 30th or 17th is the same thing, and being 30th doesn't necessarily mean they won't make the playoffs again for another few years. Being able to market the possibility of drafting a superstar forward in your own home arena could go a long way and could create some serious publicity for the team. Being a bubble team that misses the playoffs by three points is the most useless position the team could possibly be in.

Also, the buzz surrounding Ekblad was never and will never be the same as the buzz surrounding McDavid. No one expected Ekblad to perform as well as he has; McDavid (and Eichel, for that matter) is expected to come in and be a producer right out of the gate. It would bring the team both national media attention and local media attention.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
The average spectator doesn't care until the team actually has success in the playoffs. Being 30th or 17th is the same thing, and being 30th doesn't necessarily mean they won't make the playoffs again for another few years. Being able to market the possibility of drafting a superstar forward in your own home arena could go a long way and could create some serious publicity for the team. Being a bubble team that misses the playoffs by three points is the most useless position the team could possibly be in.

Also, the buzz surrounding Ekblad was never and will never be the same as the buzz surrounding McDavid. No one expected Ekblad to perform as well as he has; McDavid (and Eichel, for that matter) is expected to come in and be a producer right out of the gate. It would bring the team both national media attention and local media attention.

Disagree. There was buzz here after the big shoutout, ever since there's been nothing.

Local anything (media, band wagoners) don't give two ***** unless we're in the playoffs. Only people who know about McBust or Eichel are us. Drafting one of those two would get one segment on the local news the day of and that's it.

There is purely one solution to get people in the stands and that's playoffs. I went to all four playoff games against the devils a few years back and that place was jammed packed.

Same goes for the Heat, Marlins, Fins, and Canes.

If you win, they will come.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Nothing brings out interest for the next year like a solid playoff run. If they could just win one series, the Cats would probably p/u another couple thousand season ticket holders. You have to build on that for at least 3 years to get the bandwagon people to buy in. We have seen such incompetence from this team for decades, it's going to take time.

We made the playoffs recently. Sure it wasn't a long run. And the start of the following season started well. But the fans soon started not showing once they realised the team sucked. But yes, a consistent team that makes the playoffs and goes on good runs would help attendance the best. I just think a superstar forward could help as well. :)

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
The casual South Florida sports fan doesn't care if the Panthers finish 17th or 30th, but they likely will perk up when they hear that the team makes the playoffs. Even if we held a Wild Card spot at the time, I can't see attendance in games like last night with not many butts in the seats much better.

However, for progression and respect around the league, 17th is a hell of a lot better than 30th. It takes baby steps. In my mind, even if we don't make the playoffs, which is unlikely, it shows progress that this team could be dangerous in the near future if they keep moving upward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad