Does this team have a shot at the cup still?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The only depth we're lacking is the BUG which is typically the cheapest position and least effective in the playoffs.

We 100% have a legit shot at the cup if we get back in the playoff picture, which is completely realistic. We take it for granted that we have 3, 40+ point players on the 3rd line. That in itself is a testament of depth. Then we have players on the 4th line that can chip in as well like Petan and Spezza.

Depth players that we have, that could realisticly play on the team without issues:
Agistino
Aberg
Korshov
Engvall(not a regular when healthy)
Schmaltz
Liljeren
Graval
Harpur

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
We are not lacking depth, we likely will be next year but that is pure narrative this season. We don't have a good backup but McBackup probably wasn't winning us a cup anyway, so you can say if Freddie goes down were screwed but that's true of every team's starter. Yes, get in and they have a chance and they will get in.

Reactions: Ciao

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't understand why people talk about how we lack depth. We don't, other than on the goaltending position. We have a third line that - when healthy - probably consists of Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen. That should be one of the best in the league. Our #9-10 d-men were NHL players last season. Agostino looked like a top nine player last season and hasn't even been called up yet. We have plenty depth.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
After the money has been tied up and now lacking depth. Do they still have a realistic shot without any major roster moves?

Where does this lacking depth myth come from?
What part of the team is lacking it? I keep hearing we lack depth.

C - great depth
RW - great depth
LW - good depth
LHD - great depth
RHD - acceptable
G - could use a better backup

someone said we may lack depth next year.

Our forward group will be basically the same.

Depending on how the D situation plays out, maybe. But I see next year looking like:

Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren, one of - Barrie, Ceci, Muzzin.
Decent D group

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Yayyyyyyyyy something about our Leafs and hockey and not about poo face Babdick but yes about cups and parade routes and how great we are or how bad we are and fire this and fire that and this player sucks and that player sucks

ahhhhhhhh great to be home
That’s better
Where have you gone Leafs Nation

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Home is were the Leaf is

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They can make a run. I'm not sure they're built well enough for the playoffs, but I didn't think the Blues had a shot last year. It's possible. Another few weeks with Keefe, if it goes well, I may answer differently.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Anything can happen. Just make the playoffs is step #1. They've made it tough so far, but I believe they can pull through and make it an overall successful season.

Thrilled to hear about the change in practice today. Using multiple rinks, over 8+ coaches. Talk about taking advantage of your resources.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we need to get into a playoff position still and see more games with Keefe to have our answer.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Provided they make the playoffs -- yes -- but it's going to take a lot of effort to do that.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Going to be hard to make the playoffs.

Way ahead of us:
Washington
Boston
NY Islanders

Tampa has many games in hand

Then you got Montreal, Florida, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia we will be fighting with to get in.

Unless we go on a 10 game winning steak things will be hard down the stretch.
Hard attack time!

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
After what the Blues did last season, anything is possible. We gotta make the playoffs first though.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Anything can happen. Just make the playoffs is step #1. They've made it tough so far, but I believe they can pull through and make it an overall successful season.

Thrilled to hear about the change in practice today. Using multiple rinks, over 8+ coaches. Talk about taking advantage of your resources.

Where do you find out info about their practices?

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Looking at the Babcock's goal of 6 points in 5 game segments, last year we missed 6 segments.
This year we have played 5 segments so far and missed 4 segments.

If we now play as well as we did early last year we should have no problem making the playoffs.
We essentially have to play at .630 pace (103 point in 82 games) for the last 57 games. This core is capable of delivering. We dont need a 10 game win streak. Heck, if we get a 6 game win streak then we can continue to play at .600 pace like we were doing before that losing streak.

Once in the playoffs it would be interesting to see if the new style of play can compete for a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad