Does this team have a shot at the cup still?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Still? They've never had a chance from day one.

Zero chance is my answer.

Certainly not with that crap defense.
I also don't think you can win with such a butter-soft team in the playoffs. It's a long grind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Polaris1010

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Maybe. Let's make the playoffs first.

Beating Buffalo twice would be a nice start

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Definetely. Can't wait to see these folks shocked when a 'butter-soft' team makes the playoffs and does well. I'm happy with at least a first-round win this year, but obviously want to go all the way.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The entire season has been a gong show.

The Marner negotation going into camp. Matthews mooning incident. The team playing like utter crap and the 6 game losing streak. Babcock firing and all the ridiculous drama surrounding it.

I don't think it's the leafs year...

Reactions: Polaris1010

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
The entire season has been a gong show.

The Marner negotation going into camp. Matthews mooning incident. The team playing like utter crap and the 6 game losing streak. Babcock firing and all the ridiculous drama surrounding it.

I don't think it's the leafs year...

Sure, but adversity can build character, strength, resilience, etc. Thankfully everything you described is in the past. There's currently nothing hanging over their heads and it's still early in the year. Lots of time left to climb in the standings

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They'll have a chance when they make the playoffs. We'd also have to see who else would make it there along with them. I wouldn't say they lack depth. Rather, they lack the cap space to have a 23 man roster. Cap space also doesn't mean what it should if the result ends up being a lesser team. Roster moves/trades could still happen. Fair enough that they might not classify as 'major'.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The Leafs hardly lack depth, I'm not sure why people still think that but its far from the truth. Just because your 4th line isn't going to score you a lot of goals, doesn't mean you have depth issues, I mean you don't really want your 4th line out there that much. The Leafs have 2 top quality lines and a solid goal scoring threat for the 3rd line, which is more than a lot of teams in the NHL. The Leafs last season had 7 players score 20 or more goals, the cup winners had 3. Not saying this proves the Leafs will win the cup, but I think people over exaggerate how "poor" the depth is.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Where do you find out info about their practices?
There was a bunch of content about it on 1050 today.
- Defense and Forwards on separate rinks.
- Keefe led forwards
-Freddy on the ice for a limited time/talk if him doing this on a regular basis for load management

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Would love to get a solid second pairing level RHD and a serviceable backup goaltender. But even cup winning teams aren't perfect and I think we're a cup contender. A lot of luck can go into it though, so there's no guarantees. Just have to keep the window open as long as possible and make as many deep runs as possible.

Edit - still need to make the playoffs though we're in a hole

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don't understand why people talk about how we lack depth. We don't, other than on the goaltending position. We have a third line that - when healthy - probably consists of Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen. That should be one of the best in the league. Our #9-10 d-men were NHL players last season. Agostino looked like a top nine player last season and hasn't even been called up yet. We have plenty depth.

I think we lack depth. Our defense is light, an absolute joy for opposing teams to play against. We can't roll four dangerous lines as we did two years ago, relying on a top heavy lineup and inexperienced role players. We have the same feel up and down the lineup. It is going to face challenges in the second season called the playoffs, if we make it.

Like it or not, until the league is serious about calling the games to the letter, the playoffs are a tighter, more whistle free affair. Think about why Kadri was suspended last year, he retaliated for a non-call that clearly should have been a penalty and would have been called in the regular season.

It's clear we are going for the Penguins model to win Cups rather than the Caps, Blues model. It could work if the team plays as a unit defensively and bring the Will to win. I haven't seen it on a consistent basis

In short, make the playoffs and we have a shot. I do think lack of depth is going to come back to haunt us. Let's see if Keefe motivates them to get on track.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
In the NHL, year after year, it's not how you start, it's how you finish the regular season. If we go on a roll...and I think we will, we've got a great shot.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Does this team have a shot at the cup still?
Not this year. IMHO this is not the year.

After this season, who knows, as the roster needs to be readjusted again because no one is signed to play defense next season. Unless Rielly is quadruple shifted, there could be gaping holes that will not be filled.

Remember Mike Babcock. The three years with playoff series and 100 point seasons could be the high water mark for all we know.

:cold:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The other day i looking at the standings & we were only 4 pts behind Montreal who was 4th in west conf.At the same time, we were only 6pts ahead of the worst team in the NHL.

I think with the change in coaching ,yes we do have a shot.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I seriously do not like the mix of players on this team.

There should be a serious shake up, trading some out and bringing in new blood. But since Dubas won the power struggle, they live and die with this bunch.

Consider what happened.

Everyone played hard for Babcock the past two seasons.

Everyone was given a brand new contract by management.

Then the players quit on their coach, and Babs was canned not even 20 games into the next season.

Do ya thunk, like, these guys had the heart and will and desire to go 4 rounds in the playoffs?

The playoffs? Playoffs? We talking playoffs?

Maybe not, eh.

:baghead:

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Yes.

We have a stacked roster.

If Keefe can implement some functional structure, we'll be a dominant team.

he already has...

Forwards are collapsing deep in the d zone. D are active through the neutral zone and constantly pinching in the o zone. Now we are seeing why Dubas built the team this way with so much speed and skill. Every players offensive side is now on display with this offence. There is more possession / creativity / freedom to make plays Vs. north south grind it out hockey.

Everything went down hill as soon as Gardiner got hurt last season. Who new the stretch pass would be missed so much

Reactions: weems

Mar 26, 2010
Absolutely yes! Now that Babcock’s shackles have been cut off, this team can perform better than any other team in the NHL!

Don’t sleep on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, this is a new era that has now begun, after all of this news about Babcock, it’s obvious now that he was the problem and he was holding our talent back.

We’re 2-0 under Keefe for a reason. Our time begins now and it’s fitting too, just about to start the 20’s decade, we’re about to enter the decade that we’re going to win the cup in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad