Does this team make the playoffs?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
24 games in, 25 points. Currently sitting 12th in the conference and 3 points out of the final wild card.*

Pretty simple, does this team make it based on what we've seen so far?

*bit misleading obviously

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
For some reason my gut is telling me they will pull through.

My common sense and from watching them tells me no. Especially with the amount of under performing players we have, injuries we have..etc.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think its the year we miss. I think they are struggling a lot right now more than usual but I don't think the team has what it takes to get in after a few slumps like this through the season.

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
If everyone remembers, the Wings had a good record at the end of December last year. I think it was either January or February where the team started losing.

This year, they have been playing .500 hockey out of the gate. So they don't have that 2.5 month cushion they had last season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Part of me thinks this team can't play any worse than they have. They're still finding ways to get points and wins.

I don't think we'll know the answer to this question until April.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we'll make it. At some point we're going to start getting some healthy bodies back up front, and I'm just hoping the kids find their legs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If everyone remembers, the Wings had a good record at the end of December last year. I think it was either January or February where the team started losing.

This year, they have been playing .500 hockey out of the gate. So they don't have that 2.5 month cushion they had last season.

No?

The team like 16 games in was identical to last year. 8-6-2

It looks worse optically because they won 6 in a row and then dropped a bunch in a row, but they were within one game of last year's record for Oct/Nov.

12-8-4 last year, 11-10-2 this year.

They'll be right there this year too. If they miss it's because the rash of injuries didn't stop.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nope, I think they miss as of now. Would take some serious ship righting to get in. I think there is potential for that to happen, but I doubt it.

If we do make it, I would assume it had something to do with our younger players stepping up or both Howard and Mrazek being dominant.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
In the end, I think they pull through and squeak in, as long as this rash of injuries doesn't keep up.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Healthy I say yeah why not?
But if they keep injuries like this throughout the season I say no.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I think it'll play out like last year. They'll squeak in because other team(s) will falter in April, not because the team are world beaters when they absolutely need to be.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It all depends really, and it starts with the defense.I reallllly like this team with Ryan Sproul, XO in the lineup. They bring a different element to the Wings and its exactly what this team needs going forward. Sproul and XO can move the puck up quicker and more effective then lets say most D on this team. Now this isn't me bashing or attacking anyones favorite defensive player, I just don't see how the Wings are better when Smith/Marchenko come back from IR. If Sproul and XO are pushed out of the lineup, to me the answer is, no, they don't make the playoffs. If Sproul and XO are sitting in the press box, the Wings get weaker on D with Smith and Marchenko and the other starters on D, playing on a team that is currently struggling to score. The Wings as of late have been much much better getting the puck up the ice and creating odd man rushes, thanks to Sproul and XO and it could lead to more scoring with more playing time for both and improved confidence.

Now for offense, what does the team do when AA and and Helm come back? Sit Mantha? Definitely not, so what happens? Continue rotating sitting Miller/Ott ? Do they god forbid finally sit Riley Sheahan or Glendening? How about Jurco? How about Bertuzzi, when he comes back? He could be the odd man out, but still, I believe Bert, AA, Jurco, Helm bring more then lets say Riley Sheahan, Miller or Glendening. We aren't scoring, its becoming clear Riley, Luke, Miller are having a hard time scoring as well, so what happens? I dont believe Sheahan, Glendening, will be sitting much, thus leaving AA/Jurco/Bertuzzi with the possibility of sitting and this is where the havoc starts. Too many players up front that belong and too many players upfront that should be sitting... Holland has some thinking to do if they/he thinks they are a playoff caliber team.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
give me our best team and yes. Thats means no sheham no geldening, put aa and bert in. Put z on the 3rd line. Put our best out there are we are in the playoffs.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Bertuzzi is a lock to be sent down if there's not more injuries by the time he's ready.

The best we can hope for is a waived Miller or Ott for AA, Mantha, and Jurcs to all stay.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
It's perhaps a bit ironic that Holland got his wish for 3-on-3 overtime, thereby reducing the number of shootouts, because a mediocre team with Vanek and Nielsen on it probably could have made the playoffs on the merits of their shootout prowess--though I suppose the 13-14 Isles beg to differ as 18 of their last-in-division 79 points came on shootout wins alone (plus the six from those they lost), and Vanek's contribution in that regard was minimal. The Isles were arguably a more talented team than ours currently too, which doesn't bode well either way.

Running down the schedule there's only a handful of road games we come out with a better than 50% odds of winning, and the home side doesn't look much better. We'll need a lot of good luck, which so far has been in short supply, or a significant roster-upgrade, which I don't see forthcoming. We'll need every extra point we can get, one of our goalies to be playing lights out at all times. Our odds do seem to increase though when league-wide scoring ticks up (likely because it takes the emphasis off defense), so maybe it's time to just let our horses run and see where they take us.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I voted no. Even Detroit's wins, 2-1 in OT or SO, it's not sustainable or deserving. I can't believe when it really comes down to the desperation necessary to advance that teams like Boston, Philly, Panthers, Senators, are going to roll over and let the Wings by. Haven't watched enough of Columbus or NJ to say anything with 100% confidence but it "feels" to me the Wings will miss.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hard for me to bet against that thing that has happened essentially every single year of my life.

But then again, this team isn't particularly good, and doesn't even resemble the teams I have seen since I started seriously watching hockey and the Wings around ~2002.

We have nothing close to a #1 defenseman. We don't really have a #1 center. I think we have 1 person on pace to crack 20 goals, and 1 person on pace to crack 50 points.

If not for Mrazek and Howard combining for a top 10 SV % at ES, we'd probably be a bottom 5 team right now.

Without a coaching change or some kind of a serious shakeup, I have a hard time seeing this team getting in. Even with our track record.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Where is the "I hope not" choice? Never thought I'd say that, but the brand is pretty stale, and it feels almost certain that making the playoffs will result in more cap and roster mismanagement. If Zetterberg's corpse can keep them in the hunt until the trade deadline, it could get messy. Last playoff at the Joe, so why not go for broke, right?

If the Wings are on the bubble, anyone want to wager on Holland 'not' moving the few value pieces he has ("few" is singular in this case)? I'd say next to zero chance he moves anything for futures, outside shot he moves low futures for D help, and a 100% chance he trades for Legwand when Helm gets hurt again. If they make the playoffs, there's a decent chance we see Vanek back at $3.5 x 4.

Please let them be out of contention at the deadline!

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I feel like we just barely trip and fall into the Playoffs again and then get outed like every year. Though i'm not 100% on that.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I think this year is where it ends. I'm good with "just" making the playoffs over just not, but I think the difference is this year is that the other teams who have missed the playoffs like Columbus, Ottawa, Philly, Jersey, etc are doing better. Anything can happen, but with the injuries, lack of talent and inability to make any serious change, I think they're going to be the one without the chair when the music stops.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If we don't play like crap in March like the last 2 years

Also what's our record with vanek

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I vote no. Our D, such as it is, will collapse along with Kronwall's knees and Ericsson's hips. There's no amount of magic that can save this team, this year, unless Mantha scores 40 goals.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I've never felt less confident in a Wings team than I do this season, but a few things speak for us making it:

* Mrazek may be starting to turn his game around
* Larkin is looking better and better and should start getting points someday soon
* Mantha single-handedly makes our top 6 a lot more capable
* Tatar realistically can't be this snakebit all season.
* Still haven't seen a theoretical 'best' lineup, which includes AA+Mantha
* We don't really allow a ton of goals, in the long run that tends to pay off
* A couple of teams ahead of us in the standings are likely overperforming (East has been unsustainably good)

Basically if guys like Larkin, Mrazek and Tatar start getting into a groove, this team could quickly look a lot better. But last year we never got into any kind of groove so it's not guaranteed to happen.

I'm leaning "no" but this team is just not easy to count out. And I REALLY like what Sproul and Mantha bring. Team has looked a ton better when they play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad