Does this team need to shake up the room with a trade?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
The average spectator doesn't care until the team actually has success in the playoffs. Being 30th or 17th is the same thing, and being 30th doesn't necessarily mean they won't make the playoffs again for another few years. Being able to market the possibility of drafting a superstar forward in your own home arena could go a long way and could create some serious publicity for the team. Being a bubble team that misses the playoffs by three points is the most useless position the team could possibly be in.

Also, the buzz surrounding Ekblad was never and will never be the same as the buzz surrounding McDavid. No one expected Ekblad to perform as well as he has; McDavid (and Eichel, for that matter) is expected to come in and be a producer right out of the gate. It would bring the team both national media attention and local media attention.

I'm on board with everything you're saying, but we're not realistically getting McDavid.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It's too late to make a trade that would give us hope for this season. That should've been done a month ago. Our best bet is to try unload any vets we can for picks and hopefully pull off a blockbuster or two at the draft

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
I think we need to make a trade now. Not to push for playoffs but to ship off veterans that we are losing anyways. Get some draft picks for them. Make room for our young core that play harder (and better IMO) such as rocco Grimaldi. We even had to bench Hayes who could have produced a goal for us tonight. It will also give the team a wake up call just to show them that garbage play means serious changes.

On the bright side, we have a great future. I hope we do get that goal scorer someday soon. I remember going to games with my Pavel Bure jersey and watching him play. His breakaways were great and he really could score. Man was that awesome live. We need that guy again. Not just for the goals, but for fans to get in the seats and watch. We had decent crowds when we had Bure. That's what we need. If Dale is offering, I'm here to help assist GM :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think we need to make a trade now. Not to push for playoffs but to ship off veterans that we are losing anyways. Get some draft picks for them. Make room for our young core that play harder (and better IMO) such as rocco Grimaldi. We even had to bench Hayes who could have produced a goal for us tonight. It will also give the team a wake up call just to show them that garbage play means serious changes.

On the bright side, we have a great future. I hope we do get that goal scorer someday soon. I remember going to games with my Pavel Bure jersey and watching him play. His breakaways were great and he really could score. Man was that awesome live. We need that guy again. Not just for the goals, but for fans to get in the seats and watch. We had decent crowds when we had Bure. That's what we need. If Dale is offering, I'm here to help assist GM :)
If you trade all the veterans then you have to replace them with the better players from San Antonio. You are never going to get anything more than a 3rd to 6th round draft choice for any of them. I'm for letting the grape rot on the vine and let the young guys build a winning culture down in San Antonio. Bringing them up and losing is just a way to perpetuate the culture this organization has known for close to two decades. Butler and Trocheck are the only players that are even close to being NHL ready, and I'd rather see them go for a championship in the AHL than suffer up here. Tampa Bay and Detroit were content to let their young guys mature and build that championship mentality and it has paid off in spades. The only question mark is ownership and their ability to be patient and let the team take another financial hit to get a top two pick + promising player from the 2nd round.

Tallon has proven that he doesn't understand the UFA market. He has failed miserably in securing mediocre talent at inflated prices. His best acquisitions have been Mitchell, Kopy and the players that make less than $2M per. The rest have already packed their bags and mentally left the team. Incidentally, it is not Gallant making the scratch list, it is the harmonious puppetmaster himself. You know what losing teams say: "When the going gets tough, the floaters rise to the top." The analogy aptly applies to what is in the pool in Caddyshack, except we don't have Carl Spackler to save us: "It's no big deal."

Scorers will have to come from within and not from trading away your future for a guy like Bure.

Last edited:

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
We are still a year or two away. We are solid in goal and greatly improved on D. On offense, we are strong up the middle, solid at LW, but weak at RW. We also lack a top level sniper.

We need try and trade Upshall, Kopecky and Flash at the TDL, failing that let them walk. We should attempt to resign Bergy, and, if we cannot, trade him at the TDL too.

As fans, we should be content with the rebuild. We are showing improvement on the ice. We have NHL ready prospects. We have cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad