Does this team need to shake up the room with a trade?

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Obviously nothing has changed in our needs. I still think we need a big scoring threat from the wings. The overall offense is better but it's still lacking. Defensively we've fallen off a bit from the start (is Ekblad hitting the rookie "wall" a bit?).

Bottom line is do we need a trade to shake up the room a bit? I believe so.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
I think Ekblad has certainly hit the rookie wall, although he is still playing phenomenal for an 18 y/o rookie Dman. The mistakes have been creeping in over the past 5-10 games, but I'm not too worried. Its natural he'd be gassed at some point this year, hopefully he pushes through. I think last night was evidence that somethings gotta give with Olsen. He shows flashes of brilliance at times but its always followed by complete distaster. Guds has, in my opinion, been greaton that third pairing and in every situation (PK and even PP sometimes). Get him a good partner.

Also, despite our PP exploding last night we still desperately need a scoring winger. That being said, if the right trade isn't there (ie. losing a core young gun, or trading for Semin) I'd rather wait till the offseason. I think the defense is absolutely fixable though. Make some trades Dale

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
also; in the beginning of the season i said that we needed a vet to play with guds cuz olsen just don't cut it in the long run but i got shut down quick af and they put a lock on the thread.
glad everyone is hopping on that train now.. sheesh. :facepalm:

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
On Dan Rosen's "mailbag" this question was posed and he mentioned Yandle which I hadn't really though about. What do you guys think it would take to get him? This D corps looks a lot better:

Ekblad-Campbell
Kuli-Yandle
Guds-Mitchell
Olsen

This could also open the door for a possible Campbell trade for a scoring winger and 3rd pairing Dman, thus essentially replacing Yandle w/ Campbell and getting a third pair Dman for Guds whilst getting a winger in the process. Only question is what it would cost to get Yandle

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
No I don't think this team needs a trade. As of now we are actually overperforming so any trade to try to get us into the playoffs wouldn't really make much sense. Our D is solid considering we were in the top ten in the league for fewest goals against before our five game losing streak and the only thing missing, I would say, is some scoring wingers. If Tallon can pull of some trades involving Upshall, Fleischmann, or Kopecky then I'd be impressed.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
also; in the beginning of the season i said that we needed a vet to play with guds cuz olsen just don't cut it in the long run but i got shut down quick af and they put a lock on the thread.
glad everyone is hopping on that train now.. sheesh. :facepalm:

You asked for the lock... :shakehead

If we are ahead of Boston come the deadline, I wouldn't mind to trade for someone to help secure a spot. But if we are on the outside looking in, we should trade a combination of Kopecky, Bergy, Upshall and call back Trocheck and Howden if he's not injured. It could be a test for Howden to see if he's ready to take Kopy's place next season.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
On Dan Rosen's "mailbag" this question was posed and he mentioned Yandle which I hadn't really though about. What do you guys think it would take to get him? This D corps looks a lot better:

Ekblad-Campbell
Kuli-Yandle
Guds-Mitchell
Olsen

This could also open the door for a possible Campbell trade for a scoring winger and 3rd pairing Dman, thus essentially replacing Yandle w/ Campbell and getting a third pair Dman for Guds whilst getting a winger in the process. Only question is what it would cost to get Yandle

I would love Yandle. I think he would be pretty expensive. He'd be paired with Guds though. Balance the offense with the stay at home d-man.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
You asked for the lock... :shakehead

this is very true. i would never have done that and the thread would never have been locked if it wasn't for the massive support olsen got and the constant bashing of the subject of the thread. it was going nowhere cuz olsen was apparently a beast.
i have a really hard time letting that go as you can see. still pissed bout that whole ordeal.

well everyone except for you of course.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
To get Yandle, Guds would potentially go back the other way, and/or a first round pick, Trocheck, Huberdeau, or a combination of other assets. They're not going to give him away for cheap, and a 2016 first plus Petrovic or something like that won't get it done IMO. Olsen looked terrible on that giveaway, and that D coverage down low was miserable on those goals last night....I feel bad for Luongo to have to sit in there and be subjected to that. I do think Yandle would be a nice pickup, but would prefer our top, tradable assets (2016 first, Howden, Matheson, 2015 2nd, Petrovic) to be allocated toward offensive improvement. Though we've had one of the top prospect pools for years, Barkov, Bjugstad, Ekblad, Guds, and Huberdeau are likely not going anywhere. I'd trade Guds or Hubie for the right price (especially Guds if it brought back a stud forward), but the remainder of our farm system does not hold significant value. I don't believe that anyone other than Matheson, Trocheck, and/or our 1sts would be able to fetch a significant return. Grimaldi's more valuable to us than anyone else, and has question marks that diminish his value.

Sidenote: the only interesting thing about the allstar game, to me, was what a beast Johansen is in Columbus. Hindsight is 20/20, but that guy is a future 40-50 goal scorer and franchise player. His goal last night from way up high on that one-timer was incredible, and it pains me to think he was there for the taking and wouldn't have been a significant reach. We certainly drafted on need by picking Guds, and it's hard to say it was a mistake, but I'd be all over Johansen if I had a time machine going back to that draft.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
To get Yandle, Guds would potentially go back the other way, and/or a first round pick, Trocheck, Huberdeau, or a combination of other assets. They're not going to give him away for cheap, and a 2016 first plus Petrovic or something like that won't get it done IMO. Olsen looked terrible on that giveaway, and that D coverage down low was miserable on those goals last night....I feel bad for Luongo to have to sit in there and be subjected to that. I do think Yandle would be a nice pickup, but would prefer our top, tradable assets (2016 first, Howden, Matheson, 2015 2nd, Petrovic) to be allocated toward offensive improvement. Though we've had one of the top prospect pools for years, Barkov, Bjugstad, Ekblad, Guds, and Huberdeau are likely not going anywhere. I'd trade Guds or Hubie for the right price (especially Guds if it brought back a stud forward), but the remainder of our farm system does not hold significant value. I don't believe that anyone other than Matheson, Trocheck, and/or our 1sts would be able to fetch a significant return. Grimaldi's more valuable to us than anyone else, and has question marks that diminish his value.

Sidenote: the only interesting thing about the allstar game, to me, was what a beast Johansen is in Columbus. Hindsight is 20/20, but that guy is a future 40-50 goal scorer and franchise player. His goal last night from way up high on that one-timer was incredible, and it pains me to think he was there for the taking and wouldn't have been a significant reach. We certainly drafted on need by picking Guds, and it's hard to say it was a mistake, but I'd be all over Johansen if I had a time machine going back to that draft.

You could say that for most drafts tbh.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No I don't think so (I'm assuming this is about a big trade). Especially when you are in the tail end of a rebuild. We are not close to contending. You don't make a big trade to try to squeak into the playoffs/because you are slumping.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
No I don't think so (I'm assuming this is about a big trade). Especially when you are in the tail end of a rebuild. We are not close to contending. You don't make a big trade to try to squeak into the playoffs/because you are slumping.

As much as I don't like it I have to agree here. Dale Tallon has invested his time into a long conservative rebuild through the draft. He just can't afford the price it would take to acquire good talent without losing good talent in return. So the waiting game continues. The turn around of the Panthers won't happen until their young talent learns how to be consistent on the ice. They've made decent strides this year and Still have a half of a season to progress further.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As much as I don't like it I have to agree here. Dale Tallon has invested his time into a long conservative rebuild through the draft. He just can't afford the price it would take to acquire good talent without losing good talent in return. So the waiting game continues. The turn around of the Panthers won't happen until their young talent learns how to be consistent on the ice. They've made decent strides this year and Still have a half of a season to progress further.

I concur.

FlaPantherSwe*

Any thoughts of getting Yakupov? iknow his current struggles but the Oilers are what they are. I have a feeling he would be a great fit here along with our big young centers and the low pressure Florida market. What do you guys think? am i way over the blue line here?

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Any thoughts of getting Yakupov? iknow his current struggles but the Oilers are what they are. I have a feeling he would be a great fit here along with our big young centers and the low pressure Florida market. What do you guys think? am i way over the blue line here?

His value to the Oilers >>>>>> his value to the Panthers (or any other team, for that matter). They won't sell low on him so it's going to take a big package to get him here. I'm not crazy about that.

FlaPantherSwe*

His value to the Oilers >>>>>> his value to the Panthers (or any other team, for that matter). They won't sell low on him so it's going to take a big package to get him here. I'm not crazy about that.

True.. I think i got carried away but i can't help to think of him as a potential "poor mans" Pavel Bure on our team in the future with our current sucsess in development of young talent. Thank you for you're input.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
True.. I think i got carried away but i can't help to think of him as a potential "poor mans" Pavel Bure on our team in the future with our current sucsess in development of young talent. Thank you for you're input.

I definitely agree with you that he'd be a great fit with this team, but I don't think he's a realistic target.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Tanks ahoy, gimme McEichel. Best thing we could do to put ***** in seats next year is get the top pick this year. If close enough, Bettman would...nah he'd **** that up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad